Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG] Bass jokes, musician jokes, gigs gone wrong...

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 10-31-2012, 01:09 PM

Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings

Just had one last night where I was playing bass with Queen at Wembley Stadium.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:40 PM

[quote=superdick2112;13369160]I have a recurring dream where I'm playing a gig & the neck on my bass starts to turn all "rubbery", and I have to try & straighten it out while still playing the song.

QUOTE]

I have that same freakin', recurring nightmare!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:46 PM

You know, if our bandmates ever see this thread it will solidify the notion that bassists are wierd people.

The only bass-related dream I remember is a couple of years ago I dreamt that Geddy Lee was trying to talk me into playing bass with Rush on a song they wrote for Moving Pictures that didn't make the cut, and he was going to play keys on it. I told him I didn't even know the song and he said, "Don't worry, I'll walk you through it." I could hear the crowd screaming on the other side of the curtain (the scene looked suspiciously like the cover art for Exit Stage Left) and suddenly I woke up.

Westone Club Member #18, Vintage Modified Jaguar Club, Rickenbacker # 390, PF #313

Last edited by Spectrum : 10-31-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell L View Post
Dreamed I was late for a symphony orchestra concert . It was a nightmare (that awful feeling, ya know?..
A lot like the one I've had a number of times. Heading out for a gig, I'm driving and driving, can't find the f'n venue! Getting more and more pissed off... then I wake up and think "what was the point of that??"

Yeah, kind of tired of that one...

Country Bassist Club #11(Please don't play A-11)
Old 11-02-2012, 05:29 PM

I had this dream a few years back (while I was in the midst of my 20 hiatus from playing) that I was able to play Metropolis Pt. 1 flawlessly. I wish I could do it while I'm awake now.
Praise and Worship Band Bassists Club #804, Mediocre Bassists Club #624, Ibanez Club #736, Lefties who play Righty #233, Country Bassist #55
Old 11-02-2012, 10:39 PM

My dreams are usually about some type of anxiety. My typical dream is that I have a big gig to play, but something is stopping me from doing it. Either I can't get to the venue, equipment is missing, something is broken, another band member is missing, etc. I'm mad because I really wanted to do the show but something stopped it from happening. It only gets worse when I wake up, because I realize I missed the dream gig AND I have to go to my crappy day job...
Old 11-03-2012, 01:15 AM

After watching "The Song Remains the Same" for the umpteenth time, I dreamt I was JPJ, seeimng the band and crowd through his eyes, only to wake up disappointed that I wasn't. Duh. But it took me looking in the mirror and not seeing the frilly shirt and, uh, hairstyle (I'm bald, fwiw) to realize I wasn't he. Other times just dreamt of gigs long ago and being sad that they weren't from the previous night.
Fisherman Bassist's Club #3-P-Bass Club #611-Behringer Club #58-"Beards" Club #85-LWPR Club #97
Old 11-03-2012, 02:19 AM

I had a dream I was playing a sell-out gig at the Birmingham NEC, when before I go on stage, Arnold Schwarzenegger hands me a black/maple Musicman Stingray. I thank him and shake his hand.
I start playing, when I realise I'm onstage with Muse. Then the Stingray turns to custard in my hands, and I look to the side of the stage to see Arnie doing a seal laugh behind the curtain, waving at me.
Then I woke up

Last edited by CauliColin : 11-03-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:37 AM
Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Supporting Member
Mid-late 1990s: dreamt that I subbed for Cliff Williams at an AC/DC show. Back then I was in my 6-string phase and, lo and behold, I was playing a 6-string! The only other thing I can recall is Brian Johnson standing really close to me, so I do a little solo, causing Johnson to bust out laughing and walking back to center-stage. It lasted but mere seconds.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketgroove View Post
I have dreams, not infrequently, about my bass breaking or being somehow destroyed. Some of them have been so real that I wake up in a cold sweat, desperately grasping for my bass.
Oh Man, same here. Just last week was dreaming I was at an outdor function, I remember a camp fire and it was night. I leaned my bass against a bronze color, mid size car. We(?) were getting ready to leave, I picked up my hardshell case and realized, hmm its awfully light, then it struck me, I realized it was empty, NO! as I turned to grab my bass the car drove away, running it over, breaking it into several pieces. I woke up a tremoring, sweaty, crying mess. I quickly rolled over to see my Fender J sitting safely in its stand, gleaming at me. Whew! I have no idea what it means..if anything, other than I really luv my bass. lol. Glad its not just me.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:41 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to JamesGoodall
I dreamed a few weeks ago that my custom came in... But it was a hideous piece if crap that looked like the luthier gave the schematics to a 4 year old, who re-drew them, and then proceed to build it with all the finesse of a rhinoceros
Old 11-03-2012, 04:08 PM

