Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG] Bass jokes, musician jokes, gigs gone wrong...

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
My appologies in advance as this will likely be one of my long posts, but I think that some of you will like it.

One of the things that I do for grins and giggles is help to bring well known drummers into town to do clinics. A friend of mine owns a drum school, I have tons of gear. I supply the drumset, cymbals, hardware and PA to the artist's specs and usually help with transportation and accomidations.

It's pretty cool having people like Stanton Moore from Galactic, Daniel Glass from Brian Setzer and the Royal Crown Review and Hannah Ford who is currently with Prince play your gear. Daniel and Hannah have become friends of mine and I love watching them kick butt with their gigs.

Anyway, Prince has Hannah on drums and now has Ida Neilsen on bass. I've not yet met Ida, but likely will in the future. Being as this is CWB, I thought that I'd throw a recent pic out there for you all.

House Drummer & Blues Bassist for CWB
Old 01-24-2013, 10:24 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
This is an article on NBC about the band. It has a link to a video of a new tune called Screwdriver and it asks you to give your take on it.

http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_ne...rewdriver?lite

Old 01-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Owner of the GK Angry Bird amp

Supporting Member
Mmm, Prince! I have a few of the new tracks that were leaked, including Screwdriver.

Mediocre Bassist Club #703 - WA Bassist #74 - LGBT bass player #38 - Gallien-Krueger Club #904
Old 01-25-2013, 01:52 PM

Supporting Member
::sigh:: i got a text last night from the Rhythm guy saying that he's afraid that if i want to keep the band together i may need to find a new drummer and singer (they're married to each other and own the place we practice at) because we've been unable to mesh everyone's schedules and get a practice in lately. And i read it and thought "It looks like we may need a new Rhythm guy". Which is certainly easier to find than a decent drummer, singer and place to practice, as well as the fact that i traded them radio ads for practice fees and i have more than enough credit to last me quite a while :-) It's the Rhythm guy who bought a mini-farm and a bunch of animals and needs to get up at 4am to feed everything before he goes to his day job. The rest of us can practice late if we need to. ::sigh::

Mediocre Bassist Club #703 - WA Bassist #74 - LGBT bass player #38 - Gallien-Krueger Club #904
Old 01-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Semi-Retired

Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works/Barker Bass

Send a message via Skype™ to pointbass
GOLD Supporting Member
More often than not, bands & musicians are like a bunch of hormone-exploding teenagers ... no continuity, personal issues taking priority over common sense, petty jealousy ... and then you add in real life grownup issues like jobs and families, it's a wonder any startup band ever gets established. I'm old and pretty crusty (and I know there's a few others in the CWB contingent with some mileage on them, as well ) and this is not unique to the current music scene. Its easy to get discouraged, but if you keep on plugging the right fit will show up. Keep your chin up ....

And, BTW, why is it that the bass player is always the one to manage this kind of crap within a band?
Old 01-25-2013, 02:51 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointbass View Post
And, BTW, why is it that the bass player is always the one to manage this kind of crap within a band?
Because *I'm* the one who *needs* to play the most, who needs it this time of year to keep me grounded and sane and to blow off steam. I have too many things in flux in my real life, i don't have the emotional energy to deal with him and his mini-farm. We're just old farts playing for fun, but i need the fun, and the grownups. ::sigh::

If we dont practice soon i'm going to need to go out and dance to blow of steam, and i feel like a loser going out alone.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:01 PM
(aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

GOLD Supporting Member
You are not a "loser" for going out alone; we are all alone whether we are with others or not; and besides, nobody is keeping score except karma. Bass players just seem to keep down the "bottom end" in many more ways than one...
Redneck Bassist #22 - Old Fart #52 - MoCWB
Old 01-25-2013, 03:10 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by etoncrow View Post
You are not a "loser" for going out alone; we are all alone whether we are with others or not; and besides, nobody is keeping score except karma.
And in reality i know that, and once i get out to dance i'm ok.. but not having friends to take along sometimes is a drag.

