Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Effects [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 11-13-2012, 06:32 PM

Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine

Supporting Member
AJ, I'll be curious to hear what you think of the infinity vs boomerang. I had my eye on those since last winter, its cool to see them finally shipping.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:04 PM

Supporting Member
Anybody beta testing the midi sync update?

Quit listening with your eyes..
Old 12-03-2012, 07:16 PM

Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Brown View Post
I've got one with a Sidecar, but I just ordered the Pigtronix Infinity yesterday. I'm really interested in how they compare sound-wise.
Any results? I ended up not sticking with the Boomerang but have an Infinity en route. I actually have been having good results with my old RC-2 live, but fidelity is lacking and the inability to erase what I did with my foot is killing me at gigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Baer View Post
Regardless of what you see in the magazines, you just can't argue toast physics.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to sunbeast
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
Any results? I ended up not sticking with the Boomerang but have an Infinity en route. I actually have been having good results with my old RC-2 live, but fidelity is lacking and the inability to erase what I did with my foot is killing me at gigs.
What were you missing with the Boomerang? Do you need to save loops, or do you need the MIDI sync capabilities?
G&L Club Member #10
Old 12-04-2012, 12:02 AM

Supporting Member
I would like to be able to save a few loops. The other thing is that I found the operation of the Boomerang a bit counter-intuitive for my brain. I like having a dedicated stop button (I didn't have the sidecar). I have an RC-300 that I use as a scratchpad for new ideas and for practice but it is a bit big for some of the situations I play. The RC-2 has rather low fidelity and has it's own tap dance issues. I do however like the quantize feature with the blinking light as I can quickly tell if the loop is going to jibe with the drummer (I use it in live band situations).

Quote:
Regardless of what you see in the magazines, you just can't argue toast physics.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:46 AM

Supporting Member
If you are using it for just one loop, the loop button for that loop once recorded basically just becomes a start/stop button unless you are arming that loop for one of the other actions. If you are using one of the sync play modes, then stopping the Master Loop (3) stops the other loops along with it. I hear you about saving loops though- occasionally I am just messing around and will make some really cool part and it'd be nice to just have it saved rather than having to pull out my recorder to catch it! I have thought about getting something cheapish like an RC-2 to put after the Boomerang to copy cool ideas for future use, but I also kinda like the whole spontaneity that the Boomerang makes me hone (and I like you did not get along with the sound quality of my Boss Looper when I had one). I also could never get into the Quantize feature- somehow it seemed to actually make it harder for me to get the feel of a loop down the way I wanted oddly enough.
G&L Club Member #10
Old 12-04-2012, 03:37 PM

Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals

Supporting Member
I think I'm picking up one of these, an Infinity Looper, or and LP2....depending on what comes up used, first (I'm thinking Boomerang). Does anyone know if there's any fidelity differences in the Original Rang, +, or III or if it's just features?
Old 12-04-2012, 06:12 PM

Supporting Member
I think the Boomerang has always been known for good sample quality (and the III offers the choice between two sample rates), but I think some of the older units were easier to overload with hot signals from what I have read (which is one of the main criticisms I have heard of the earlier units). The Boomerang III can take a very high output signal, and I have rarely triggered the limit light even with a combo of 3 gain pedals before it (I remember it being fairly easy for me to clip my old RC-20XL by comparison).

All three of those options sound like good contenders for basic features, ease of use, and probably sound quality (haven't yet tried the Infinity nor the LP2 to comment on sound), but the Boomerang definitely offers more options like 4 independant loops as well as things like reverse, octave, fade, etcetera. I used to really only care about the basic looping capabilities even when I bought my Rang, but I find myself doing more and more with the extra features as I get more comfortable with the pedal. The inability for the Rang to save loops will probably always be its main con for most potential loopers...
G&L Club Member #10

Last edited by sunbeast : 12-04-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:18 PM

Supporting Member
Daaaaaaaang. My Status S2 Classic has an insanely hot signal. Looks like I'll be doing some more saving....
Old 12-04-2012, 06:46 PM

Supporting Member
I never had a +, but the fidelity of the III is considerably better than the original rang that I remember owning briefly before I went with the Echoplex. Mine very rarely overloads either, at the end of a pedalboard with several pedals that boost. The LP2 and Infinity were on my short list too, but I'm really happy with the III.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:55 PM

Supporting Member
I didn't have issues with clipping on the 'rang 3 - and I've got some hot basses.

