Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Effects [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 11-25-2012, 08:30 PM

The Essential

heres the question

What do you think are the essential pedals that will allow you to play any kind of music and i mean any.

here are the specifics
1. i dont want any of this "well technically you dont need anything except a tuner and or maybe compressor" crap. i know that already.
2. i want specific pedal names not for example "tremolo and delay" no say something like Tremollessence and Memory Man
3. i want the signal chain listed aswell

Thank you for you participation
Old 11-25-2012, 10:30 PM

Here's the most recommended signal chain I've ever come across ever. Korg Tuner -> Compressor of some sort, I don't use one but most people do -> Bass Big Muff Fuzz -> Sansamp Bass Driver DI-> amp
Old 11-25-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03YW View Post
Here's the most recommended signal chain I've ever come across ever. Korg Tuner -> Compressor of some sort, I don't use one but most people do -> Bass Big Muff Fuzz -> Sansamp Bass Driver DI-> amp
what this guy said...

essentials for my chain

Boss Chromatic > Diamond Bass Comp > Boss Bass Overdrive (awaiting B3K) > Sansamp Para Driver DI (I needed something more versatile in the studio than just a bass driver)
Washburn #38
Old 11-25-2012, 11:34 PM

Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals

Supporting Member
If you're looking for something that will allow you to play any style....you just need a good multi.....like the Zoom B2 or Boss GT-10B. Or try your hand in a laptop, Guitar Rig 5, an Audio Interface, and a Midi Controller.

The thing about pedals is that you pretty much have to figure out what sound you want, narrow it down, and then pick a pedal. You won't find many that do it all.

For example, I love the B3K, but it doesn't fit my band. It's too....modern sounding....or more like punk or metal....whereas the Swell B-Peg I'm using is more vintage sounding.

So if we're going for insanely versatile, I'd say one of those two multis I named.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:45 PM

Supporting Member
Now... Do you want a short/economic list, or are you talking elaborate completeness?
Or are you talking fantasy pedalboard
Old 11-25-2012, 11:50 PM

Supporting Member
Hm. Bare minimum board to survive any musical situation...

TC PolyTune tuner > MXR M87 bass envelope filter > Electro Harmonix Big Bass Muff Pi > Boss SYB-5 synth pedal

For a lot of popular music, you could play naked. For funky sounds, stomp the envelope filter. For heavier rock sounds, hit the Muff Pi. For synth-bass sounds ranging from Michael Jackson to today's pop hits, step on the SYB-5.

I think you could survive any surprise gig on just these.

I would think you'd want to go beyond mere survival, though, and get the items that best suited the kinds of music that interest you most.
Gallien-Krueger MB500, Neo 212-II
Old 11-26-2012, 12:35 AM

Supporting Member
Why would you want to be able to play any kind of music and i mean any.

You are asking for specific pedals, by brand and model, for something nebulous.

"How long is a piece of string?"
Old 11-26-2012, 06:34 AM

I tend to think picking your pedal is quite a personal experience..you gotta 'feel' it right, as kind of 'that's my girl!' so outside advice can be quite frivolous, but if you want my two cents Line 6 M13 Multi works well for me. It is chock full of more than 100 of the most popular stompbox effects. I also love the high quality build and the awesome design. Worth a look in my book. You can read more about it and others in my guitar effects pedals review blog.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:08 AM

Supporting Member
All dependent on the situation of course but a nice "coverall" would be a multi-effect as mentioned before. It's like a one size fits all shirt: it may be a little short or too big but it will do. Personally I always bring my entire board (even to an acoustic gig: did so about a week ago) as it has all my essentials and more if need be. For an intermission I played Legend of Zelda using a Boss OC-2( set to -1 OCT full, direct at 9:00)> Behringher BSY-600 (set to mode 4 for that nice square NES sound)> and WMD Geiger Counter(set to waveform 08 with a sample rate at 3:30 for an even more lo-fi sound...then we played an acoustic version of Smoke 2 Joints by Sublime.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bakkster_Man Send a message via Yahoo to Bakkster_Man Send a message via Skype™ to Bakkster_Man
Aside from the easy answer of a multi effects box...

IMO, you can do most of everything you want with three pedals: tuner, EQ w/ overdrive (Aguilar Tone Hammer, for instance), compressor. Everything else is gravy or you can accomplish acceptable results with how you play.

Of course, if you're talking session playing or a cover band across many genres, I think the following would have you covered:
Phaser or Flanger or Chorus to taste (ie, short time delay for fattening the sound)
Distortion/Fuzz (heavy rock)
Envelope Filter (Funk)
Octave/Synth for electronic music
Volume pedal, especially if live

That's it, should be able to get solid workable sounds for any genre with those 8 pedals. You might not get the perfect sound, but you won't have any gaps in types of sounds that you couldn't reproduce that you would be expected to.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:08 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by necropain
heres the question

What do you think are the essential pedals that will allow you to play any kind of music and i mean any.

here are the specifics
1. i dont want any of this "well technically you dont need anything except a tuner and or maybe compressor" crap. i know that already.
2. i want specific pedal names not for example "tremolo and delay" no say something like Tremollessence and Memory Man
3. i want the signal chain listed aswell

Thank you for you participation
Essentially all you need is just a tuner and maybe a compressor. Some people like chorus a lot but personally, I couldn't live without fuzz. You're welcome!
Official Aguilar Club Founder; Spector Club #84
Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 AM

Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake

Supporting Member
This...

+ this...

+ this...

+ this...

+ this...

Since this is for "all" music then you'd be well covered, whether it's a quiet jazz gig at a wine bar or in the pit of a symphony orchestra. Nothing says "Baroque" more to the audience than some flanged triplet delays and a bit of fuzz.