Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Off Topic [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off Topic [BG] Non-music-related discussion and chat

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 11-26-2012, 03:20 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to pocketgroove
Disney World is closer to me than Disney Land, but I've never been. I'd still like to go, but I have some skepticism about the potential stress level involved.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:23 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakiSupaStar View Post
Do disneyland on acid. It'll bring it right back for you.
Dude, I'm not saying I did that. But I did do that back in the day it probably would account for why I like the Ralph Stedman drawings so much.

#1 TBOTNN Club
83-1-1
37-2-9
83-1-11
82-2-1
Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 PM

Supporting Member
Many of you may know that Leo Fender was born in a barn in Anaheim. I can hear it now. "Hey Leo, close the door. What were you born in a barn? "Yes, as a matter of fact I was born in a barn."

#1 TBOTNN Club
83-1-1
37-2-9
83-1-11
82-2-1
Old 11-26-2012, 03:27 PM

Supporting Member
$87 for one park, $125 park hopper. That's kind-of expensive but your kids will like it. Have a good time, make some nice memories.
I get a slight discount at work but not much. Not worth it. My gf wanted to go last weekend. I asked her if she was on drugs.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
You sleep at 9:30?
Yes. Yes I do

Man these days come 8:00 or so I'm already yawnin
Old 11-26-2012, 03:30 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroni tony View Post
Yes. Yes I do

Man these days come 8:00 or so I'm already yawnin
Shouldn't this be in the "Things that happen when you grow old" thread?

#1 TBOTNN Club
83-1-1
37-2-9
83-1-11
82-2-1
Old 11-26-2012, 03:32 PM

haha!

I was just thinkin the same thing
Old 11-26-2012, 03:33 PM

I loved it as a kid. My mom used to take us there once every year. It's not about kids though, it's about parents buying stuff for kids. Kinda like HP printers. Not about the piece of crap printer, it's about buying toner for it. That said, on the rare occasions I do go there anymore I still enjoy it. If I went on a regular basis it would get old pretty quick.

I have in the past caught many a good live show at Downtown Disney House of Blues and look forward to continuing to do so. Very conveniently located to me, reasonable ticket prices, good artists and not a bad seat in the house. Yeah, I dig that.
Dolphins must think we're complete idiots.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:43 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinplace View Post
I loved it as a kid. My mom used to take us there once every year. It's not about kids though, it's about parents buying stuff for kids. Kinda like HP printers. Not about the piece of crap printer, it's about buying toner for it. That said, on the rare occasions I do go there anymore I still enjoy it. If I went on a regular basis it would get old pretty quick.

I have in the past caught many a good live show at Downtown Disney House of Blues and look forward to continuing to do so. Very conveniently located to me, reasonable ticket prices, good artists and not a bad seat in the house. Yeah, I dig that.
Ever seen Brother Yusef who plays in the street at Downtown Disney? Me and my grandson really like him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz3q8...eature=related

#1 TBOTNN Club
83-1-1
37-2-9
83-1-11
82-2-1

Last edited by slobake : 11-26-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobake View Post
Ever seen Brother Yusef who plays in the street at Downtown Disney? Me and my grandson really like him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz3q8...eature=related
No, I haven't seen him. I'll keep a lookout next time though. I also seem to recall seeing a good band once in the lounge of the "Jazz Kitchen" as well.
Dolphins must think we're complete idiots.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:58 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinplace View Post
No, I haven't seen him. I'll keep a lookout next time though. I also seem to recall seeing a good band once in the lounge of the "Jazz Kitchen" as well.
I haven't been there in two years, I don't know if he still plays there. He said he was a regular at the time.

#1 TBOTNN Club
83-1-1
37-2-9
83-1-11
82-2-1
Old 11-26-2012, 04:10 PM
LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Send a message via Skype™ to MatticusMania
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by preside View Post
Stedman was/is a genius with a truly demented way of seeing the world. I love what he did for Hunter S , he drew like Thompson wrote.
If you enjoy his work, I recommend you check out this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroni tony View Post
ggaarrwrrwrwrwr!! I get free fireworks every night, whether I want it or not. Sometimes it keeps me from falling asleep
Nope, youre just going to bed too soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck norriss View Post
$87 for one park, $125 park hopper. That's kind-of expensive but your kids will like it. Have a good time, make some nice memories.
I get a slight discount at work but not much. Not worth it. My gf wanted to go last weekend. I asked her if she was on drugs.
Meanwhile I can grab a 2013 Season Pass for Six Flags that also allows me the rest of 2012 for $65, no blackout dates.
Im buying one for me and my gf as Xmas presents.