I had a dream that I got back stages passes and the only member that would talk to me was the bassist. This dream happened five years before I ever considered picking up a bass.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:35 PM

I'm not feeling well and just took a nap. I dreamed that I was playing a bass, not one of mine I don't think (you know how dreams are), and I lifted my right hand off the bridge and was like "what the...", it was covered with green gunk and rust from my sweaty hand.
Ibanez Club #669 ♦ Carvin Club #178 ♦ Gallien-Krueger Club #705 ♦ The 5-String Club #425 ♦ Rickenbacker Club #435 ♦ Georgia Bassist Club #52
Old 11-03-2012, 06:04 PM

Haha! Love this thread! +10000000

Not a night dream, but a day dream, so hope it counts:
"I dream that I'm at a concert and the band is playing really bad, so me and Jimmy and the boys charge on to the stage, overpower the band and start playing their instruments."

- Jimmy Rage
ESP Club Member #666
Old 11-03-2012, 06:36 PM

:";':":";':":";':":";':" (hazy, dreamlike atmosphere)
:";':":";':":";':":";':":";':":";':":";':":";':":" ;':":";':":";':":";':":";':":";':":";':":";':"
I trip over my cable and fall onto my amp.
The neck of the bass takes the impact and bends
like cheap sheet metal. I am able to easily bend it back to near perfect,
but notice ripples and signs of fatigue. panic. worry.

My brain threw the BS switch on and I woke up.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:45 PM

I had a dream that I play bass with spice girls, at the end of the show I start to play a solo out of nowhere .After the show they all come to me and say “You F*** us onstage now we are going to F*** you”
Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 PM

I've had dreams I was auditioning for Heart, and for Kate Bush, and my basses were falling apart d: that usually means I need to play more. I also dreamed I had an upright bass that had a scalloped neck, but it was shaped like a round sine wave. technically you could make such a neck but I don't know what the point would be.
Hagstrom Bass Club #16
Old 11-30-2012, 02:29 PM

Can't really classify my experience as a dream per se, because this actually happened to me a couple of weeks back; so anyway, here it goes.
It was a very busy day rehearsing with band #1 from morning till noon then with band #2 from noon till evening and then heading to the venue for a small set with band #1 later in the evening.
I reached home a little after midnight, parked in the driveway, unloaded the equipment, got inside the house and crashed on the couch immediately! My ears were still ringing from the day's events. The jams and the gig were still playing in my head when all of a sudden my eyes opened wide and I got up feeling something wasn't right. I turned the lights on and looked at the corners. Wait a minute; WHERE'S MY BASS!?!? :O
Frightened, I began a search operation around the house, but couldn't find it! Gasping for breath, I rushed out the front door to find it leaning against the car, waiting to be stolen! Got her in, put her in the corner, slept like a baby. True story!
Old 12-19-2012, 10:57 AM
a.k.a. James Slice

Supporting Member
I had a friend tell me when analyzing a dream to not consider the content as much as how you felt as you were dreaming. It really seems to work. Most of these dreams seem to come from people who are perfectionists at heart, and want to do well and not to mess up. Most of my really weird dreams are confussing, and come at a time when I'm stressed out about something.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:28 PM

Only once (so far...). I found myself on stage outdoors in front of a HUGE crowd, my bass instructor introduced me as a Johnny Cash impersonator, I did not know the song and was going to have to learn it as the band played it, and I was dressed in very bright '60s psychedelic threads.

In my real life, I just play blues with an amateur band.
Mediocre Bassist Club Member #385