Living on the gulf coast in Mobile, Alabama, late afternoon and evening thunderstorms are quite common this time of year. About 8:00 last night a big one rolled through. I turned of the AC, because there was a lot of thunder and lightning, pretty close by. We had two very close strikes, in fact, we heard a big ZZZZZZZZZZT simultaneously with the lightning and thunder. less that two minutes later there was another. I knew something must have bit the dust, so I walked around the house checking microwave, electronics, etc. Everything was fine. I decided to stick my head out the door on the driveway side of the house to see if I saw any trees that looked like they had been struck, and to my right was vigorous flame rising from the ground up to the eve and soffit. A gas line exits the house at that point and I knew right away it was ruptured and burning. It looked like one of those pinhole burners on a cajun cooker spraying flame onto the wooden siding of my house. I got the wife and dogs out of the house, and unfortunately my tools were in the room on the inside of the wall that was burning. I asked my neighbor Jason if he had a monkey wrench and he came out in the lightning and rain and cut my gas off. I was able to extinguish the flame before major damage was done. If I hadn't been curious to see what the lightning had hit, my house would have been toast. Literally, another 2-5 minutes under that blowtorch that was created by the breech in the gas line would have had a large portion of wooden structure involved. Turns out, Lighnting went through the chain link fence, the gas line was in contact with the fence, and where it was making contact it burned through like butter.