Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Miscellaneous [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Miscellaneous [BG] Music-related discussion, not specific to the bass or any other forum

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 01-04-2013, 12:25 PM

Non singing musicians on vocals

So, this thread was propmted by a video I saw of Jeff Beck performing with Eric Clapton. Beck actually did lead vocals on the song they were playing (Hi Ho The Silver Lining, was the song). I never knew prior that Jeff Beck ever sang, but he really wasn't that bad. He kind of sounded like Keith Richards and Ron Wood when they sing, but with a bit more range and melody. So Beck falls into the "can sing, but doesnt sing" category.

Conversley, Kenny G (Ive always wondered what he sang like), claims he cannot sing, and hence does not. He falls into the category of "can't sing, and doesn't sing". Plus, I suppose it's hard to play the alto sax and sing at the same time.

Jimmy Page. He sings back up on Communication Breakdown and a couple of other songs. Nothing great. I guess he's in the category of "maybe can sing, would be interesting to see".

So any other musicians you guys have wondered, "hmmm, I wonder if he can sing"? OR any non singing musicians you have seen try to sing, and maybe should not sing again (I would honestly lump Ron Wood in this category).

Last edited by powderfinger : 01-04-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:45 PM

Alex Lifeson
Blues Bass Players Club #154
"He plays the groove out of that bass!"
Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 PM

Supporting Member
StrangerDanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
I still think it would work, but I'm really, REALLY wrong about most things.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrednBass View Post
Alex Lifeson
Maybe I am mistaken, but I could have sworn I saw a video of him on YouTube singing once. Not at a Rush show, but at some sort of something in his hometown. Maybe I dreamed that.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:07 PM
Supporting Member

Supporting Member
Quote:
Alex Lifeson

He is in the "really can't sing but still does" catagory ... they just turn him down in the mix.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric5 View Post
He is in the "really can't sing but still does" catagory ... they just turn him down in the mix.
Is that comparing him to Geddy or on his own?
Old 01-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Supporting Member
Lou Reed and Ian Hunter, for the "can't sing, but has been singing for decades anyway" category.

Country Bassist Club #11(Please don't play A-11)
Old 01-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger.

Supporting Member
Phil Lesh falls into the "can't sing, but does sometimes anyway, but people really dig it because he's Phil Lesh."

Broken Arrow is a great song, but I feel its a testament to its greatness is that Phil sings it, and it's still a great song..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by hover View Post
He's got the Moo OO OO OO OO OO OO OObs like Jagger....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jive1 View Post
All you chubby white dudes look alike to me.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 PM

Here's Jimmy Page on lead vocals, since you were interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0isgc4EtQZU

Heres a clip of John Paul Jones singing That's The Way. Sounds pretty good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXiTKA8TMqs
Georgia Bassist Club #9
Gibson EB1 Member #2 (former)
Old 01-05-2013, 10:39 PM

Joe Satriani received a bunch of criticism for singing in Flying in a Blue Dream, but I think he did a pretty good job.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:47 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TolerancEJ View Post
Joe Satriani received a bunch of criticism for singing in Flying in a Blue Dream, but I think he did a pretty good job.
Yeah he does alright. On the same vein, I was surprised when I heard Steve Vai sing. His cover of the Kinks' "Celluloid Heroes" and his song "Love Blood" from The Elusive Light and Sound Vol. 1 are great songs.
USA Cirrus Club #75, SWR Club #95
Old 01-06-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazylion View Post
Lou Reed and Ian Hunter, for the "can't sing, but has been singing for decades anyway" category.
Lou Reed can't sing?

Then why do I enjoy listening to him sing so much?

He seems to have built a career around this supposed inability to sing.
Fender Jazz Bass Club #762
Black N Maple Club #438
I am an Ass Club #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BawanaRik View Post
A false rape charge is millions of times worse that any "rape" that may or may not have happened.
What song is it you wanna hear?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner5382 View Post
Here's Jimmy Page on lead vocals, since you were interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0isgc4EtQZU

Heres a clip of John Paul Jones singing That's The Way. Sounds pretty good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXiTKA8TMqs
Thanks for the clip of Jonesy. That was so great. I really dug that a whole lot.
Fender Jazz Bass Club #762
Black N Maple Club #438
I am an Ass Club #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BawanaRik View Post
A false rape charge is millions of times worse that any "rape" that may or may not have happened.
What song is it you wanna hear?
Old 01-06-2013, 01:03 AM

Steve Vai on "I know You're Here" was pretty good.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric5 View Post
I always suspected this too. At every Rush show I have been to, I see Alex walk up to the mic and appear to sing. However, his voice is rarely audible in the mix.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 AM

Jeff Berlin is another bassist that can sing but rarely does. I was amazed when he sang all of the lead vocals on Bruford's "Gradually Going Tornado" because I had no idea he could sing up until that point.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Alex Lifeson
+1

I saw Rush about a month ago in Philly, and for the first time ever I could clearly hear his backing vocals, and he has s pretty good voice. Would really love to see him do leads on a couple of Rush songs. WOuld make an epic band even more so.
Westone Club Member #18, Vintage Modified Jaguar Club, Rickenbacker # 390, PF #313
Old 01-06-2013, 01:16 AM

I don't know if you count backing singers taking over on lead for the odd song, but if so, Chris Wolstenholme of Muse (see Liquid State) and Mike Dirnt of Green Day (see Governator, Homecoming, American Eulogy and Sex, Drugs and Violence) are pretty damn good.
Lone Wolf Club #54 / There Will Never Be A Venue That Charges ME To Play Club #14 / The Switch-Hitters Club #42 / Soundcloud: theremovables
Old 01-07-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner5382 View Post

Jimmy Page sorta sounds like Ray Davies (early Kinks) a bit. Interesting.

JPJ isn't so bad either.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:03 AM

I just thought of another non singing musician who sings (seldomly) but should serioulsy not. Now,. let me preface, this guy is one of the coolest bassists ever, but Tom Peterson from Cheap Trick. I've seen him live twice, sing "I Know What I Want", and it's indescribably bad. Its like bad karaoke level bad. It's like, how in the hell did he ever get Robin and Rick to let him sing?

On the other hand, I saw REO Speedwagon a couple of years ago, and their bassist did a song on lead vocals, and wasnt bad at all. Cant remember the title of the song, just remember thinking, "wow, this guy can sing".