Disneyland? I cant stand the place. I only ever go if Ive been given free passes.

Bassist Club: Veg#33 Buddhist#11 LGBT#5
Old 11-26-2012, 05:46 PM

My big memory of Disneyland was almost blindly running straight into Ed McMahon, He had some kids with him that I assumed were his grandchildren. My sister pulled me out of the way to avoid an embarassing and potentially suprising mishap. Oh and space mountain was fun too.

That steadman book looks cool, will have to check that out.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Terrific Twister

Send a message via AIM to MJ5150 Send a message via Yahoo to MJ5150
Supporting Member
I lived around the corner from Disneyland as a child, we went quite a bit. This was back when you had to buy tickets for the rides, and the tickets were A, B, C, D, and E. E was the best rides and the most expensive. We would save up and buy a book of tickets. Last trip there was about five years ago, I loved it.

People are trying to make money everywhere you go....movie theaters, sports venues, zoos, waterparks, etc. I'm not bothered by Disney doing the same thing.

-Mike
Old 11-26-2012, 06:27 PM

My grandfather took us to Disneyland about once a month when I was growing up. I've been there well over a hundred times. I love the place and I don't think it's changed that much over the past 30-something years. When I was a kid (early '80s), an adult ticket was $45, so if you account for inflation that price really hasn't gone up much, if at all.

It's kind of like Vegas in that your perception of the place will have a lot to do with who you're with. You can have a blast there or you can complain about this and that and not have a good time. It depends on your attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
I lived around the corner from Disneyland as a child, we went quite a bit. This was back when you had to buy tickets for the rides, and the tickets were A, B, C, D, and E. E was the best rides and the most expensive. We would save up and buy a book of tickets. Last trip there was about five years ago, I loved it.

-Mike
I'm just old enough to remember those tickets.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:55 PM

Supporting Member
A little surprised at the pounding the Rat is taking up in here, especially from the locals. But then I guess not either. I have a love/hate with the Rat for many of the reasons stated. But in he end, I have found this to probably be where I am at with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matante View Post
It's kind of like Vegas in that your perception of the place will have a lot to do with who you're with. You can have a blast there or you can complain about this and that and not have a good time. It depends on your attitude.
I have daughters 9 and 11, and we have gone for a couple of days once a year for the little one's birthday the last 4 years, and we all have a blast. Went just last month in fact, and we all agreed it was the best time yet. We try to go at the best times to avoid the hordes of mouth-breathing a-holes, but they are as inevitable as the cost. My kids are old enough now to appreciate and help with the challenge of dealing with the "issues" some have raised. It's really become a fun bonding time we look forward to each year.

I'll say my experience with staff is that it is at the same very high standard. I could offer many examples. My latest: oldest kid spent her allowance money on a new baseball cap, but did not secure it on the new Cars ride, and lost it. My wife asked if there was any chance to retrieve it, and they said maybe, they do collect up stuff when the ride is down, check back later, or file claim with lost and found. So we file claim with L&F, but sure enough, check back at end of night, they check the basket of stuff collected up that day, and kid gets hat back. Turned that frown upside down. Left park but never informed lost and found that it was found, week later in the mail, second hat shows up. Those peeps deal with a boat load of crap, and I don't recall ever seeing them be rude, even in the face of totally douchey behavior. They can get hamstrung by some of the inane corporate rules from time to time. But rude, no way.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:38 PM

Supporting Member
It's not about the money.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mickey-rat-money.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	302259  

#1 TBOTNN Club
83-1-1
37-2-9
83-1-11
82-2-1
Old 11-27-2012, 12:03 AM
Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Send a message via Skype™ to two fingers
GOLD Supporting Member
Meh. It's all about the kids for me. I went as a kid and loved it. I can't wait to take my daughters. I live through them when it comes to stuff like that. I don't observe the theme park itself. I watch my kid laugh, smile, gasp, etc. I don't think the Disney parks are really designed for the average adult. We're too hard to impress.

But I'll go along with you on one point. For me personally (kids notwithstanding) a walk in the woods is the best. When I get a few hours of just me time, I find the nearest patch of trees and take off walking.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:18 AM

Around here we have "Hershey Park"

of course when I was a kid I loved the place, now, not so much. What seemed like a huge park when I was young seems so small now.

but we still have the free "chocolate world ride" and zoo america.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:23 AM

i have been to los angeles it wasnt even on my list of things to do, mind you i travelled around the planet for nearly 4 years and mostly just visited bars