Funny tho, after people watching with my Army profiler friend i can see the difference in how i act and how i dance between when i'm in the mood for people or am in the mood to just dance alone to get the stress out. I always wondered why sometimes people will dance with me and sometimes not.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:25 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
...One of the things that I do for grins and giggles is help to bring well known drummers into town to do clinics. A friend of mine owns a drum school, I have tons of gear. I supply the drumset, cymbals, hardware and PA to the artist's specs and usually help with transportation and accomidations....
Mike, you need to add "drum wrangler" to your signature...
Old 01-25-2013, 06:44 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by etoncrow View Post
Mike, you need to add "drum wrangler" to your signature...
Thanks, yeah, I'm a little obsessive. lol

I'm thinking of starting a blog about all things drums-percussion-bass. I'd use it to help promote different artists and projects as well as review some gear.

I'm figuring out the mechanics of how to do this.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:16 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
I'm figuring out the mechanics of how to do this.
To start a blog? or to use it for all those thing?

'Cause starting a blog is pretty easy unless you use you own domain name.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerTeufel View Post
Jaame..did you figure out that Franz Ferdinand song?
I think my lessons guy and i got it, i took my bass in today because i was waiting on new strings for my guitar after breaking one while changing strings earlier in the week.

i'll run through it tomorrow at work

Old 01-25-2013, 08:23 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaamE View Post
I think my lessons guy and i got it, i took my bass in today because i was waiting on new strings for my guitar after breaking one while changing strings earlier in the week.

i'll run through it tomorrow at work
Cool..I'd be interested in reading what you came up with.
Mediocre Bassist Club #782
GK Club #931
http://www.reverbnation.com/deadmothersmoney
Old 01-26-2013, 01:42 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Cool..I'd be interested in reading what you came up with.
Well, he went with F instead of E and i don't like either note. But I'm still getting the timing too, i guess.

A|----5-------3-|-3-------|-3-----5---7-7-7-7-|
E|3-------1-----|---------|
I know I won’t be leaving here with you (music slows)

That's what we got. And i forgot to bring my bass, so i have the guitar @ work and hearing it with the octave (or is it two?) difference is hard for me still.

And if the forum kills the formatting i'll just scream quietly

Old 01-26-2013, 10:36 PM
Back. And grumpier than ever.

Supporting Member
Quote:
Well, he went with F instead of E and i don't like either note. But I'm still getting the timing too, i guess.

A|----5-------3-|-3-------|-3-----5---7-7-7-7-|
E|3-------1-----|---------|
I know I won’t be leaving here with you (music slows)

That's what we got. And i forgot to bring my bass, so i have the guitar @ work and hearing it with the octave (or is it two?) difference is hard for me still.

And if the forum kills the formatting i'll just scream quietly
To preserve formatting you ca use
{code} ... {/code} but sub brackets [ ] like all the other commands.

Well, what a long strange trip it's been.

I have been sick with a chest cold for 16 days, today is the first day I have felt well enough to rejoin humanity. Everyone up here in NE either has the flu, or the nasty chest cold. Just pandemic.

Band news:
After getting dumped back when from my last band - I took a hiatus because of some medical issues - the guitar player who got left behind with me worked to recruit new talent. We now have Steve, aka Mean Plucker, on guitar as well as Bob, whom I have played with since the 70's. Funny how that happens.

Anyway, Steve was found on CL, () but it actually worked out well. Bob put in an ad for a drummer. Got tons of responses, even one guy who said he was great on stage image wise and had a bass drum extension on his kit. To compensate for something, not sure what, . Last Friday the drummer audition was a bust. 4/4 in medium tempo was his only thing. When I hit him with 3/4 or 6/8 he stopped playing and looked like the deer in your headlights. Ouch.

Yesterday, we had an older guy show up to play. This guy had the magic, and after he got warmed up, drove any groove we threw at him. Awesome. I felt totally locked up most of the night, so then I couldn't hit a bad groove, or pop or note. Remarkable what working with a really good drummer can open up for a band. We had it all going on.

