TalkBass Forums

TalkBass Forums (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/)
-   Effects [BG] (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/)
-   -   Compressor before or after BDDI? (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/compressor-before-after-bddi-946103/)

Bassbubble11 01-05-2013 07:22 PM

Compressor before or after BDDI?

Hey folks. I just bought a compressor pedal and was wondering if I should it before or after my BDDI. My BDDI is always on if that makes a difference.

gidbass 01-05-2013 07:27 PM

try it both ways and see which sounds better to you...;)

From what I have read, i think generally compressors come first in the chain, but I could be wrong on this.

Good Luck!

mjac28 01-05-2013 07:30 PM

I always have my compressor first but I also know folks who put it last?

cybersnyder 01-05-2013 07:31 PM

I used to use my compressor first in the chain, well, after the tuner. I've since moved my M87 to right before the BDDI and I'm pretty happy with that setup. I'm also not a heavy effects user, so YMMV.

ugly_bassplayer 01-05-2013 07:33 PM

Try both,
Me I use my compressor before my preamp

Bassbubble11 01-05-2013 07:45 PM

Thanks guys, I will try it both ways.

zachreh 01-05-2013 07:49 PM

I use it after my bddi. I have the mxr m87. Ive talked to a lot of bassist and they tell me the FOH sound guy can usually compress your signal to make you sound as best as possible. Whenever I play live I use Bass-->bddi->(line out of bddi to FOH and PA)-->mxr m87-->amp.
I use the m87 as a compression for my amp because I like the way I sound with it on. Even though this isn't exactly the same sound coming out of the PA, I really like the punch and high end it adds to my sound so I use it to better suit my stage sound for myself. I trust the FOH guy enough to make me sound great, hope this helps, I think the mxr m87 and bddi are a winning combo :)

Lorenzini 01-05-2013 08:05 PM

It would pretty much always be better to compress your signal after EQ, so that your EQ'ed signal is compressed. That is, if you are happy with your signal and simply want it compressed.

Compressor before EQ = you are EQing a compressed signal. Not what I want to do with my signal personally.

zachreh 01-05-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorenzini (Post 13674615)
It would pretty much always be better to compress your signal after EQ, so that your EQ'ed signal is compressed. That is, if you are happy with your signal and simply want it compressed.

Compressor before EQ = you are EQing a compressed signal. Not what I want to do with my signal personally.

very good point, compression can be really useful if used right

Kenner 01-05-2013 09:34 PM

..it's a make your own rules kinda gig...but, my compressor is before my VT Deluxe...

ga_edwards 01-06-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorenzini (Post 13674615)

Although any on the fly adjustments will alter the behaviour of the compression, which will thus need tweaking as well. Compression before eq can be 'set and forget'.

I would be more interested how the OP is using the BDDI. If using as an overdrive, I'd put it in front of the compression to retain a natural attack and dynamic response. If using as pre-amp to get your sound and/or DI instead of or with an actual bass amp, then I would put the BDDI last to send a complete signal.

Bassbubble11 01-06-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga_edwards (Post 13676236)
Although any on the fly adjustments will alter the behaviour of the compression, which will thus need tweaking as well. Compression before eq can be 'set and forget'.

I would be more interested how the OP is using the BDDI. If using as an overdrive, I'd put it in front of the compression to retain a natural attack and dynamic response. If using as pre-amp to get your sound and/or DI instead of or with an actual bass amp, then I would put the BDDI last to send a complete signal.

I am using the BDDI to warm up my tone as well as EQ. I am using an amp at the moment that does not have built in compression. My other amp does have built in compression. I am thinking since the compression happens after the BDDI on my other setup I should start with the compressor after my BDDI on my current setup and see what happens.

scottfeldstein 01-06-2013 10:07 AM

I've just decided that the thing I'm trying to compress is my bass guitar and my playing--not my other effects. I compress it light-to-moderate, thus helping a smooth signal hit the rest of my board. If my subsequent effects change my levels and require further compression, I'm putting that responsibility on the guy at the mixing desk.