Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG] Bass jokes, musician jokes, gigs gone wrong...

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 01-12-2014, 11:33 AM

Injuries at Gigs

Ok so, playing other night and noticed some girls looking at me with that "Eeeww" look and not the normal look of "Eeeww, Gross Old Fart on Bass" but the "EEEWWWW! Absolutely stomach churning, I'm gonna puke" look. Now I haven't seen that look since my wedding night so I start to take a quick inventory of myself for the offending visual and noticed blood trickling down the white pick guard of my Jazz bass. I had split my thumb which is not uncommon for me in this cold weather but this one was bad and bleeding somewhat. A quick switch of basses, and a kindly bar attendant with a damp cloth for my bass and a bandaid for me and I was back in business. Minor thing.

But this got me going down memory lane as us old folks will do, remembering all the turned ankles, dehydration cramps, stubbed toes, headstocks to the face, broken flying drumsticks to the torso, electrical shocks, falls that I have had during a gig. Not to mention all the load in mishaps and fights(only had one of those and came out unscathed, my bass, not so much)

So thought this could get interesting.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:53 AM

Well, not an injury, and not my gig, but......years ago went to see some friends' band. the bass player (who was not what I'd call "athletic") was lifting his 8X10 fridge up onto the stage (just one step) and sort of lost his balance/fell. All we could see was the fridge laying on top of him, with only 2 forearms and forelegs showing and waving. We picked it up off of him, and were "somewhat" successful at not laughing. After 10 years, I can still see it like it was yesterday. LOL
Old 01-12-2014, 12:06 PM

The old guy

Hi

By law in most states,I think, ? bands should have Workmenscomp ins.Most can't afford it.But with a really Bab injury they may wish they had.

Dave
Old 01-12-2014, 12:20 PM

Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings

I have never suffered any type of injury at a gig. However, when I first started playing in the late 1970s, my band was playing a large outdoor party. We were set up on the back of a flatbed ramp truck. There were a few songs that I played guitar on and one of the guitar players played bass. We switch instruments and as the guitar player, (who was now playing my bass) went up to the microphone he suffered a shock that was so bad it literally knocked him on his back.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:21 PM

Peavey Cirrus#47, BAM & Versarray, G&L basses, Genz Benz amps

Send a message via Yahoo to cirrusb2002
Many years ago(yes, always lots of little injuries, seeing as we had a PA suitable for 500 seat rooms) finished playing in a large room with provided FOH(yay!) & saw one of the barmaids we knew. Biiiiig girl, 200+ running across the floor, jumped & straddled me with lots of kinetic energy & enthusiasm. So much for my back...................for about 2 weeks. I appreciated the thought, just not how it was delivered!
Peavey, Genz Benz, G&L, Audio Engineer, GBX #2, 45 years rockin' the world
Old 01-17-2014, 11:30 AM

Played out one night and the singer was whirling the mic stand around in circles over his head. It was one of those stands with the really heavy round bases that looks like a discus. *WHACK* - right to the back of GP's head. He went down to his knees but didn't miss a single note! He continued playing in the kneeling position for about a full minute before slowly rising to his feet. If he was bald it would have been a bloody mess. Maybe that's why rock stars have long hair?

It was GP's birthday!
Old 01-17-2014, 01:23 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by t77mackie View Post
Played out one night and the singer was whirling the mic stand around in circles over his head. It was one of those stands with the really heavy round bases that looks like a discus. *WHACK* - right to the back of GP's head. He went down to his knees but didn't miss a single note! He continued playing in the kneeling position for about a full minute before slowly rising to his feet. If he was bald it would have been a bloody mess. Maybe that's why rock stars have long hair?

It was GP's birthday!
I still have an old mic stand like that. The bottom disc is like 12lbs or so. Lucky it did not kill the GP.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:39 PM

Supporting Member
My biggest injury at a gig is getting my wet lips shocked from an ungounded mic. Ouch!
Old 01-17-2014, 02:18 PM

Not me, but a few years ago was playing the first gig with a new band and on the very first song, the drummer cracks his knuckle on the stare rim. Blood everywhere, especially the snare head. But he was a trooper and never missed a beat.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:22 PM

My ego has been injured many times at gigs. But so far no actual loss of blood.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Bassist for The Patrick Godbey Band

Supporting Member
Jamming with some friends I received a shock that dimmed the one light in the room. At another gig I broke my ankle and finished the gig in pain.

