Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Miscellaneous [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Miscellaneous [BG] Music-related discussion, not specific to the bass or any other forum

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 11-13-2012, 10:52 PM

I just want to say it's not just females who don't care for Rush. Don't hurt me.
LGBT Bassist #36 - Mike Gordon Fan Club #5 - Short Scale Bass Club #418 - Ampeg Club #938
Old 11-13-2012, 11:05 PM
GOLD Supporting Member

GOLD Supporting Member
Rush is like music for Engineers

Well, since this thread is mostly about wild theories based on clichés. I will add mine: "Rush is like music for Engineers".

Odd time signatures, weird chord progressions, medieval or futuristic lyrics, bizarre stage aesthetics (i.e. washing machines, rotisserie, etc.), clueless about wardrobes (i.e. remember the kimonos/bathrobes era?), etc.

If you look at the ratio of men versus women in Engineering schools, you will notice that it matches the demographic at Rush's concerts.

It used to be 10 men for 1 women in Engineering schools in the seventies. Now, it is about 6 men for about 4 women. It is an evolutionary process dictated by sociological and anthropological vectors.

QED
Fender Bassman Club Member #43
Le Club des Francophones #16
"What happens in a drunken stupor, stays in a drunken stupor" -- Rob Ford
Old 11-13-2012, 11:11 PM

I will never for the life of me understand what the big appeal of Rush is, and I'm a guy myself. I've tried, really tried to like them, but I just don't get it. There music is very boring to me. However, Rush could be that band I listen to 15 years from now and be like .. "OH, now I get it, I like these guys now!" lol.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:53 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyS View Post
I feel like I'm in the same boat as you. No one I know outside of TalkBass listens to Rush (male or female). My friends make me feel even more awkward about it, since I'm black and female. I would love to go to a Rush concert, but I would have to accept the fact that I'd be going alone.
Awwww, yay! Another female Rush fan!
Ibanez Club Member #1115; Florida Bassists Club #247; MikroWorld #48; John Paul Jones Fan Cub #32; Girl Bass Player Club #74; Phil Lesh Appreciation Society #99
Old 11-14-2012, 03:57 AM

I don't know anybody at all who listens to Rush, male or female. I suppose you have to be of a certain age, and own quite a large number of space marines.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:58 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevteop
I don't know anybody at all who listens to Rush, male or female. I suppose you have to be of a certain age, and own quite a large number of space marines.
Nope. You just have to like good music
Sadowsky Club #259|Gallien Krueger Club #922
EBMM Club #70|Modulus Mob #8
Effects Addict #14|Mesa Boogie Club #33
Old 11-14-2012, 05:14 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCity View Post
Maiden and Priest come to mind. I don't know why these bands don't have a lot of female fans, but they all have a few things in common.
I don't know about Priest but I was at a Maiden show earlier this year and was amazed by how many women were there. The only other rock/metal act I have been to with as many girls in the audience was Alice Cooper.

If you want a sausage fest get yourself down to a Motorhead show...
Old 11-14-2012, 05:16 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoTone View Post
Well, since this thread is mostly about wild theories based on clichés. I will add mine:
All in the finest traditions of TalkBass!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearer

Supporting Member
My brother's wife's mother loves Rush. And she knows nothing about playing an instrument......she didn't even realize that Rush is "progressive" until I pointed it out.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM

One of my first dates with my wife was the Roll the Bones concert. We've seen them 4 more times since then...she's gone with me to see Primus too...
Old 11-14-2012, 04:18 PM

Maybe the inverse question would be why don't more guys listen to Christina Aguilera?
Club Clement #27
There Will Never be a Venue that Charges ME to Play Club #42 (The Larch)
Old 11-14-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWB
Maybe the inverse question would be why don't more guys listen to Christina Aguilera?
Because the music sucks? I don't think I could say that for Rush. I love Christina Aguilera videos...on mute...
Old 11-15-2012, 01:48 AM

The misogyny in this thread is really surprising. Seems like quite a few people don't really understand how women function. You know, just like us males. You don't have to throw out "emotions" and "there's no sexy romance". Different races, regions, cultures, cities, countries, etc all have certain trends and interests they gravitate to, it's no different with men vs women. Each side has preferences and it doesn't add up to anything negative or weird. There are plenty of Rush worshipping girls out there and tons of men into dancey pop music. Interests alone can't define anyone, they can only be things you evolve alongside and dedicate yourself to.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflash4001 View Post
Because the music sucks? I don't think I could say that for Rush. I love Christina Aguilera videos...on mute...
Doh!

I should have put the little winkie on the end of that question.

I was not entirely serious, except to make the point that there is a lot of music that doesn't appeal to men. So it may stand to reason that there's music that doesn't appeal to women, which may include Rush.
Club Clement #27
Old 11-15-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilometers View Post
There are plenty of Rush worshipping girls out there and tons of men into dancey pop music.
Look at album purchasing demographics. Do you really think that more men buy dancy pop albums? Or that women buy more Rush albums?

Do you think that there may be a difference in purchasing and listening demographics there?
Club Clement #27
Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 AM

I asked my wife the same question. Her answer: "Because they suck!" I agree. Your mileage may vary.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWB View Post
Look at album purchasing demographics. Do you really think that more men buy dancy pop albums? Or that women buy more Rush albums?

Do you think that there may be a difference in purchasing and listening demographics there?
No definitely not on the first part. I said plenty, not that that more men were buying pop albums than women. There's definitely a difference like I said.

Last edited by Kilometers : 11-15-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:52 PM

Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups

Supporting Member
Asking why Rush isn't popular with the ladies is like asking why Justin Bieber isn't popular with teenage boys. DUH!!!
Ampeg Portaflex Club #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans-on-toast View Post
Tweeters are for the birds.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:55 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Most of the girls I know tend to like music that is easy to dance to. Rush doesn't exactly fit that bill.
Hate to stereotype, but that's generally true. Women like to dance...9/8 time is not as well suited to that
Old 11-15-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilometers View Post
Each side has preferences and it doesn't add up to anything negative or weird.
Oh yeah, I think this is key. And I agree that it's wrong to make any judgement statements about gender-based musical preferences. I've been a bit slow-witted today.
Club Clement #27