Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG] Bass jokes, musician jokes, gigs gone wrong...

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-19-2011, 01:51 PM

Supporting Member
ahhh craigslist

So i post a bass for sale on craigslist , i ma asking 1200$ its a ric 4003 and i am firm on the price as Its really fair and for sale here to , here is an email i got in reply to my add ,

Wow!

I was going to offer a grand and to come down to Albany to pick it up, today. However, with your attitude I will only wish you luck in finding someone who will put up with it.

Merry ****ing Christmas to you too! And that's firm!

My reply - I dont see what your freaking out about? you sir have the attitude. I have many interested parties so obviously your the one with a problem , good luck taking care of that.

His reply-

Gotcha!

(10 minutes later)

So, you're not interested in my offer?

Conclusion-craigslist is a strange place , reserved for the obviously mentally insane.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Talentless Bass Enthusiast

Supporting Member
Maybe he was sincerely wishing you a joyful and promiscuous Christmas
Dean Club #65, Violin Bass Club #21, Lone Wolf Club #6, Alternative Gear Club #3
Old 12-19-2011, 02:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vintage Guy
Supporting Member
That is why I always post my phone # on CL. I hate dealing with the stupid emails you end up getting. If someone is serious they will call. I have sold many a bass there that way.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:04 PM

Supporting Member
I have sold many basses , but after a time I took my number down due to dicks like this and having people call me as late as 1 am even when i stated not to , i perfer to be emailed a number first
Old 12-19-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Step-Towards View Post
Conclusion-craigslist is a strange place , reserved for the obviously mentally insane.
This sounds eerily similar to my CL encounter - I put up a Squier VM Jazz with Gotoh 201 plus a gig bag for $200, price I'd consider fair. A particular chain of emails went something like this:

Him: I can buy a new one for that money. You're ****ing delusional.
Me: That's a really great deal. Good for you!
Him: <insert all kinds of explicitives>

A week later, after I had sold it without any complaints:

Him: Is this still available?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:33 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to JohnMCA72
I don't know why you wasted the keystrokes to reply to him in the first place.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:18 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMCA72 View Post
I don't know why you wasted the keystrokes to reply to him in the first place.
+1
Old 12-20-2011, 04:44 AM

Supporting Member
If you ever watch "Hardcore Pawn" on TV (I only see it rarely, don't have a TV at my place right now) there are actually a lot of people out there that will behave like this. Some way or another they seem to reason that the attitude displayed here will bring you down to their price, or whatever it is they might want.
Gallien-Krueger Club #640
Old 12-20-2011, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Guy View Post
That is why I always post my phone # on CL. I hate dealing with the stupid emails you end up getting. If someone is serious they will call. I have sold many a bass there that way.
On the contrary, I would much rather put up with emails such as this one than post my unlisted phone number for all to see. What makes you think a caller would necessarily be serious about buying your item? This back and forth could have ended much sooner had the seller just deleted the offensive email and not engaged in written dialogue.

Last edited by baileyboy : 12-20-2011 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyboy View Post
On the contrary, I would much rather put up with emails such as this one than post my unlisted phone number for all to see. What makes you think a caller would necessarily be serious about buying your item? This back and forth could have ended much sooner had the seller just deleted the offensive email and not engaged in written dialogue.
^^^This^^^ Talk is cheap, whether by phone or email. Somebody responds, in an other-than-businesslike manner, and I simply don't respond (screen by email first). Who wants to respond to some Richard-cranium whose sole purpose is just to try to beat you down anyway? Price it fair and don't deal with dillweeds.

(Having much better results dealing with tb'ers than CL anyway, too many tire-kickers on CL, IMO)
Rickenbacker Club #230
Gibson Club #124 Tbird Club #26
Fender Precision Club #46 47 48
50+ Club #46
Old 12-20-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Step-Towards View Post
So i post a bass for sale on craigslist , i ma asking 1200$ its a ric 4003 and i am firm on the price as Its really fair and for sale here to , here is an email i got in reply to my add ,

Wow!

I was going to offer a grand and to come down to Albany to pick it up, today. However, with your attitude I will only wish you luck in finding someone who will put up with it.

Merry ****ing Christmas to you too! And that's firm!

My reply - I dont see what your freaking out about? you sir have the attitude. I have many interested parties so obviously your the one with a problem , good luck taking care of that.

His reply-

Gotcha!