The guy who was there to record it had all kinds of board/PC interface/usb port issues. That didn't work. Crap, I used to hang 2 mikes form the ceiling and turn on the reel to reel and let it run all night. Guess that stuff is too old school, but dang, you got a recording out of it.

We have tagged the project as CLT. Steve said it was Craig's List Tigers. Bob and I laughed, "D00d, Craig's List Turkeys". I like Bob, he gets it.

My car has been hard to start, very cranky. It's been down to 5 degrees here every night, turns out the fuel filter had a cr4pload of water in it.

The holidays were good, but just way too busy, too many people and things to deal with. My time on TB has been limited to what was needed for the mod work, slop cleanup, which has been more demanding than I expected.

I have received some very precious and special gifts, and I want to thank you all for them:

MB, thanks for the package, I totally didn't expect that, and it was like Xmas in Jan. I was so sick I couldn't breathe, but that really made my day. Thanks you so much, I will cherish (umm, study and envy and errr not hate you) the work you showcase forever, well, till I check out, anyway.

Same for Drummer Mike, I never (or forgot) to say thanks. I have no idea how you got a CD done last year, but I am impressed at how much you can handle and still create.

Eton Crow, I got your email. All I can say is that I am blessed to have the type of friends that can share their spirits. I always say I am not really a religious person but I am a spiritual person.

Much of my spirituality is expressed through music and when we share music, it is much more than a casual conversation, it becomes insight into the very soul of the player.

I have about 15 pages I need to read, so pardon the next few 'Multi-quote' posts. That seems to work the best for me in catch up mode.

Other news:
I am now down to 205 from 230 this summer, so about 10% drop in weight. The last 5 lbs was when I was ill, so I had no desire to eat.

I went for the first time in my life to Yoga. Sunday, 2 weeks ago. Kicked my butt. 13 days later I am still sore. I will go tomorrow, but I need to have a much shorter workout and build up to the longer session. It was billed as "Yoga for Stiff Guys".

Lol. I know now I am stiff in all the wrong places. Anyway, I thought the low impact core work would ultimately help me get myself into better shape.

One of the things I don't like is that I seem to have slimmed way too much in places I didn't want. My forearms seem like half the size they used to be and my legs and butt should not lose any more. Hopefully the yoga thing will build muscle in good places. Well, work in progress, ya know . At least it's heading in the right direction.

I think that's it on the basic updates.

O
Bass Humor: Ascerbic MoCWB
Band Management: Bandmate bash here.

Consort to the incredible Mrs. God of Thunder

Last edited by Thor : 01-28-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:02 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
To preserve formatting you ca use
{code} ... {/code} but sub brackets [ ] like all the other commands.

Well, what a long strange trip it's been.

I have been sick with a chest cold for 16 days, today is the first day I have felt well enough to rejoin humanity. Everyone up here in NE either has the flu, or the nasty chest cold. Just pandemic.

Band news:
After getting dumped back when from my last band - I took a hiatus when my wife had medical issues - the guitar player who got left behind with me worked to recruit new talent. We now have Steve, aka Mean Plucker, on guitar as well as Bob, whom I have played with since the 70's. Funny how that happens.

Anyway, Steve was found on CL, () but it actually worked out well. Bob put in an ad for a drummer. Got tons of responses, even one guy who said he was great on stage image wise and had a bass drum extension on his kit. To compensate for something, not sure what, . Last Friday the drummer audition was a bust. 4/4 in medium tempo was hos only thing. When I hit him with 3/4 or 6/8 he stopped playing and looked like the deer in your headlights. Ouch.

Yesterday, we had an older guy show up to play. This guy had the magic, and after he got warmed up, drove any groove we threw at him. Awesome. I felt totally locked up most of the night, so then I couldn't hit a bad groove, or pop or note. Remarkable what working with a really good drummer can open up for a band. We had it all going on.

The guy who was there to record it had all kinds of board/PC interface/usb port issues. That didn't work. Crap, I used to hang 2 mikes form the ceiling and turn on the reel to reel and let it run all night. Guess that sh!t is too old school, but dang, you got a recording out of it.

