Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Miscellaneous [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Miscellaneous [BG] Music-related discussion, not specific to the bass or any other forum


Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 PM
malthumb's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The Motor City
Supporting Member
Guitar Center for the WIN!!

Went into a Guitar Center, offered to pay $485 for a guitar marked $509 CLEARANCE. Just $461 later I walked out with the guitar. Yep....got it for $24 LESS than I originally offered.

There was this one guitar at one of our local GCs that my oldest son played whenever we stopped in that store. He liked it so much he started saving to buy it. It was marked $599. He's saved up a lot of the money for it. In fact, he saved for and bought the two guitars he currently owns, so I have no doubt he would save enough for this one. I made a deal with him that if he finishes the school year above a 3.0, I'd spring for half. If he finished with a 3.5 or higher, I'd pop for the whole thing.

Over time, all the GCs in the area sold out of that model, EXCEPT for the one he always played at the one location. They marked it down to $509 to clear it out. So I went in today and offered $485. The guy I was working with pointed out that they can't discount clearance items, but he did something with taking the price out of the"clearance" range and then applied the current promotion and voila! Out the door at $461! Now I have to hide it until the school year is over.
__________________
  #2  
Old 01-25-2013, 01:10 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA
Send a message via MSN to plankspanker13 Send a message via Yahoo to plankspanker13 Send a message via Skype™ to plankspanker13
Great story.
__________________
Da Clubz: Genz Benz #107, Wick #119, G&L #113,
Hot Singerbabe #1, AZ Bands #2, Ol' Basstards #53
  #3  
Old 01-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Northern California
What kind of guitar? No hatin
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyco739z View Post
It weighs a million pounds... lol. Plugged in and it blew my head off!
  #4  
Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Temp Banned (TOS Violation)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nashville, Cats
Supporting Member
as somebody who deals with GC center all the time (for my own son), this story does my heart good...

for all the GC bashers out there, they are a good company and the sales people will try to work with you.

INDEED, GC FOR THE WIN!

  #5  
Old 01-25-2013, 01:23 PM
malthumb's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The Motor City
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassteban View Post
What kind of guitar? No hatin
Epiphone Casino
__________________
  #6  
Old 01-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Caca de Kick's Avatar
Sponsored by Jagermeister
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seattle / Tacoma
Supporting Member
What happens to his deal when he goes in to discover the guitar no longer there as well as being discontinued?
__________________
www.highnoonhorizon.com
  #7  
Old 01-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Registered User

Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South Shore, Massachusetts
I have had some bad experiences with GC but most have been positive.

They will usually only discount an item during a promotion most manufacturers will not let them discount new items.

My biggest complaint is that they carry very little for basses and bass amps. 95% of what they do have is MIM, Chinese of Korean made in the $300 to $600 range. I rarely find any MIA Fenders or anything else I would consider buying. As a result, I usually buy used.
__________________
"If you don't want the truth don't ask. Make up your own like everyone else does". (Michael Pare as Eddie Wilson/Joe West in Eddie and The Cruisers II).

Last edited by Kmonk : 01-25-2013 at 02:26 PM.
  #8  
Old 01-25-2013, 01:30 PM
mattattack187's Avatar
Bass Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orono, ME
Supporting Member
I love GC. I only wish my nearest one wasn't 115 miles away. I want to try one of those FSR Jazz Basses before they run out.
  #9  
Old 01-25-2013, 01:31 PM
malthumb's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The Motor City
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caca de Kick View Post
What happens to his deal when he goes in to discover the guitar no longer there as well as being discontinued?
It's not discontinued. Can still be ordered from GC, MF, or AMS. All have it priced at $599. Between now and June I can restrict our GC visits to the one that is 7 miles northwest of home instead of the one that is 7 miles southeast of home.
__________________
  #10  
Old 01-25-2013, 01:51 PM
MatticusMania's Avatar
LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pomona, SoCal
Send a message via Skype™ to MatticusMania
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthumb View Post
Between now and June I can restrict our GC visits to the one that is 7 miles northwest of home instead of the one that is 7 miles southeast of home.
Ah, the good GC vs the bad one.
__________________
Bassist/Vocalist for Sapient Sun
Next Show: TBA

Bassist Club: Veg#33 Buddhist#11 LGBT#5
  #11  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I win my parents would get me gear for good grades.
  #12  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dallas
Send a message via Skype™ to JamesGoodall
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthumb View Post
Now I have to hide it until the school year is over.
Speaking from experience, hide it someplace good. Two years ago I stumbled across my 18th birthday present hidden in my dads closet in this little nook where a shelf and a hanging rack meet and there's a space just enough to hide a bass still in the shipping box. Turns out it wasn't the right model that I had asked for (not playing spoiled, I checked the site [musicians friend] and they listed it as fretted when it was in fact a fretless), but there was no way I could tell my parents that, so a month later on my birthday I got to open up this box, feign surprise that I had gotten the bass that I had wanted for years at that point, and then feign dismay when I saw that it was a fretless model. We eventually found a US supplier with the right one though

Point being, kids are sneaky, and they find things. I'd recommend hiding it at a *trusted* friend or family member's house.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman666 View Post
It's the Tone Gnomes I tell ya !!
  #13  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:18 PM
ffutterman's Avatar
Talentless Bass Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Supporting Member
If he gets a 3.0, you gonna charge him half of the original price?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoa View Post
man, you just opened every can in the worm store.
Dean Club #65, Violin Bass Club #21, Lone Wolf Club #6, Alternative Gear Club #3
  #14  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:22 PM
malthumb's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The Motor City
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffutterman View Post
If he gets a 3.0, you gonna charge him half of the original price?
Plus tax.

