Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG] Bass jokes, musician jokes, gigs gone wrong...

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 01-09-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Owl View Post
I ditto, Michael Anthony doing a bass solo, an inexcusable abomination for sure!
+10000 - the HORROR, THE HORROR!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I ditto, Michael Anthony doing a bass solo, an inexcusable abomination for sure!
For those of you who have never seen it, here is just one example. You have to watch the entire clip to get the whole effect (or defect).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfuExbhkA3c
Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastybasslines View Post
I have one in silver, and they are heavy! I cant imagine how the cord never came when pulling the amp.
I played thru a Blue Kustom in the 70's. I loved the look of it but mine had two speakers and a circuit breaker button on it that would trip during every song. For that reason alone I hated that amp.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:02 PM

Hasn't happened yet, but this Friday night is my band's first headlining show after being an opening band for months. It's being recorded and is our biggest show to date. And I was stupid enough to break my left (fretting) hand a couple of days ago when I was drunk at a party. So I will play the whole set as best as I can with the one operational finger I have left

I do think it's pretty funny though.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:43 PM
LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Send a message via Skype™ to MatticusMania
Supporting Member
Quote:
/\
/\
/\
THAT

No excuse in my book for a perfectly good bassist to do that. Thankfully the bassist I knew that did that (in an effort to sound like that over-produced crap on the radio) ditched the synth bass altogether, THANK GOD!!!
Being in an 80s New Wave band sounds like a perfectly good reason to do that.

Bassist Club: Veg#33 Buddhist#11 LGBT#5
Old 01-09-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoebass92 View Post
Hasn't happened yet, but this Friday night is my band's first headlining show after being an opening band for months. It's being recorded and is our biggest show to date. And I was stupid enough to break my left (fretting) hand a couple of days ago when I was drunk at a party. So I will play the whole set as best as I can with the one operational finger I have left

Good luck with that show man and let us know how it goes!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:47 PM
LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrodbert696 View Post
Awwwww, he's such a little CUTEE!

Seriously - paint a smiley face on the front and let it follow you around. Maybe staple a fuzzy tail on the back side.
Genius!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:48 PM
LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Supporting Member
Quote:

Good luck!

I had to play two sets with two different bands (one being my first gig with that band) the same week that I dislocated my index finger on my fretting hand. That knuckle never did heal completely, but I made my way through.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Short Scale Addict

Supporting Member
Quote:
I was stupid enough to break my left (fretting) hand a couple of days ago when I was drunk at a party. So I will play the whole set as best as I can with the one operational finger I have left
No prob as long as they are originals .

ShortScale#271 Mediocre#783 Country#46
MB200 MicroVR Bugera1960+BVV3000
2x SVT210AV 212MBE
MW SquireMustang, HofnerGalaxyCT, IbanezMikro
CortActionBassJr., StaggFusion3/4, BriceHXB-405 3/4
Old 01-09-2013, 07:55 PM

Supporting Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=-M1H7mlslfk

Not a bassist, but, This ones great!
Official Wood Matters Club Member #1
Spector Club # 206
Warwick Club # ??
Genz Benz Club # 287
Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 PM

That sounds like me....when I was 15. lol

Drives me nuts when bass players who don't understand air & pocket.
I'm not a violent guy at all, but I watched a bass player playing Brick House with no air & pocket at all. It's a funky song but he played it like a lounge bass line. I wanted to beat him with his own bass. The band pretty much sucked as a whole anyway, so after about four songs, I left before someone got hurt. lol

Another time I saw a guy play You Oughtta Know like it was AC/DC. Don't get me wrong, love me some AC/DC, but there's nothing funky about AC/DC at all. I wanted to beat my own head in with his bass.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:54 AM

Last night: opened for another band. We were supposed to be there at 7, play at 9. We were setting our gear in front if theirs. Their bass player didn't get there til after 8, then took a 1/2 hour to set up. THEN proceeded to knob twist until the sound guy said "are you with the opening band?" The guy said no, and the sound guy told him he needed to get out of the way so we could set up and sound check. He also made several disparaging remarks to me about my gear (Lakland and Markbass stuff), as we'll as the fact that I was using some chord charts for some songs. Reinforced my opinions on how I should act the times I have head lined.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:57 PM

I played bass all through high school, til i was 20. then i switched mainly to guitar. don't hate.

anyway, i was in the NAVY, on an island called Diego Garcia. a lot of filipino's live/work there as part of the laboring force. so they bring these bands in from Manila to play a mix of US pop, and some filipino tunes. they would let ppl like me sit in, and jam.

one night, it was me, another NAVY guy playing keys, and another NAVY guy playing bass. keys guy said, "wool bully in A". simple enough. NAVY bass guy was playing a 5 string. not his mind you, the bands. doofus did not know that the lowest string on the 5 was B, as opposed to E. so, while me and keys guy are in A, he in E. (5th fret on the low B). it was a mess from the start, and I kept yelling at him "A, A, A", he yelled back, "i know, i know, i know".

not sure why we kept on playing, but we did. i explained to him the strings on the bass. "ohhhhhhh......". needless to say, i never jammed with him again. small island too.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:02 PM

I would say playback....
Let your emotions play the music, not your brain..
Old 01-12-2013, 07:17 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
I refuse to read this thread for fear of recognising myself...

House Drummer & Blues Bassist for CWB
Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray2112 View Post
Good luck with that show man and let us know how it goes!
I made it through the show just fine with two fingers! Still felt like an idiot though... But we played to our biggest crowd to date and put on (by far) our best show to date. Playing with a broken hand sure didn't feel good, but it was a ton of fun regardless.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:30 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to krstko
I was the tone guy at a smaller place. An unknown band had their first gig. After a fast song, they held a long last note, the drummer got crazy, guitard was shredding like mad,... but the bass player xS He made a fist with his right hand and started hitting strings so they made huge poping noise because touching the pickups ..
Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 AM

Supporting Member
Everyone talking about seeing a bass player having someone else tune their bass, it happens about a minute into this video. I love this band, and they didn't seem to care much, but it was funny that both the guitar player and drummer had to help.

Foul language warning btw.
http://vimeo.com/m/51142219

Fender Precision Bass Club #1030
Music Man Stingray Club #438
Ampeg Club #933
Old 01-15-2013, 01:53 AM

This one happened to me and I am not sure if it was pitiful or kind of cool. Anyway, I grew up in the 70s and in high school I played in a really loud hard rock band and I mean REALLY loud. It was a big party scene then and every rehearsal was a party complete with an audience. Back then I played through a Carvin amp and a Sunn folded horn cabinet with a single 18. One time we were jamming along pretty hard and, of course, very loud and all of the sudden my bass got quiet. I turned around and saw flames coming out of the speaker. It had caught on fire. I grabbed the quart of beer sitting on my amp and dumped it in there and put out the fire. One of the guitar players also had a bass amp so I played through it for the rest of the afternoon. I ended up trading the cabinet with burned up 18 in on two cabinets, each with two 15s and they were even louder.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGoodall View Post

Hmmm.. Most pitiful thing.... Been playing about 6 or seven years now, and I look back to the first year and wonder how I EVER thought any of that had any groove or any complimenting taste AT ALL!

Stupid embarrassing younger me
You and me both, brother. A number of years ago, I was invited to be the house bassist for an open jam that we wanted to get going around here. I was the youngest and least experienced player there, and I tried to make up for it by over playing everything. It was like "lead solo bass" in your face, nonstop. The other guys were experienced jazzers, and were really good.

I ended up being in a band with the guitarist a few years after that, and he really helped me reign myself in. But every time I think back on it, I feel like facepalming myself repeatedly.