We have tagged the project as CLT. Steve said it was Craig's List Tigers. Bob and I laughed, "D00d, Craig's List Turkeys". I like Bob, he gets it.

My car has been hard to start, very cranky. It's been down to 5 degrees here every night, turns out the fuel filter had a cr4pload of water in it.

The holidays were good, but just way too busy, too many people and things to deal with. My time on TB has been limited to what was needed for the mod work, slop cleanup, which has been more demanding than I expected.

I have received some very precious and special gifts, and I want to thank you all for them:

MB, thanks for the package, I totally didn't expect that, and it was like Xmas in Jan. I was so sick I couldn't breathe, but that really made my day. Thanks you so much, I will cherish (umm, study and envy and errr not hate you) the work you showcase forever, well, till I check out, anyway.

Same for Drummer Mike, I never (or forgot) to say thanks. I have no idea how you got a CD done last year, but I am impressed at how much you can handle and still create.

Eton Crow, I got your email. All I can say is that I am blessed to have the type of friends that can share their spirits. I always say I am not really a religious person but I am a spiritual person.

Much of my spirituality is expressed through music and when we share music, it is much more than a casual conversation, it becomes insight into the very soul of the player.

I have about 15 pages I need to read, so pardon the next few 'Multi-quote' posts. That seems to work the best for me in catch up mode.

Other news:
I am now down to 205 from 230 this summer, so about 10% drop in weight. The last 5 lbs was when I was ill, so I had no desire to eat.

I went for the first time in my life to Yoga. Sunday, 2 weeks ago. Kicked my butt. 13 days later I am still sore. I will go tomorrow, but I need to have a much shorter workout and build up to the longer session. It was billed as "Yoga for Stiff Guys".

Lol. I know now I am stiff in all the wrong places. Anyway, I thought the low impact core work would ultimately help me get myself into better shape.

One of the things I don't like is that I seem to have slimmed way too much in places I didn't want. My forearms seem like half the size they used to be and my legs and butt should not lose any more. Hopefully the yoga thing will build muscle in good places. Well, work in progress, ya know . At least it's heading in the right direction.

I think that's it on the basic updates.

O

O
Thor! God of thunder!

Glad that you are feeling better mein freund. My sinuses have been plaguing me as of late, so I certainly empathize with you.

Keep it up with the yoga. I try to hit the gym at least twice a week. It really helps.
Mediocre Bassist Club #782
GK Club #931
http://www.reverbnation.com/deadmothersmoney
Old 01-27-2013, 01:24 AM
Back. And grumpier than ever.

Supporting Member
Well, I am up to page 3, wow, I missed a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck3 View Post
chick with something I'd like for Christmas. One of my favorite album covers ever, and a great Christmas album for bass players too.

Chet Baker. Ok, I'm in.

Quote:
Shot a video while using the new cabinet - I really like it.

https://vimeo.com/56300456
Ok, I'm faster than you, but you are killing me with tone, I am now back in I suck and I need to get it right mode.

Quote:
I like the way you can look totally bored while shaking your booty just enough to look like fun.

You're the kind of bass player that would totally have me dancing in front of you trying to get you to look down my shirt and smile.
yeah. Smile. That needs some work. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulebagger View Post
J, thanks for making me spit coffee on my desk

I want to see DT's face when you do that !!
Me too.

Quote:
It's a sure-fire way to get me to grin like an idiot!!
Show me. I used to live in Missouri.

Quote:
LOL, sorry about the desk.. but i'm sure you both know what i mean... yeah i'm that chick. i wont try to climb on stage or touch anything, but i will make you look.
Yes, I agree, you have that special "je ne sais quoi"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck3 View Post
changing subjects, one of our kids gave me for Christmas a CD by a band from Iceland called Of Monsters and Men. I see they are on Leno tonight so I guess they are getting pretty big. Wondering if Thor knows this band ...
Iceland, for a small island of 300k people has an enormous base and affinity for the arts. A random friend sent me this link of a local classical/pop/folk guitarist, recently recorded at a small venue in Reykjavik. I wasn't inclined to listen, but when I did, he blew me away...

