Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Miscellaneous [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Miscellaneous [BG] Music-related discussion, not specific to the bass or any other forum

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 02:30 PM

Same with me...about 12 years ago I bought a 1979 Rickenbacker 4001 in a pawn shop for $180 including tax and the original case. If anyone here thinks I'm selling that Ric (it's not for sale) for what I paid for it, you've got mental issues. Absolutely no way would that happen.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:04 PM

Brubaker Guitars

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by spade2you View Post
If I had half your luck on used bass deals, I'd still suck at fractions.
I actually just choked laughing at this one.

www.brubakerguitars.com
FS:1980 Carl Thompson fretless 4,
Old 01-01-2013, 07:24 PM

Supporting Member
I bought a MIA P Deluxe off Craigslist for $500. It was the asking price . I sold it two months later for $850 on the bay.

I feel no remorse.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:07 PM

I have been accused of this in the past, but lets look at what happened.

I bought a Fbass BN4 (never should have sold that thing and have missed it since) for $1000 (it was in rough shape) US. Add in shipping, border fees and the exchange rate and the entire thing cost be roughly $1500 Canadian by the time it hit my door step. By the time I went and sold it, the exchange rate had changed considerably, so I listed it for $1500 US, which was about $1500 Canadian at the time. I got countless PM's saying that I was trying to hose fellow TBers, I wasn't; I was simply recouping my costs for the bass. In the end, it quickly sold for what I was asking and the new owner was very happy with it. Although, I wish it hadn't sold :/

lowsound
Old 01-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Send a message via Skype™ to two fingers
GOLD Supporting Member
OP, just because you choose to act a certain way in business dealings, that does not mean that everyone should. I don't know where you live. But here in the states, profit has become the enemy. But if I can buy something cheap, and sell it for a profit, what;s the problem. While I like and respect everyone here, we are NOT family. If I buy or sell something here, it's BUSINESS. I will do business honestly. I will not tell you something that is not true. But if I turn a profit, or break even on an item, that;s simply none of your business.

Here's one thing to think about. Let's say I buy a bass from "Hammer Head" (just made up) for $400. When I get it, it's everything Hammer Head said it would be. Our deal is done. However, after playing the bass for a couple of weeks, I realize it's just not all I thought it would be. Are you saying that the ONLY fair and just thing to do is take a huge hit on the price after playing it for only a couple of weeks?????? Seriously? It's the SAME BASS I just bought for $400!

Grow up. Money isn't evil. Profit isn't evil. It's just business. If you don't want something at the price I am asking, DON'T BUY IT. If someone does, they will be SATISFIED with their purchase. So what's the PROBLEM?

Full disclosure: I have only bought on TB and have never sold anything. But if you DO sell something at even or for a profit, good for you.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:40 PM

Buy and sell for whatever price you want, the TB members will judge you accordingly. If you occasionally sell stuff here and do so at fair market rates or better you'll be viewed mostly positive and will have a strong following of buyers. However, if you are a professional "flipper" (of which there are a few here on TB) then be equally prepared to wear that label when applied.

Hint for those of you buying gear on TB - look in the seller's profile at the new threads and postings history they have. If they have very few contributions to the general TB discussions forums and nearly all their activity on this site is in the gear for sale section they are most likely a "flipper" and in my book not worth dealing with. "Flippers" are low lifes that generally don't give a darn about the quality of the gear they sell or the person buying it, they just want the most money they can get on a quick turnaround, at your expense.

Just don't confuse high volume sellers with "flippers". There are a lot of quality TB members that sell and buy a lot of gear and contribute a lot to the discussions on this forum. Chances are they won't be selling gear they just purchased a few weeks ago very often and when they do it most likely will be for about what they paid for it, that's not a "flipper" that's more likely a person with GAS.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBassman View Post
When a sale happens at TB, it should be like selling to family.
Why would you think that?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:47 PM

Supporting Member
Yeah i dont understand that either. I personally cant stand my own family (outside of my mom and pop of course).
Old 01-01-2013, 11:16 PM
Total Hyper-Elite Member

Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBassNorth View Post
Buy and sell for whatever price you want, the TB members will judge you accordingly. If you occasionally sell stuff here and do so at fair market rates or better you'll be viewed mostly positive and will have a strong following of buyers. However, if you are a professional "flipper" (of which there are a few here on TB) then be equally prepared to wear that label when applied.

Hint for those of you buying gear on TB - look in the seller's profile at the new threads and postings history they have. If they have very few contributions to the general TB discussions forums and nearly all their activity on this site is in the gear for sale section they are most likely a "flipper" and in my book not worth dealing with. "Flippers" are low lifes that generally don't give a darn about the quality of the gear they sell or the person buying it, they just want the most money they can get on a quick turnaround, at your expense.

