Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Effects [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-11-2008, 10:54 PM

Operations and Warehouse, Guitar Center Rancho Cucamonga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeman1066 View Post

pricey!!! but worth it...Nuff said
That's what I am using. Mine has the depth toggle on it. Completely awesome pedal, but as stated it's a bit expensive. The A/B rate and depth settings are very very handy in a live setting when you don't want to have to bend down and change settings mid-song or in between songs/sets.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:30 PM

BUY USED!!!!!! Ce5 is great i bought one used w/ a vib mod it rocks the house Ive heard great things about cool cats.

btw HEADLE love that signature
Old 04-19-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant View Post
Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a chorus pedal for my fretless, but I am lost in the world of bass effects.

I'm not looking to run a lot of effects, or to use the potential pedal in any extreme fashion. I'd be using this chorus pedal mostly just to fatten/sweeten the tone of my bass.

What are some quality pedals to look into? The final test will, of course, be my ears and information about durability. However, with so many effects manufacturers out there, I don't know where to begin.

Thanks, in advance, for all of your feedback.

- Prashant

P.S. I'm looking to spend under $200...$300 is my limit, unless there is a signifcant improvement in quality to justify a higher cost. Thanks!
At your price range, I would recommend one of the maxon chorus pedals or the the ebs uni-chorus pedal. if you want a good sounding chorus pedal at a much lower price, I would definitely would recommend either the digitech hard-wire stereo chorus pedal or one of the danelectro chorus pedals.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:38 PM

ZOMBIE CHORUS THREAD- RUN
Old 04-19-2010, 07:45 PM
When in doubt, let your horse do the thinkin'.

Supporting Member
I'm not going to dis BOSS gear, simply state that in 35 years of playing guitar and bass I have never heard a BOSS pedal that didn't alter the signal from your instrument when the effect is turned off. Some are worse than others (where you hear the effect even when it's disengaged), but all of them have adversely affected upper harmonics at the very least.

I love the EBS chorus on my fretless. It's designed for bass, so the effect is nice and watery without garbling your low frequencies. The Carl Martin bass chorus does much the same, but is even more expensive than the EBS (which ain't cheap).

I've had a bazillion pedals over the years, and EBS are among the most well-constructed I've ever encountered. I use their bass compressor as well, with fantastic results.
Markbass Club #268
MusicMan Sterling Club #107
Old 04-19-2010, 07:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to FreaqyFrequency
Wow. 1 1/2 year bump on top of an 8 year bump. This thread's like that one kid who people keep going back to bully when he just wants to be left alone.

Last edited by FreaqyFrequency : 04-19-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassteban View Post
ZOMBIE CHORUS THREAD- RUN
Somehow I'm being reminded of the song zombie nation by kernkraft 400.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5LW07FTJbI
Old 04-19-2010, 07:50 PM

endorsments: Hartke Hydrive cabs, DR strings

Send a message via AIM to alangoldstein Send a message via Yahoo to alangoldstein
to me i want the new analog mxr wylde chorus ( zakk wylde )

it has 3 band eq and a mix knob!!!!!!!!!!!

i read above someone mentioned the fab chorus 15 bux from dano they are good too.

i like ehx as well the small clone. and poly chorus
Old 04-19-2010, 07:51 PM

endorsments: Hartke Hydrive cabs, DR strings

Send a message via AIM to alangoldstein Send a message via Yahoo to alangoldstein
and EBS of course rules.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:52 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to FreaqyFrequency
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalman85 View Post
At your price range...
I have some doubt that the OP waited ten years for your advice before he made his selection.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreaqyFrequency View Post
I have some doubt that the OP waited ten years for your advice before he made his selection.
I was just trying to be helpful with what's a good chorus pedal to purchase at his price range.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:50 PM

Operations and Warehouse, Guitar Center Rancho Cucamonga

Hahaha this is like one of those bad zombie movies where you've killed them (again) and buried them back in the ground that they came from only to realize that the ground was cursed and they've come back to life again...

In other news... Since the 2008 revival of this thread, I've moved from the Bi-Chorus to an Eventide ModFactor. Not so much because the ModFactor sounds better than the Bi-Chorus (which is, IMO, the best-sounding analog chorus on the market), but because I can save many different patches and easily switch between them.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:41 AM

I can tell you what's NOT a good chorus pedal for bass: an Ibanez CS-9 reissue. It adds a bit of noise, which is no big deal and expected with a chorus, but it also adds this terribly nasaly midrange, and also add a bit of distortion. This could be from running a Sterling 5 thru it with active pups, but still....fwiw, it sounds good with guitar.

Gear: Spector Euro 4, Spector Euro 5LX, Mesa Bass 400+, Mesa Powerhouse 1000.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:49 AM

I'm really loving my Boss CH-1. I was looking for a tone like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8PkA0wK5Q

and this one helped me get pretty damn close. Of course every now and then I still GAS for something prettier. :P
Old 04-20-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munjibunga View Post
Have you played your fretless through a chorus? I've tried it, and, amazingly, the chorus effect is pretty much swallowed up by the "mwah" of the bass. I use the same chorus (Boss CEB3, which is great), on my fretted basses, and get a nice, deep chorus effect. I'd say try it before you buy it.
I found the exact same thing! Very little effect on the fretless but GREAT on the fretted bass!
Guild Pilot Bass; Squier Fretless VM Jazz Bass; Squier P-Bass, MK Dragonfly 4-string fretless A/E Bass, Rhode Island Bass Players Club Member #11
Old 04-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Always groove....

Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjohn1299 View Post
I can tell you what's NOT a good chorus pedal for bass: an Ibanez CS-9 reissue. It adds a bit of noise, which is no big deal and expected with a chorus, but it also adds this terribly nasaly midrange, and also add a bit of distortion. This could be from running a Sterling 5 thru it with active pups, but still....fwiw, it sounds good with guitar.
Heh. I love the CS-9. Go figure.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersnyder View Post
Heh. I love the CS-9. Go figure.
I think my UE-405's chorus is basically a CS-9, and I LOVE it. It does add some noise- what I'd call *air* as opposed to hiss- it's actually kind of pleasant. I also have a CEB-3 that I'll often dial down so subtle that you can barely hear it, and keep it on for a whole song(rather than to make one part stand out).
LIVE ON ZOMBIE
Old 04-20-2010, 03:39 PM

Send a message via MSN to afroman
Well I,ve gone form the Boss Bass Chorus to Hardwire CR7 to MXR Micro Chorus to a Danalectro Cool Cat CC1.

Aside form the Hardwire which was the best IMO, the Danelectro is $40 and sound equally as good, while being smaller and still having true-bypass and to my ears retains all the low end.

Best $40, I've spend in a while.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:06 PM

whats a good bass chorus pedal

i only have 200 to spend and the only one the seems to get my attention is the ebs unichorus anyone else can tell if its good or bad or tell me another brand im open mind so hit me with what u got
Old 05-02-2011, 01:08 PM

I recently got an Analogman bi-chorus and am *very* happy with it. Very sweet sound, no low-end loss...

It wasn't cheap, though... $330. If you got the solo version it would be quite a bit less.