Not impressed with the Infinity. I may end up giving the 'rang 3 another shot. 3rd time may be the charm.

Quote:
Old 12-05-2012, 05:31 AM

Supporting Member
whats the story on the infinity Todd?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:01 PM

Supporting Member
I was wondering that, too. Are the features not up to snuff or is it the fidelity?
Old 12-07-2012, 04:27 PM

Supporting Member
A couple of things. First, if I was sustaining a note and clicked to end a loop, it would have a digital pop in the loop. I didn't get that with my Boss pedals. I also wasn't crazy about the form factor (rather tall pedal, especially compared to the Boomerang), and the button function seemed like a good idea on paper but wasn't under my feet. Could be user error though - I'm not that patient. I likely will pick up another Boomerang and just work with that.

Quote:
Old 12-07-2012, 06:53 PM

Supporting Member
That "pop" issue is something that he modified the firmware on the Boomerang III to fix (its actually a "bonus" feature that can be selected), and is a result of the loop ramping back quickly to the start point which would very slightly interrupt any sustaining note over the loop. I was super annoyed by that on the Rang too at first, but now its just a matter of selecting the seamless loop behavior to get smooth overdubbing (not sure why anyone would choose the other option though!). I actually think I did have problems with that on my Boss RC-20xl as well if I wasn't careful with timing, though they also may have improved their design in the RC-3 series...
G&L Club Member #10
Old 12-18-2012, 02:28 AM

Send a message via ICQ to funkcicle Send a message via AIM to funkcicle Send a message via Yahoo to funkcicle Send a message via Skype™ to funkcicle
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Wolf View Post
I play a couple gigs a week in a duo with a guitarist that also has a III, we take turns looping parts and playing to each others loops. If we had midi sync we could build on each others loops, which would be awesome. I also play in a group with a guy who has a midi murf, timefactor and space all synced to midi. I could live loop in sync with his effects which serve as the clock for the band in certain tunes.
I do the exact same thing- a couple nights a month at the Kava Bar with a guitarist who also loops, taking turns playing to each others' loops. I finally talked him up to the "Rang III" from his Jamman and I'm itching to be able to sync them both to the same master loop.

For my bonus buttons, I have the bottom one set to "Start/Stop all" at a tap, "Stack" with a hold, the top one I have set to "Erase" with a tap, "Fade In/Out" with a hold.

I have a question for you (and any other rang users)- do you find a slight "lag" with the start/stop all button? Sometimes I'll cut out all of the loops to go to a bridge or a different section, then when it comes back around I'll cut all the loops back in. If I'm just hitting a single loop then it comes back perfectly in time with when I hit the switch, but if I hit the "Start All" bonus button there is a very slight delay that can be borderline catastrophic if I'm playing with other people. Has anyone else encountered this?
Old 12-21-2012, 11:59 AM

Supporting Member
I never use the start/stop all function so I can't comment. How are the kava bar gigs these days? Vanuatu right?

Old 12-22-2012, 04:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to funkcicle Send a message via AIM to funkcicle Send a message via Yahoo to funkcicle Send a message via Skype™ to funkcicle
Yeah Vanuatu... it's nice and chill, though a lot more crowded at the new location- even with just a duo it's a pretty tight space. I play there a couple of nights a month with Mary Sparks (hammer dulcimer, "Space Medicine") and sporadically throughout the month with other folks. I'll be there the next 2 Fridays + New Year's Eve if you feel like stopping out!
Old 01-08-2013, 05:54 AM

Supporting Member
Nice, that sounds like a fun gig, ill have to come check it out at some point. Hope the NYE gig went well.

Update on the midi sync: talked to mike from boomerang, the midi update is live, at this point it will only allow a III to accept commands from a midi clock like a drum machine or a pedal like a timefactor etc. the ability to link two rang iii's together via "brother sync" (allowing one III to send a midi click to another III without an external clock source) is several months away still. That's the function I was after specifically, so wait i shall. I will be able to use it with midi in other projects where there is some sort of clock grid happening, usually via a delay or midi murf, but the brother sync thing is what I'm holding my breath for.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:08 PM

Supporting Member
Is the bypass on this bad boy as pristine as advertised? I just picked one up off of the Classifieds, wondering if I should pick up a cheap looper or if this is all good on its own.

Can't wait to get this thing up and running.