Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Off Topic [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off Topic [BG] Non-music-related discussion and chat

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-28-2012, 12:14 PM

I'm doing a fam vacation thing in Tahoe- I have vowed to come back and do the shuttle thing w/my 13-yr-old son come warmer weather. Anybody w/firsthand exp, please chime in. I'm wanting to either rent him a good DH rig(tricky maybe- he is *compact* his MTB is a 15")& use my Gemini, or get us both rental bikes, depending on available options.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokof View Post
Mark , let me help you (again) with your obsession :

http://moots.com/afternoon-ti/moots-frosti-snow-bike/

Wow! Moots is definitely a long way out of my price range right now. I can get into a Pugsley complete for about 1600. I expect the Moots frame is more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassteban View Post
I'm doing a fam vacation thing in Tahoe- I have vowed to come back and do the shuttle thing w/my 13-yr-old son come warmer weather. Anybody w/firsthand exp, please chime in. I'm wanting to either rent him a good DH rig(tricky maybe- he is *compact* his MTB is a 15")& use my Gemini, or get us both rental bikes, depending on available options.
Are you talking a developed bike park like Northstar? Most of these places would have a good selection of DH bikes in their rental fleets. I'd think that small sized DH bike would fit your boy. DH frames tend to run a bit small anyway. At a resort it's worth your while to have a full on DH sled. $0.02.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:36 PM

Yeah, Mark- my boy is pretty fascinated w/DH & jumping; I'd love to fan the flames.. a quick look at NorthStar has me planning a summer father/son Tahoe trip
Old 12-28-2012, 06:45 PM

Owner: Atkinson Music, Inc.

Supporting Member
Subscribed
2 Kids, a Great Wife and 1 Amazing God
Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 PM

Killer. They do a good range from beginner to insane-level courses, right?
Old 12-28-2012, 11:47 PM

Positive Grid Beta tester

Quote:

Fresh off the trail

Post-cleanup
I've never got such injuries on my face, even after falling on my roller skies!
Geddy Lee sig.#149,Ric.#383,Norwegianbassplayers#74,Official Virtual AMPEG Portaflex Club#...1010101-02 https://soundcloud.com/rude-duke/fragments-of-life
Old 12-29-2012, 12:50 AM

I was overdue- hadn't fallen good and hard for several years.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:36 AM

Shaver grade ,eldridge,fish ,railroad grade pretty much all of Tam.Back in the 80's when there was hardly a mountain bike sold. I remember people saying 800 dollars for a bike?are you crazy.We come a long way.Nice to see the original boys still around the county where it was all born.Love living here.Mt Burnel in Novato is cool too
Norcal Bass#5 Ibanez#645
Hartke#165,Gallien-Krueger#790
Fender Jazz#575,P#54 ,Aerodyne#12,Tricked out Squier#122,Lakland#449
Old 12-29-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy K View Post
Shaver grade ,eldridge,fish ,railroad grade pretty much all of Tam.Back in the 80's when there was hardly a mountain bike sold. I remember people saying 800 dollars for a bike?are you crazy.We come a long way.Nice to see the original boys still around the county where it was all born.Love living here.Mt Burnel in Novato is cool too
How many turkey day rides have you done?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:27 AM

6 and not complete can't hang with the hardcore riders LOL I would ride with the Farey brothers.I just found a copy of Johns LP the other day.BTW
Norcal Bass#5 Ibanez#645
Old 12-29-2012, 11:41 AM

T-Day

One year, the weather was iffy at the start- misty, windy, COLD. It worsened along the way, never develpoing into a full rain but the wind got ugly. Keep in mind this ride is 18 miles that feels like 40, so inside I was crying like a pack of Girl Scouts whose leader just got eaten by bears. At the top, right before the legendary Repack downhill, a hand, holding a FRESHLY-BREWED CUP OF ESPRESSO(!!!)appeared out of the mist.. I said, 'I love you' and I meant it. Instant best ride ever. This dude had towed a trailer w/all the equipment to hand out espresso in the storm. I wanted to tongue-kiss the guy
Old 12-29-2012, 01:22 PM

same guy from the farmers market????
Norcal Bass#5 Ibanez#645
Old 12-29-2012, 01:46 PM

Oh I don't know- I'm not THAT local... I'm from Vacaville
Old 12-30-2012, 12:37 PM

Owner: Atkinson Music, Inc.

Supporting Member
Montana boy here. Unfortunately it just plain too cold ride here. Really missing it.

The bikes are just hanging out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356896192671.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	308200  
2 Kids, a Great Wife and 1 Amazing God
Old 12-30-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanamike View Post
Montana boy here. Unfortunately it just plain too cold ride here. Really missing it.

