Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Off Topic [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off Topic [BG] Non-music-related discussion and chat


Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #41  
Old 01-29-2013, 10:04 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloasdaylight View Post

Facebook has a right to do what they want and change the terms of their usage agreement whenever they feel like it. You have the right to cease using their services whenever you feel like it. Where it gets ****** is when they release a new ToS that has retroactive effects, meaning that EVERYTHING on your page, regardless of when it was posted, is now fair game, instead of the stuff posted after the new ToS went into effect.
It is a sense of entitlement to warn others of things they may want to know. Haven't we learned anything here.
__________________
Killing threads with stunning regularity.
  #42  
Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 AM
_____________
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Supporting Member
Why is it that if you criticize FB you're mockingly accused of having a false "sense of entitlement" or "divine right"? Or worse it's vaguely assumed you're a tinfoil hat paranoid?

The idea that it's a choice to use or not to use FB is in simple terms absolutely correct. But just like it's simply a choice to use alcohol, heroin, to gamble or eat sugar the further you go into it the more dependent you become and the more likely the entities providing it to you are to take advantage. Make no mistake the core problem is that for far too many FB is an addiction. So while it's real easy to pontificate from the safety of your computer about "just saying no" the reality is that many who understand that no is the best answer will say yes to continue getting the fix. It's part of a complex social issue that we should be discussing without knee-jerk dismissal of ideas we aren't initially inclined to agree with.
__________________
The process of coming to a conclusion is vastly more important than the conclusion itself.

Last edited by jeffbonny : 01-29-2013 at 10:18 AM.
  #43  
Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Edinburgh & Dundee, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwaynieAD View Post
Myspace still gets more traffic per day than twitter. and it's relaunching.
Does it? I know it isn't an ideal system but Alexa puts them pretty far apart at the moment.

Will be interesting to see how the re-launch goes, probably about due for a swing in social media sites again.
__________________
EB Musicman/Ibanez/Ampeg/Peavey/Marshall/Tech 21
  #44  
Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbonny View Post
Why is it that if you criticize FB you're mockingly accused of having a false "sense of entitlement" or "divine right"? Or worse it's vaguely assumed you're a tinfoil hat paranoid?
Because certain people are pretty gullible overall and get fixated on slogans they hear from others or from their radio/TV pundits. Then they start to see life through the prism of these mantras without really thinking through what they say.

They aren't even aware they are corrupting the same principle they think they are defending.

As I see it, a lot of is based in propaganda residue from the tax war and the health care battle.
__________________
Killing threads with stunning regularity.
  #45  
Old 01-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_got_a_mohawk View Post
Does it? I know it isn't an ideal system but Alexa puts them pretty far apart at the moment.

Will be interesting to see how the re-launch goes, probably about due for a swing in social media sites again.
It's not even close.

Pinterest is the rocket ship right now but Google+ just quietly passed up Twitter for #2. A lot of those stats count activity through Gmail profiles though.

FB is going to have some serious issues in the next couple of years because their whole idea just isn't built for the future, nobody wants to waste time to go through a layer of Facebook just to do a mobile search for a local shop. That arena will suit Google much better.

Google+ is probably inevitable because it is practically built into Gmail and because companies will think that Google social media will offer them search ranking benefits that FB cannot. That would be illegal and won't happen, but people will believe it nonetheless.
__________________
Killing threads with stunning regularity.
  #46  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Perry County, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_got_a_mohawk View Post
Does it? I know it isn't an ideal system but Alexa puts them pretty far apart at the moment.

Will be interesting to see how the re-launch goes, probably about due for a swing in social media sites again.
my bands manager/graphic designer/web designer works a lot with social media in his daytime gig and showed me the stats, I couldn't believe it either but it was still there in black and white. myspace is still huge for music coming close to reverbnation and has more traffic than twitter. its so user unfriendly my band doesn't even bother with it more than once every 3-6 months tho.

the relaunch is basically turning it into facebooks timeline only horizontally. Justin Timberlake has big time interests (money) in the company and he is spearheading the relaunch, infact it may have already relaunched.
  #47  
Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 PM
NWB NWB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kirkland, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marial View Post
If you don't like it, don't use it.
I don't and I won't.
__________________
Club Clement #27
There Will Never be a Venue that Charges ME to Play Club #42 (The Larch)
  #48  
Old 01-29-2013, 12:26 PM
NWB NWB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kirkland, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brother View Post
They are asking suspect accounts for ID's but not requiring them to join. They really want to though because it means they can charge higher ad rates to reach verified demographic bios.

