Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Miscellaneous [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Miscellaneous [BG] Music-related discussion, not specific to the bass or any other forum

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 11-13-2012, 08:26 AM

Side note: anyone else notice this year how various online retailers (clothing, music, electronics, car parts, toys, computers, etc.) are going with weirdo number (11, 12, 13 and 14%) percent deals? It's like the profit margins are getting smaller and they are cutting back on discount percentages that we used to see at 25, 20 and 15?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by placedesjardins View Post
Side note: anyone else notice this year how various online retailers (clothing, music, electronics, car parts, toys, computers, etc.) are going with weirdo number (11, 12, 13 and 14%) percent deals? It's like the profit margins are getting smaller and they are cutting back on discount percentages that we used to see at 25, 20 and 15?
For some, it may be that reason. For others, I know it's a form of A/B testing (cos that's part of my day job...).

Numbers are odd in retail. If a person buys something for $24.99, they tell their friends they purchased it for $24 (or $15, if they're telling their husband. But I digress... ). The retailers are trying to find a sweet spot of discount that makes the purchasers buy, but which doesn't lose them too much money. Everyone will buy at 50% off... hardly anyone cares about 5% off.

Taking your figures, would you pay $86 for a $100 item? Probably, yes. Would you pay $89 for it? Again, probably yes. But if it was over $90, you'd be happy to carry on shopping around. The store will analyse those figures, and see where most purchasers paid; if they can get $89, that's $3 extra profit, and they'll take it. But they'll also stick in a few 25%/30% loss-leaders to make the sale look attractive (or 52%, in the case of GC today on Gibson guitars - just try and find the few at that discount!)
Praise and Worship Bassist #812. British Bassists Club #134
Old 11-13-2012, 06:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Atlanta Dave
Supporting Member
My local GC is pretty good here in Atlanta. They frequently rotate in some great used bass gear and also put on some decent seminars.
Last week I couldn't pass up 20% off a Mogami cable in their Grab Box and used it for our weekend show--worked great.
Usually buy the cheapest guaranteed for life cables but couldn't resist tossing extra cash down the drain this time. (Flame ON!!)
I guess I just happen to live near one of Guitar Center's better stores and they've been helpful when needed.
Fender Precision Bass Club #31, Fender Jazz Club #236, MusicMan SUB Club #34, Georgia Bassists #72, Fender Highway One PBass, Squier II P Bass hotrod, and finally learning how to use 'em
Old 11-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Supporting Member

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryt View Post
Sent them a request for info on a used bass they have on their website - which IMO is one if the worst music gear dealer sites I've ever tried to navigate. Never got a reply, but apparently I made it onto their spam list.
They sent me this ad for a 48 hr long sale in which any one item is 12% off. There are the usual exclusions at the bottom - no used items, no other coupons, etc - but then there is a tiny link that says some manufacturers have chosen not to participate. I clicked on it, and here's the list. I can only think of a few brands GC carries that aren't on it:
Perception is funny. My thread title would be "Guitar Center Used is TOTALLY AWESOME"

They have two "used" sites and one is really bad. I use this one... http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgea...istance=100&ja

No biggie... give it a try. Just buy any bass that strikes your fancy. If you want details call the store for assistance.

I buy at least one used bass a month from Guitar Center Used online... often 2... sometimes 3.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO RISK: )

If I don't like it I return it to my local store for a full refund minus the $24 cost of shipping. I'm happy to have a used bass delivered to my front door, try it for 30 days... and return for a total cost of $24.

I usually keep at least half of the ones I buy for a couple months.

There are great deals to be had if you keep your eyes open...

I've got an unopened box sitting behind me right now... hmmm.. yep... it's my latest purchase from Guitar Center Used
Bongo Club #149 | Washburn Club #74

Last edited by ubnomnar : 11-13-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:44 PM

Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings

Guitar Center is hit or miss. It realy depends on you deal with. I have sent emails to stores in other states to inquire about gear. I usually get a response within 24 hours. The times that I didn't receive a response, I sent an email to their corporate office and received a response from the store the following day. I used to get about 30% of their retail price but have been told by employees at three different stores that they now have a policy that prohibits markdowns. My biggest gripe is that they have very few basses and bass amps in stock and what they do have is in the beginner to immediate range.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Total Hyper-Elite Member

Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordak View Post
Legally, those manufacturer's can set a minimum advertised price for their product. This helps big companies like those listed above sell across multiple dealer networks. Usually, the store manager will do it for you anyway (or at least 8% off) but GC is under contract to print that exclusions list.
I bought a couple Shure Super 55 mics on one of GC's 15 percent off coupons. You're right. They publish the list to satisfy their vendors, but what the vendors don't know won't hurt them. Shure is one of the vendors who are very adamant about not selling below MAP. But hey, it's GC.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Supporting Member
They're still the cheapest guys around...and I know quite a few folks at my local GC that treat me exceptionally well.
Jazz Bass Club #543 | GK Club #|Bass Tattoo #11|

My Band's Facebook page (DeClassified)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/DeC...46228488728307
Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 PM

Supporting Member
I like my local GC. Been going there for a long time. No complaints...besides the typical: "wish it was less expensive" type stuff.

Don't act your disease, defy it.

Fender Precision club member #63. LDS Cabinet Owner #17, Hartke Club Member #86
Old 11-13-2012, 08:27 PM

Well...they didn't list Pork Pie.
California Bassists Club #19
Lefty Who Plays Righty #245
Switch Hitters Club #30
Old 12-01-2012, 02:36 PM
TRemington

Supporting Member
Guitar Center is having their 15% off special with a trade-in this weekend. I've been wanting an Ampeg SVT 7-Pro for some time now. The local GC had a C00 model. I brought down a DOD FX25B pedal that had been sitting around. They gave me $20 in trade and it knocked the price down to $634.50 before tax. Works for me.
Medium Scale Club #70
Lone Wolf club #13
Texas Bassists # 183
Greenboy Designs official club #106