(10 minutes later)

So, you're not interested in my offer?

I almost blew milk out my nose with your last comment. I just had to add it to my sig. Thank you sir for making my morning
Lone Wolf Club #32 Canadian Club #220, Tricked out Squier Club # 149, Black n' Maple Club #480, Rumble Club #18, 5 String Club 578
Old 12-20-2011, 06:09 AM
Banned

Never give a phone number and if you insist on it, spell it out with letters not numbers. Trust me. And set up an alias Gmail account to use so your main account isn't spammed to death.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:31 AM

Be carefull listing home phone numbers on websites for the "mentally insane". There is a reverse number search on the internet that will list the home address and resident name associated with the phone number. Cell phones and most unlisted phone numbers are exempt from the reverse search I believe. However, I can't imagine why anyone would want to provide a mobile number so some delusional schmuck can harass you anytime of the day or night or an unlisted number that you have to pay to keep unlisted while the said schmuck is writing it all over bathroom walls at the local crack houses.
Seems to me that a Craigslist ad should have a dedicated gmail account where all the riff-raff can apply and you can shut down anytime you want.
And for heavens sake, pick a safe neutral location for the money and merchandise exchange, like across the street from the local police station or a bank parking lot that has cameras everywhere. There really are some strange and insane people on Craigslist - buyer or seller beware.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:41 AM

Supporting Member
I would have offered it to him for $1500.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Owner of the GK Angry Bird amp

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike42 View Post
I would have offered it to him for $1500.
LOL, my mom did that once with a truck she was selling, had two people out at the same time tos ee it, fist offers her the asking price, second ups it by 100 because he really wants it. First guy gets all pissed off because "That's not what 'OBO' means". Mom's like, "well his offer is *better*, that's what the B in OBO stands for!" It was hilarious to watch because the first guy was so upset about it.

Mediocre Bassist Club #703 - WA Bassist #74 - LGBT bass player #38 - Gallien-Krueger Club #904
Old 12-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Jinkies!

Supporting Member
heheh "Richard Cranium" love it.

#00 Bass Players In Recovery Club
Old 12-20-2011, 09:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to JohnMCA72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaamE View Post
LOL, my mom did that once with a truck she was selling, had two people out at the same time tos ee it, fist offers her the asking price, second ups it by 100 because he really wants it. First guy gets all pissed off because "That's not what 'OBO' means". Mom's like, "well his offer is *better*, that's what the B in OBO stands for!" It was hilarious to watch because the first guy was so upset about it.
When I used to be in the auction business, we had a saying: "If you've got 2 serious buyers, you've got an auction!" Let the fun begin!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:59 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBassNorth View Post
However, I can't imagine why anyone would want to provide a mobile number so some delusional schmuck can harass you anytime of the day or night or an unlisted number that you have to pay to keep unlisted while the said schmuck is writing it all over bathroom walls at the local crack houses.
Seems to me that a Craigslist ad should have a dedicated gmail account where all the riff-raff can apply and you can shut down anytime you want.
And for heavens sake, pick a safe neutral location for the money and merchandise exchange, like across the street from the local police station or a bank parking lot that has cameras everywhere. There really are some strange and insane people on Craigslist - buyer or seller beware.
Depends on where you live. Here in Fort Collins Colorado, I've sold two basses in the past 72 hours - and I listed my cell phone for the contact. I have gotten some spam emails from Craigslist postings, but so far, over the past three years of occasional Craigslist postings, I have never gotten a crank phone call.

Maybe our crazy factor is a bit lower here.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Decidedly Indecisive

Supporting Member
The "meet at a neutral" location rule is a great one, though only useful of course for an item that can be transported there. I sold a treadmill and a bowflex last year and had to of course have a prospective buyer come to the house. But I make sure that they 100% want it before they show up and I ask to see the cash (cash only) before they even set foot inside.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:53 PM

Not Dumb or Wacky, just unusual

I am sure this is a nice instrument but how often would you actually need to use it?

Carvin double neck bass - $1200 (Van Nuys)
Date: 2011-12-21, 12:53PM PST
Reply to: sale-k8nas-2764323032@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
This is a mint condition bass one neck fretted and the other fretless for the serious jazz sound. It has all gold inlays and comes with hard shell case. 818-723-4203 Jerry.

Carvin double neck bass
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Double neck bass1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	241397  Click image for larger version

Name:	Double neck bass2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	241398