Cheers,
Jim
Muckelroy Bass Club #3
Modulus Mob #7
P-Bass #30
Fender Jazz Bass #106
Med Scale #22
Acoustic #62
Telecaster Bass #19
Schroeder #35
Club Valenti #3

Last edited by jazzbo58 : 01-17-2014 at 08:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-17-2014, 09:34 PM

During set-up, I was setting up a Hercules guitar stand, got my left little finger caught between the legs of the stand and crushed my finger tip. Made it through the gig with a purple nail bed and my little finger sticking out all night.
Peavey T-40 Club #10
Acoustic Bass Fetish Club #160, Country Bass Club #78
Old 01-17-2014, 09:47 PM

During a gig this past October our drummer got a blister early in the set and we had to knock off a song early because it had busted and he was bleeding all over the place. We took a photo of his bloody drumstick and he made it his facebook profile pic LOL.

Last month I was sliding a PA speaker out the back seat of my truck and crushed my thumb between it and the door jam. Fortunately we were done for the night because I was howling for a few seconds and it hurt for 3 days. I had a little blood blister underneath the fingernail that hurt like a SOB if I even breathed on it.
Westone Club Member #18, Vintage Modified Jaguar Club, Rickenbacker # 390, PF #313
Old 01-17-2014, 10:05 PM

Supporting Member
Hi all

I went to a Victor Wooten concert where Derrico Watson was playing drums. On the opening song of the set, Derrico went to hit his crash cymbal and the tip of his drum stick broke off and hit him right in the eye. I looked really bad, but he kept on playing through the rest of the openening numbers, and never missed a beat.

A real testament to his musicianship!

-Matt

Last edited by matt.dahms : 01-17-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:30 PM

Well I don't know if this counts but,
One time I was play out of town, staying the night at a friend's house. Anyway near the end of the show I jumped off stage knees first right on top of him, knocking him to the ground (you know heavy metal). I proceeded to kick him in the ribs until he got up. Then I tripped him with my cable that got warp around his foot (I never really stopped playing), then I kicked him a few more times before hopping back on stage.
But like I said, I was staying the night at his house and he woke up before I did I woke to him jumping on me and punching me in the collarbone.
good times
Old 01-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Supporting Member
Last winter I was parking my Jeep properly after unloading for set-up. As I was getting out and closing the door,I slipped on some ice and reached back to brace myself..just as the door closed on my right hand fingertips. Closed,latched,and locked completely. To add insult to injury,I had dropped the keys and they were juuuuust out of reach. Luckily(?) I still had my phone in my pocket,and called my guitarist to come out and rescue me..
When we opened the door I was expecting to be a knuckle short all the way across,but it was 'only' my middle fingertip that got mashed..Fingernail still intact,but the fingertip looked like hamburger. I wrapped it up with paper towel and duct tape,and had to play with one finger all night..and the next night...and the following weekend. On the positive side,for about a month it forced me to brush up on using a pick to play..
Old 01-21-2014, 10:53 AM

Supporting Member
Is an STD considered an injury?
SX Club Member in Good Standing/Geddy Lee Club #17/Lefties Who Play Right #4/GK Club #840/Markbass Club #451
Old 01-21-2014, 10:57 AM

It could be urban myth but,

Back in about 1974 or 1975 a bass player was playing at a bar in North Central Minnesota (The story supposedly takes place at EJ’s Hideaway in Harding Minnesota). He slips on some stairs and an SVT head lands with the end on his right arm, breaking the arm. He finished loading with the rest of the band and after three hours of driving made it to a hospital in St. Paul.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:58 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to hdracer
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbassist View Post
Is an STD considered an injury?
or crabs from the restroom?

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Old 01-21-2014, 11:59 AM

Supporting Member
Let's see... there are a few over the years! Carrying a B3 into a bar. Slipped on ice, and it came down on my ring finger, crushing the ring. It broke, and both sides embedded in my finger. Had to pry it off with a pair of needle nose pliers. No stitches, just a pair of nasty cuts and lots of bleeding.

Slipped down a flight of stairs on my way to the stage in an older hotel. Sprained my wrist, and ripped the tone control right out of my bass. Two pieces of a ruler taped to my right wrist, and a quick tie the wires and tape to bypass the tone control, and to the stage I went.

I'm sure there've been more over the many years...