Some here have no idea how much they know about you. More than your family. Probably more than your wife. It isn't just Facebook, every click you make is cataloged for someones marketing plans.

Hopefully we don't have a future where health insurers can see all your 20 year old party posts and jack your rates up in your 50s. Because that information is already at their fingertips and will still be 30 years from now.

If you don't care, great! But prove it. Put your money where your mouth is and post your internet history for us.

Here's another that isn't talked about yet but will be.

Intelligent people can sometimes pick up on very personal facts about you based on the ads that show up following an email from you. Especially Gmail. It isn't hard to notice these ads and put two and two together. They are telegraphing what other people are talking about in private conversations. They already know the relationship between you two and figure you might like or need the same things.

It isn't paranoia. I do internet marketing and social media for a few influential people, it is my job to know this.

If you don't give a rats *** about your private life leaking around the world, then tell them all they want to know! But it is pretty lame to mock others that do care and want to keep a private life that isn't cataloged for others to buy and sell.

Trust me, they have some real reasons to feel concerned.
Dang, this is one of the best posts I've read in ages!

Thanks much!
__________________
Club Clement #27
There Will Never be a Venue that Charges ME to Play Club #42 (The Larch)
  #49  
Old 01-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Edinburgh & Dundee, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brother View Post
It's not even close.

Pinterest is the rocket ship right now but Google+ just quietly passed up Twitter for #2. A lot of those stats count activity through Gmail profiles though.

FB is going to have some serious issues in the next couple of years because their whole idea just isn't built for the future, nobody wants to waste time to go through a layer of Facebook just to do a mobile search for a local shop. That arena will suit Google much better.

Google+ is probably inevitable because it is practically built into Gmail and because companies will think that Google social media will offer them search ranking benefits that FB cannot. That would be illegal and won't happen, but people will believe it nonetheless.
The stats I saw had FB at #1, followed by Google.

Google+ being the #2 most visited site behind Pintrest? Certainly don't think Google+ has ousted FB, it's certainly rarely used over these parts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DwaynieAD View Post
my bands manager/graphic designer/web designer works a lot with social media in his daytime gig and showed me the stats, I couldn't believe it either but it was still there in black and white. myspace is still huge for music coming close to reverbnation and has more traffic than twitter. its so user unfriendly my band doesn't even bother with it more than once every 3-6 months tho.

the relaunch is basically turning it into facebooks timeline only horizontally. Justin Timberlake has big time interests (money) in the company and he is spearheading the relaunch, infact it may have already relaunched.
Fair enough, the stats I've seen have all been pretty different, though none have had Myspace doing all that well. We still have a Myspace profile too (and a few others dotted about), as you say, you can just leave them as is for the most part.
__________________
EB Musicman/Ibanez/Ampeg/Peavey/Marshall/Tech 21
  #50  
Old 01-29-2013, 01:02 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_got_a_mohawk View Post
The stats I saw had FB at #1, followed by Google.

Google+ being the #2 most visited site behind Pintrest? Certainly don't think Google+ has ousted FB, it's certainly rarely used over these parts.




Fair enough, the stats I've seen have all been pretty different, though none have had Myspace doing all that well. We still have a Myspace profile too (and a few others dotted about), as you say, you can just leave them as is for the most part.
I assumed we all knew FB to still be #1 by a wide margin. That isn't in doubt anywhere.

Google lags behind in real life but because of G-Mail they have higher traffic numbers than others and more user registrations.