Naw...$230.50. I happen to know he has more than that saved.
__________________
  #15  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:25 PM
malthumb's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The Motor City
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGoodall View Post
Speaking from experience, hide it someplace good. Two years ago I stumbled across my 18th birthday present hidden in my dads closet in this little nook where a shelf and a hanging rack meet and there's a space just enough to hide a bass still in the shipping box. Turns out it wasn't the right model that I had asked for (not playing spoiled, I checked the site [musicians friend] and they listed it as fretted when it was in fact a fretless), but there was no way I could tell my parents that, so a month later on my birthday I got to open up this box, feign surprise that I had gotten the bass that I had wanted for years at that point, and then feign dismay when I saw that it was a fretless model. We eventually found a US supplier with the right one though

Point being, kids are sneaky, and they find things. I'd recommend hiding it at a *trusted* friend or family member's house.
It's not just kids......

Once I had a custom bass built, but didn't mention it to "Mrs. Thumb". She happens to have a business baking specialty and designer cakes, among other things. I kept the new bass "hidden" in my mancave.

On my birthday that year she presented me with a cake decorated to look like the "hidden" bass. I got to eat cake and crow at the same time!
__________________
  #16  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Epiphone Casinos are cool, isn't that what John Lennon played? That's a cool story! My parents got me my first starter bass, an Aria, for getting a 4.0 my junior year. So you could say I' me here for a story like yours!

But how did you get it for lower than your offer?? Deets! I need to learn how to haggle like however you just did...
  #17  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:34 PM
malthumb's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The Motor City
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreRobot View Post
Epiphone Casinos are cool, isn't that what John Lennon played? That's a cool story! My parents got me my first starter bass, an Aria, for getting a 4.0 my junior year. So you could say I' me here for a story like yours!

But how did you get it for lower than your offer?? Deets! I need to learn how to haggle like however you just did...
Yes, Lennon popularized the Casino.

As I said, I offered him $485. He was willing to take that for it but was unable to offer a discount on a clearance item. I THINK that what he did was INCREASE the price so it could no longer be considered CLEARANCE, then applied the current promotion to it to bring the price back down. I don't know that for sure, but it seems to make sense.
__________________
  #18  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canyon Country, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmonk View Post
My biggest complaint is that they carry very little for basses and bass amps. 95% of what they do have is MIM, Chinese of Korean made in the $300 to $600 range. I rarely find any MIA Fenders or anything else I would consider buying. As a result, I usually buy used.
+1 to this. They've taken the "guitar" part of Guitar Center a little too seriously. Even their small market stores will have some $2k Gibson or PRS guitars. They'll have every top or color, even a few repeats on their massive walls. Then they'll have a dozen or so basses, all with dead strings, all cheaper models, and nothing that works to plug them in to.
Sam Ash is maybe a little better with brand selection, not at all with carrying high end, but still runs a 10:1 ratio of guitars to basses. Almost all stores make you feel like you are lucky they even have any basses. Lame.
__________________
Ancient Spell FB: http://www.facebook.com/ancientspellband
Pedulla Group #157, LOGger #441, Official Darkglass Group #44
  #19  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
You are a very cool dad!!!!!
__________________
Georgia Bassist Club Member # 3
Gallien-Krueger® Club Member # 868

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kludder/50248453201

http://www.harmonyofdistortion.com/kludder.cfm
  #20  
Old 01-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Jeff K's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Supporting Member
Ah, deja vu', Malthumb! I've done similar things for both of my sons. They both play bass and guitar, and over the years, they've fallen in love with many a guitar and bass (just like dear old dad!).

Sometimes when I'd find a sweet deal on something I knew they loved, I'd buy/hide it until a special event (birthday; Christmas) if it wasn't outlandishly priced. Both of their birthdays are close to Christmas, so they would be combination birthday/Christmas presents.

Sometimes I'd make them "deals" similar to what you did. Sometimes, I'd just buy it for them with the understanding that they'd pay me back in payments. They've always been true to their word and prompt with their payments. They're both in their 30s now, and it's good to see that they're both still into their music.
__________________
P-Bass Club #439
Fender Jazz Bass Club #38
Pennsylvania Bassists Club #18
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Visit TalkBass on Facebook   Download our iOS app   Download our Android app

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:10 PM.




© 2012 Talk Music Group Inc. All rights reserved.
Play guitar too? Visit TalkGuitar.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.