Just don't confuse high volume sellers with "flippers". There are a lot of quality TB members that sell and buy a lot of gear and contribute a lot to the discussions on this forum. Chances are they won't be selling gear they just purchased a few weeks ago very often and when they do it most likely will be for about what they paid for it, that's not a "flipper" that's more likely a person with GAS.
Hmmm. Seems to me "flipping" is buying something at one price and selling it for more in a short period of time. If the new buyer gets a reasonable deal on his purchase, how does the length of time between transactions make a difference? I don't flip things, but I don't have any issues with those who do as long as no one is getting bamboozled or hornswoggled. BTW, I have over 28,000 posts.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:51 PM
Total Hyper-Elite Member

Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego

GOLD Supporting Member
I just re-read the thread title, "Very disappointing when TBers try to make more than they should on a sale." The word "should" is what makes the whole concept problematic. Who is the arbiter of "should"? Are you, the OP, the one who decides how much one "should" charge for a piece of gear? Have you unilaterally decided that sellers here "should" take a loss on a sale, out of their feelings of camaraderie toward the 187,000 members of TalkBass? Who "should" decide how much a seller "should" charge for an item?

Leaving it to market forces solves the dilemma. If the seller sets the price too high, the item languishes in the ads, falling deeper and deeper into the abyss until he, in an act of futility, bumps the post. Eventually, after numerous fruitless bumps, he'll say, "Hmm. I 'should' have set the price lower." He sets the price lower, it sells, and everyone then knows how much he "should" have sold it for.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Temp Banned (TOS Violation)

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munjibunga View Post
I just re-read the thread title, "Very disappointing when TBers try to make more than they should on a sale." The word "should" is what makes the whole concept problematic. Who is the arbiter of "should"? Are you, the OP, the one who decides how much one "should" charge for a piece of gear? Have you unilaterally decided that sellers here "should" take a loss on a sale, out of their feelings of camaraderie toward the 187,000 members of TalkBass? Who "should" decide how much a seller "should" charge for an item?

Leaving it to market forces solves the dilemma. If the seller sets the price too high, the item languishes in the ads, falling deeper and deeper into the abyss until he, in an act of futility, bumps the post. Eventually, after numerous fruitless bumps, he'll say, "Hmm. I 'should' have set the price lower." He sets the price lower, it sells, and everyone then knows how much he "should" have sold it for.
and that is the answer...why is it disappointing? they never will succeed. unless they go out and drag potential buyers in and put a gun to their heads, it is literally impossible for them to ACTUALLY make too much on a sale.

let them put a price of 10,000.00 on a MIM squier jazz...so what?...they will never get it.

if the seller and the potential buyer reach an agreement, it is per se not TOO MUCH....how could it be? the seller and the buyer have reached an agreement, VOLUNTARILY.

you might as well say you are disappointed that potential buyers want to pay too little for a particular item. after all, we are all brothers and sisters here in TB. buyers should be glad to pay whatever you ask because of the bonds of brotherhood...

Nope...that is not how it works and never will be...items are "worth" whatever the buyer and seller agree on. not a penny more...not a penny less.

that's the way it SHOULD be, and that's the way it is.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to Lackey
Amen. I will take those final posts as gospel.

Thread closed. Oh wait, I'm not a mod.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesomedave View Post
you might as well say you are disappointed that potential buyers want to pay too little for a particular item. after all, we are all brothers and sisters here in TB. buyers should be glad to pay whatever you ask because of the bonds of brotherhood...

Nope...that is not how it works and never will be...items are "worth" whatever the buyer and seller agree on. not a penny more...not a penny less.

that's the way it SHOULD be, and that's the way it is.

I like this, and
If anyone is interested I have a one of a kind Squier Classic Vibe, in White with a Tortoise guard.
You may be saying
"there's lots of those"
But I assure you there is no other like it on the planet.

This one has special "mojo" that makes it VERY unique.
The grain in the wood is extremely unique to ONLY this bass. Not another bass has this wood grain.
That's what you need! A true one off bass.

And it was once owned by a VERY well known (by me) bassist.
It is capable of some of the worlds greatest bass guitar playing. (In the right hands)

I'm asking a VERY fair (to me) price of
$17,599.00 TODAY ONLY!!!!!

Buy it now, each day it doesn't sell I'll raise the price by $1,000.00 because I know how much we're like family, and I know how much you want me to feel like I got a good sale price.