Turner, Yeti, Pivot & a ______(?)... Request better pics and/or descriptions. If we can't ride let's talk gear, eh?
Old 12-30-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Mark- my boy is pretty fascinated w/DH & jumping; I'd love to fan the flames.. a quick look at NorthStar has me planning a summer father/son Tahoe trip
Quote:
Killer. They do a good range from beginner to insane-level courses, right?
I've never been but I hear there's a lot of fun stuff at N*. Warning: lift assisted riding is addictive and will eventually lead to trips to Mecca (i.e. Whistler bike park). There are a lot of great bike parks but none of them even approach Whistler in terms of scale and variety. Where else can you do a 3400' high speed descent with 150+ groomed jumps, then go back to the top and do the same on all technical trails?

Quote:
I was overdue- hadn't fallen good and hard for several years.
Looks like you had a good one. I'm way overdue myself, though I nearly did it Friday morning. Steep chute with a blind entrance. I've done it a thousand times so I know the line but I didn't expect it to be a pure sheet of ice. I made it to the bottom on the bike but it was super sketchy.

Quote:
One year, the weather was iffy at the start- misty, windy, COLD. It worsened along the way, never develpoing into a full rain but the wind got ugly. Keep in mind this ride is 18 miles that feels like 40, so inside I was crying like a pack of Girl Scouts whose leader just got eaten by bears. At the top, right before the legendary Repack downhill, a hand, holding a FRESHLY-BREWED CUP OF ESPRESSO(!!!)appeared out of the mist.. I said, 'I love you' and I meant it. Instant best ride ever. This dude had towed a trailer w/all the equipment to hand out espresso in the storm. I wanted to tongue-kiss the guy
Great story!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanamike View Post

Never too cold.

Here's how my last ride ended. The first flakes started falling as I was getting off the trail. -5c with 80km/hr winds. Chilly in the open! Most of the people I know think I'm off my head. They're probably right!

Quote:
Turner, Yeti, Pivot & a ______(?)... Request better pics and/or descriptions. If we can't ride let's talk gear, eh?
Yeah, nice quiver! More details please. We love talking gear here!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Reccord View Post
-5c with 80km/hr winds. Chilly in the open! Most of the people I know think I'm off my head. They're probably right!
... Yup, a little bit.

What gear do you wear for weather like that ... a snowmobile suit?

I'll ride as long as it's around 36*/2c ... not counting wind chill. I'll do 32*/0c as long as there isn't much wind. Eh, I wear shorts.
Elrick #31

Last edited by ubado : 12-30-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubado View Post
... Yup, a little bit.

What gear do you wear for weather like that ... a snowmobile suit?

I'll ride as long as it's around 36*/2c ... not counting wind chill. I'll do 32*/0c as long as there isn't much wind. Eh, I wear shorts.

I usually wear shorts down to about freezing, below that I wear a pair of nylon pants over lycra bike shorts. If it's really cold I'll wear thermal underwear. I wear a thin wool base layer, a long sleeve jersey and a waterproof cycling shell up top. If it's really cold I'll wear a thin wool beanie under my helmet. If it's really cold I'll wear a pair of light ski gloves. I stick to the wooded trails to stay out of the wind. The coastal trails along the tops of the cliffs are too exposed and there's a lot of salt spray for winter riding. Our trails are low speed and super tech so I don't find it hard to stay warm. Another pic from Friday looking out towards the coast. Those cliffs are 500' high so you can see that those are pretty big waves out there. Look how high the white reaches up the cliffs. There's a trail running along the top. Not very pleasant on a day like this.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:34 AM

Back when I was training a lot I went on a 45 mile out and back road ride. When I started it was a little over 40 degrees (F) it was raining a little bit but it didnt look to terrible. At about mile 15 the rain turned into a nice downpour and the temperature had droped about 5 degrees (estimate). I decided to keep on going (haha). About the time I turned around (mile 22.5) the temperature had dropped more and the wind was starting to really pick up, at least the rain had settled down a bit.
On the way back home my miserable 40 degree rain ride turned into a pretty epically terrible survival ride. Think hell but ice instead of fire. The temperature steadily droped, an about 10 miles from home the rain turned to sleet and snow. The last 5 miles were probable the worst 5 I have ever spent on a bike, it was snowing so hard you couldnt see and it was building up on the road.
When I got back to the house it was about 24 degrees. I had ice covering my entire body and I couldnt get my gear off because it was frozen shut. My shoes had about a quarter inch of solid ice covering them.
Haha, Its funny looking back though.