This chart is one day old, the study does not count total numbers of users, but active users on a monthly basis:



http://www.pcworld.com/article/20265...-facebook.html
__________________
Killing threads with stunning regularity.
  #51  
Old 01-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Just south of Atlanta!
I have a really hard time believing G+'s rank. As someone in college who has an incredibly wide circle of friends, I can only think of a handful of people who use it. Many of us did sign up for it, but most of us went back to FB within a month or two.
__________________
My Band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJPJv-NUbw0
  #52  
Old 01-29-2013, 01:19 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmattbassplaya View Post
I have a really hard time believing G+'s rank. As someone in college who has an incredibly wide circle of friends, I can only think of a handful of people who use it. Many of us did sign up for it, but most of us went back to FB within a month or two.
It's all gmail stats. Nobody is really posting anything but the registrations are real. My feeling is it will eventually catch on by default thanks to G-Mail, but the one thing Google doesn't seem to realize is that people have a rather industrial, robotic impression of them as a company. One box, type what you want and off you go.

That kind of to the point industriousness is great for a search engine but kind of cold for social networking. It is two clashing brand identities that they need to figure out if they want to keep them both.
__________________
Killing threads with stunning regularity.
  #53  
Old 01-29-2013, 01:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Perry County, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_got_a_mohawk View Post




Fair enough, the stats I've seen have all been pretty different, though none have had Myspace doing all that well. We still have a Myspace profile too (and a few others dotted about), as you say, you can just leave them as is for the most part.
I can't verify the stats I've seen so I could be way off. fact of the matter is facebook is number 1 and that's what makes it important to deal with.

the more places you put your music the more chances you have for people to find your music.
  #54  
Old 01-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brisbane, Australia
If you post photos on Facebook (or anywhere on the net), they're out there forever. So what? They're just photos, and if you didn't want anyone to see them, you wouldn't have posted them in the first place.

If, however, Facebook or anyone else required me post a photo, I wouldn't join. I wonder how many people would join this site if they were required to give some sort of I.D. (photo or otherwise). Very few, I imagine. That being said, I have no problem with Talkbass (and similar sites) using my browser history for directed advertising. That's how these sites survive, after all. If I look up something private, it's simple to hide your history if you want to.

If Facebook goes too far, there's a dozen companies out there ready to take their place. It's been happening since the internet started, with messenger services, browsers, search engines, etc. Consumers actually have all the power when it comes to the Internet.
  #55  
Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 PM
MatticusMania's Avatar
LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pomona, SoCal
Send a message via Skype™ to MatticusMania
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMgibson View Post
If you post photos on Facebook (or anywhere on the net), they're out there forever. So what? They're just photos, and if you didn't want anyone to see them, you wouldn't have posted them in the first place.

If, however, Facebook or anyone else required me post a photo, I wouldn't join. I wonder how many people would join this site if they were required to give some sort of I.D. (photo or otherwise). Very few, I imagine. That being said, I have no problem with Talkbass (and similar sites) using my browser history for directed advertising. That's how these sites survive, after all. If I look up something private, it's simple to hide your history if you want to.

If Facebook goes too far, there's a dozen companies out there ready to take their place. It's been happening since the internet started, with messenger services, browsers, search engines, etc. Consumers actually have all the power when it comes to the Internet.
I agree.
__________________
Bassist/Vocalist for Sapient Sun
Next Show: TBA

Bassist Club: Veg#33 Buddhist#11 LGBT#5
  #56  
Old 01-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMgibson View Post
If you post photos on Facebook (or anywhere on the net), they're out there forever. So what? They're just photos, and if you didn't want anyone to see them, you wouldn't have posted them in the first place.

If, however, Facebook or anyone else required me post a photo, I wouldn't join. I wonder how many people would join this site if they were required to give some sort of I.D. (photo or otherwise). Very few, I imagine. That being said, I have no problem with Talkbass (and similar sites) using my browser history for directed advertising. That's how these sites survive, after all. If I look up something private, it's simple to hide your history if you want to.

If Facebook goes too far, there's a dozen companies out there ready to take their place. It's been happening since the internet started, with messenger services, browsers, search engines, etc. Consumers actually have all the power when it comes to the Internet.
Quote:
‘Some or all of the Service may be supported by advertising revenue.

