Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG] Bass jokes, musician jokes, gigs gone wrong...

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-09-2013, 12:59 PM

Queen Mary Christmas Party-The Kelly Rae Band

Seasons Greetings!

It seems it's been a while since I've posted about any of my gigs. This one was somewhat noteworthy. We played a pretty fancy-schmancy corporate Christmas party this past weekend at The Queen Mary. It's a nice boat and I've played there several times before. It has a well-deserved reputation of being the most inconvenient load-in and load-out of just about any gig in the country.

It was raining earlier in the day but turned into a nice afternoon after the clouds broke up.

No, this is not a skinny red TARDIS. It's just a cool old phone booth that is now housing an ATM.

Remember what I said about a difficult load in? This is the rickety old freight elevator that we have to use.

It goes up one level to the R deck.

Art and Mario are very glad that they made it up to the gang plank.

Now we roll our stuff across the gang plank, turn left down the hallway on the port side of the ship. Of all the rooms on the ship, the room we were playing has the easiest load-in, relatively speaking.

The Grand Salon is very art deco with its wood columns and art work.

After hauling all our gear up from the parking lot, a workout in itself, we had to set it all up.

Here's the obligatory picture of my rig on stage.

Here's Kelly during our sound check. She just came from another gig. She and the rest of the band will get dolled up a little later.

We're all set up and ready to go.

We took a little walk around the ship to grab some supper. Here's the elevators and the Promenade deck.

Here's the obligatory view from my mic. We started with some dinner music.

After the guests had dinner and a few drinks the band was able to have some fun.

This is Mario, showing off.

Art, Daniel, and Kelly smiled for the camera.

Here are a couple of shots of the band in action.

On a break we took a band picture. Of course, every time you take a band picture the band breaks up, or gets a new member. Hopefully that won't happen.

And the moment we've all been waiting for, tearing down and loading out. At least we got paid pretty good for being roadies tonight. We earned it.

A good time was had by all.

I've played in other rooms on the Queen Mary where you had to go up the elevator to the gang plank, down the hall to the front of the ship, up the elevator or stairs to another deck, then back down the hallway to one of the smaller rooms. The Grand Salon room is relatively easy to get in an out of. It's a lovely venue, if not a little old and a bit dingy or damp. You always hear stories of ghosts on the ship too. You can rent a room there just like a hotel. It's a nice experience.

Thank you for looking. Break a leg everyone!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
members.dslextreme.com/users/basscliff-www.kellyraeband.com-Country Bassist #72, Fender Bassman #99, Carvin #300, GK# 1017, Praise&Worship #1305

Last edited by BassCliff : 12-10-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:13 PM
sunn #91

Supporting Member
did yall call each other and ask...what ya gonna wear tonight?
Old 12-09-2013, 02:37 PM

Smile

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
did yall call each other and ask...what ya gonna wear tonight?
Ha! In a manner of speaking. Kelly takes care of the "band uniforms" for certain types of gigs.

BassCliff
members.dslextreme.com/users/basscliff-www.kellyraeband.com-Country Bassist #72, Fender Bassman #99, Carvin #300, GK# 1017, Praise&Worship #1305
Old 12-09-2013, 02:46 PM

I think you looked good. Looks like a great gig.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:22 PM

Supporting Member
That has to be a FUN gig!!
Old 12-10-2013, 03:33 AM

Supporting Member
Thanks for the great story. I have visited that ship and had a drink or two there, a great piece of history.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:02 PM

Supporting Member
What a venue! I am partial to deco & had no idea that the Q.M. was like that. Cool place to play.

I find it somewhat sobering to say that I visited the QM in NYC to see my grandmother off to England, on what was probably one of the last crossings, around 1962. But I was just a little guy, maybe 4, so I don't remember too much.

Thanks for the pics.

TD
Old 12-10-2013, 03:07 PM

Looks like quite a posh gig!
I must add that the always lovely Kelly looked especially nice in that hair style.
We weren't asked back.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:13 PM

Cool exterior pics. No offense, but once you're inside, it looks about like every other ballroom I've ever played in some of the most land-locked places on earth.

PS--I dig the matching wardrobe.

WANTED: Vintage Hagstrom Concord in RED
Old 12-10-2013, 03:17 PM

$100 Scullys all around!
Old 12-10-2013, 03:22 PM

Smile

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdvt View Post
What a venue! I am partial to deco & had no idea that the Q.M. was like that. Cool place to play.

I find it somewhat sobering to say that I visited the QM in NYC to see my grandmother off to England, on what was probably one of the last crossings, around 1962. But I was just a little guy, maybe 4, so I don't remember too much.

Thanks for the pics.

TD
You're welcome. Yes, there's a lot of history there. The Queen Mary retired to Long Beach in 1967.

http://www.queenmary.com/our-story/timeline.php

BassCliff
Old 12-10-2013, 05:26 PM

I always enjoy checking out your gig pics and videos. Great look and sound, and you guys look like you have a really good time!
Old 12-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Supporting Member

Supporting Member
Nice! Thank you for sharing
Old 12-12-2013, 03:55 PM

Smile

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobicidal View Post
Nice! Thank you for sharing
Hey Bob! How ya doin'? Seems you were down this way recently and didn't let me know. Shame on you!

Take care,

Cliff
Old 12-12-2013, 04:07 PM

Supporting Member
Your local. Just a matter of time until we meet up. I doubt that I will see you next week in Long Beach at the "Noise for Toys" Festival though?

X
Old 12-12-2013, 07:11 PM

Smile

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Warning View Post
Your local. Just a matter of time until we meet up. I doubt that I will see you next week in Long Beach at the "Noise for Toys" Festival though?
I wasn't planning on it. Are you playing there? Do you have a webpage with your schedule? Post it here or send me a PM and I'll try to catch your band sometime. Thanks!

http://www.kellyraeband.com/
http://www.thebuckaroostrangers.com/

BassCliff
Old 12-12-2013, 07:38 PM

Supporting Member
BassCliff,
You are in the very place now, meaning the nice venues and professional look for your band, that many other TB members would like to be. I think it is very cool that you take the time and effort to share your gig experiences with other bass players. Also, you have very good quality photos with well defined captions on them. Makes me feel like I was there with you. Thanks for the postings.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:43 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie26 View Post
BassCliff,
You are in the very place now, meaning the nice venues and professional look for your band, that many other TB members would like to be. I think it is very cool that you take the time and effort to share your gig experiences with other bass players. Also, you have very good quality photos with well defined captions on them. Makes me feel like I was there with you. Thanks for the postings.
I second that wholeheartedly!
Old 12-13-2013, 06:59 AM
sunn #91

Supporting Member
joking aside, I like the shirts, they look great

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassCliff View Post
Hi,

Ha! In a manner of speaking. Kelly takes care of the "band uniforms" for certain types of gigs.

BassCliff
Old 12-13-2013, 08:16 AM

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie26 View Post
... I think it is very cool that you take the time and effort to share your gig experiences with other bass players...
Thank you, Mr. Stewie26, and all of you for allowing me to share my fun. I appreciate the kind words. Yes, I am blessed and very fortunate to have such opportunities. I hope the same for all of you. Break a leg!

BassCliff