Last edited by 1SHOT1HIT : 01-02-2013 at 04:32 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:36 AM

Supporting Member
You can tell over priced by post that have been hanging around for months,No sales only bumps!!!!,Or post on there own for sale under a different user name????
Old 01-02-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Hmmm. Seems to me "flipping" is buying something at one price and selling it for more in a short period of time.
That's correct and the point I was trying to make.

Quote:
If the new buyer gets a reasonable deal on his purchase, how does the length of time between transactions make a difference? I don't flip things, but I don't have any issues with those who do as long as no one is getting bamboozled or hornswoggled. BTW, I have over 28,000 posts.
The big difference between a "flipper" and a legit buyer is the buyer is usually buying with the intent to own something. Maybe for a long period if he/she really likes it, maybe for a short period if no so satisfied. However the "flipper" really has no intention of keeping the product, it's all about buying cheap and selling ASAP for profit.

Where I have a problem with some TBers (BTW you're not one of them, I'd buy from you any day) is when they are really only on this site to snatch up gear that is priced relatively reasonably (probably because people like the OP feel this site is kind of a bass brotherhood and therefor prices are frequently set near rock bottom vs other sites like eBay). With those people it's not uncommon to see them list the newly aquired gear up for sale on ebay or in some cases TB at a significantly higher price than they just paid. That's a flipper, and I dont bother with them.

It's all fair game and I wouldn't stop them from trying to make a buck. They just wont make one from me.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Temp Banned (TOS Violation)

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBassNorth View Post
... However the "flipper" really has no intention of keeping the product, it's all about buying cheap and selling ASAP for profit.

Where I have a problem with some TBers (BTW you're not one of them, I'd buy from you any day) is when they are really only on this site to snatch up gear that is priced relatively reasonably (probably because people like the OP feel this site is kind of a bass brotherhood and therefor prices are frequently set near rock bottom vs other sites like eBay). With those people it's not uncommon to see them list the newly aquired gear up for sale on ebay or in some cases TB at a significantly higher price than they just paid. That's a flipper, and I dont bother with them.

It's all fair game and I wouldn't stop them from trying to make a buck. They just wont make one from me.
i have absolutely no problem with you feeling that way and with your proposed course of conduct.

all i am saying is that these so-called "flippers" (and i really do not like that term) are just acting as THEY see fit also, and trying to make an honest buck (again, assuming they really do sell honestly, listing accurately etc).

no need to bad mouth them. if you want to buy...buy, if you don't...don't

Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Johnson View Post
I actually just choked laughing at this one.
I was pretty proud of myself for typing that one.

Kidding aside, timing and luck have never been on my side when it comes to buying and selling. Naturally, after I make a guitar/bass purchase or simply can't splurge is when I see the awesome deals. I saw a few really nice sub-$2k Alembics and missed out on a nice Hamer 12 string recently. When I'm in a position to buy, I simply don't see this stuff.
Fretless club member #6
6 String Bass Club Member #115
Club Bordwell #8
Peavey Cirrus Club Member #12
Bands
www.myspace.com/samoakesbass1/2/09 updated!!!!
www.myspace.com/queueonline
Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesomedave View Post
i have absolutely no problem with you feeling that way and with your proposed course of conduct.

all i am saying is that these so-called "flippers" (and i really do not like that term) are just acting as THEY see fit also, and trying to make an honest buck (again, assuming they really do sell honestly, listing accurately etc).

no need to bad mouth them. if you want to buy...buy, if you don't...don't

Are you saying that describing the MO of flippers is badmouthing? I don't deal with flippers either.
When a "seller" on this site has started 101 threads and at least 95 of them are "for sale" posts, that person is using this site for his business and not for community. (Those are not made up stats).
I don't deal with people who use this site to buy things they don't even want, and use this site to take advantage of other community members. This ain't Ebay.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 AM

Records of Existence/PyrE owner

Supporting Member
I've started TEN times more for sale threads than other threads, but that is no measure of my activity here. i'm involved in alot of discussions, I just don't "start" many of them. I've bought and sold a hundred different transactions here in a little over 3 years and 90% of my started threads are in the classifieds. does that make me a "flipper" or just a guy that discovered a trusted place where I could try out tons of pedals, amps, and basses on my way to finding what worked for me at the same time I had some extra cash?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:13 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turock
. . .

When a "seller" on this site has started 101 threads and at least 95 of them are "for sale" posts, that person is using this site for his business and not for community. (Those are not made up stats).

. . .
That's hardly fair. I don't think I've started a single thread outside of the classifieds section. Never really felt I had a good enough reason to. But I do contribute to other threads when I feel so inclined.

I'd just rather sell here rather then on ebay or CL.
EBS Reidmar 250
Closed Thread