Crap, I lost the link, I will find it tomorrow...

Ok, it's 3:15 Am, I'll do more tomorrow.My hands are FREEZING and so is my body, I found that the bathtub filled with really warm water is a great place to sleep for a few hours and warm my core up.

I'll take care of more later, love you all, my friends.
O

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialBlender View Post
It was the same for me when I moved here 32 years ago, virtually never listened to country and my first decent band was nothing but country. Since then its been mostly country/bluegrass, the odd bit of blues and 60's style rock.

I started playing in a side project with a 3 piece doing strictly rock from the 70's to today and it exposed me to a lot of music I've been listening to but never thought I'd be playing (doesn't fit the rooms I work in). The drummer from that project asked me if I was interested in jamming with a buddy of his that does some originals along with some Zep, ACDC, Stone Temple Pilots etc. which is harder edged than my trio. That project is just for jamming, they know I'm committed elsewhere but I'm having fun showing these young bucks (they're 25 years younger than me) that us old farts do know how to rock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialBlender View Post
I fear I detect a tremor in the force Obi Wan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryMonkey View Post
Holy freaking Hell-O! It's been awhile, but I vaguely recall the screen name...you must have missed us.

Maybe you mean 4th favorite?

Just wet my panties when I saw this. Uh, pants I mean. Yeah, whatever, you get it.
Bass Humor: Ascerbic MoCWB
Band Management: Bandmate bash here.

Consort to the incredible Mrs. God of Thunder
Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 AM

GOLD Supporting Member
Welcome back to the land of the living, my Nordic brother. We have missed you.

Last edited by etoncrow : 01-27-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:01 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
The guy who was there to record it had all kinds of board/PC interface/usb port issues. That didn't work. Crap, I used to hang 2 mikes form the ceiling and turn on the reel to reel and let it run all night. Guess that sh!t is too old school, but dang, you got a recording out of it.
I may be a newbie to be bass, but I've been recording stuff I absolutely, positively have to get down on the first take (at least, any second takes should be due to musicians, not recording screwups) for better than 13 years.

Step one, pick a decent sounding room, if at all possible. This allows not screwing with all the studio techniques that are mostly about overcoming the shortfalls of a studio room, which is usually too small. Step two, shut up the peanut gallery. Step three, run some decent electrets (there's a budget here, feel free to go fancier if you have it) into a stereo recorder. Put on headphones and get the mix right - no remixing allowed or encouraged. This often involves physical placement of musicians WRT mics in my application. Step 3, let it run - easier now that I'm using an Edirol R-09HR (with slightly better exterior mics I got for the MDs) where no session can outlast the card - started with minidisc, then HiMD when that came out, then the Eiderol.

No computer at the session (darn things are too noisy anyway, not to mention the ability to get fussy.) Clip out the good bits on the computer afterwards, burn it to disc.

The old-school approach with new toys, and the new toys fit in a shirt pocket, which I don't mind a bit. Mind you, things move so fast that I think the R-09HR is obsolete and off the market by now. Still works just fine. And the setup could not be simpler - at the low end, a fresh set of batteries and the recorder is good to go with its internal mics, at my usual level of complexity I bring the external power supply and my external mics and my headphones - not too much that can screw up recording other than a full-scale equipment malfunction.

Your obligatory CWB content - at least the top two are CWBs

Last edited by T_Bone_TL : 01-27-2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Adding on-topic content ;-)
Old 01-27-2013, 08:58 PM

Send a message via MSN to Tat2dHeart Send a message via Yahoo to Tat2dHeart
GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
...i feel like a loser going out alone.
I go out alone all the time. It's a great way to make new friends. Nothing "loser" about it - it gives you a chance to focus on yourself and the music (or whatever else you chose to do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassteban View Post
...and it is EFFING MAGICAL like 2-headed robot unicorn bagpipe bands fighting terminator/transformer mermaids w/battle axes on acid. Everyone should have that in their life.
Closed Thread