To help us deliver interesting paid or sponsored content or promotions, you agree that a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos (along with any associated metadata), and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you.

If you are under the age of eighteen (18), or under any other applicable age of majority, you represent that at least one of your parents or legal guardians has also agreed to this provision (and the use of your name, likeness, username, and/or photos (along with any associated metadata)) on your behalf’.
Are you sure? Do you realize what this says?

Your name, testimony and big smiling mug might just show up day in a national ad for a toilet seat, because one day you joked about how great your ass felt on it in Facebook.

Yeah that example might be extreme, but that is exactly what this implies and what they intend to use it for.
__________________
Killing threads with stunning regularity.
  #57  
Old 01-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Relic's Avatar
Cow are you?
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Robbinsville, NJ
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brother View Post
Are you sure? Do you realize what this says?

Your name, testimony and big smiling mug might just show up day in a national ad for a toilet seat, because one day you joked about how great your ass felt on it in Facebook.

Yeah that example might be extreme, but that is exactly what this implies and what they intend to use it for.

My wife was just telling me about a settlement from FB for using some pics inappropriately or something like that. (I was tuning her out at the moment when she was explaining...it happens..)
Apparently several people won teeny settlements. I'll see if I can dig up more info, this is a really vague post, sorry.

Yeah, here you go:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/28/tech...ion/index.html

Last edited by Relic : 01-29-2013 at 02:21 PM.
  #58  
Old 01-29-2013, 02:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
My wife was just telling me about a settlement from FB for using some pics inappropriately or something like that. (I was tuning her out at the moment when she was explaining...it happens..)
Apparently several people won teeny settlements. I'll see if I can dig up more info, this is a really vague post, sorry.

Yeah, here you go:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/28/tech...ion/index.html
That is exactrly what this new TOS is about, taking that concept and removing all the legal barriers that tripped them up with sponsored stories.

It is retroactively applied. Thank God I didn't talk about that night with the Brazilian women's soccer team, a case of rum, a donkey and a tub of Crisco on the interweb.

Gotta love 21st century perspectives that believe retroactive legal agreements are a good concept. This period of history is rather nuts and is going to be studied for a long time, at least we are providing the future with some lessons to learn.
__________________
Killing threads with stunning regularity.
  #59  
Old 01-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brother View Post
That is exactrly what this new TOS is about, taking that concept and removing all the legal barriers that tripped them up with sponsored stories.

It is retroactively applied. Thank God I didn't talk about that night with the Brazilian women's soccer team, a case of rum, a donkey and a tub of Crisco on the interweb.

Gotta love 21st century perspectives that believe retroactive legal agreements are a good concept. This period of history is rather nuts and is going to be studied for a long time, at least we are providing the future with some lessons to learn.
I agree with you on the "retroactive" stuff; it shouldn't be allowed. I've never trusted those sites anyway, so I don't post photos, and anything other than general "chit-chat" I take it to email (or the phone).

I suppose it's a worry for children though - I'm not sure how I'd feel if I had a young teenager using Facebook. They seem to post any damn thing on the net without a moment's thought.
  #60  
Old 01-29-2013, 02:44 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
The other weird thing I keep forgetting is that the OP isn't even talking about pictures, there is a massive failure of comprehension going on.

He was talking about Facebook requiring a copy of your drivers license or official ID to join.

That isn't exactly true, they are requiring them for accounts they deem may be fake, but let's at least beat him up for the right reasons...

Regarding fakes, I once tried to remove a fake Facebook account targeting my girlfriends young daughter with some really nasty stuff. To even open a dialog with Facebook about it they wanted me to send a fax of the victims photo ID. Who was 12 and didn't have one....

Facebook never contacted me about this, I had to resort to sending the faked profile an equally fake legal threat, it disappeared in an hour.

They don't care about protecting users, they care about numbers of verified accounts they can use to justify their ad rates with.
__________________
Killing threads with stunning regularity.
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Visit TalkBass on Facebook   Download our iOS app   Download our Android app

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:14 PM.




2012 Talk Music Group Inc. All rights reserved.
Play guitar too? Visit TalkGuitar.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.