I finally got my Ginger project working. I'd have to say that I learned some lessons from building this project. Whenever I do another pedal project, I'll make sure that I order the enclosure first so that I can account for the layout of the pots, battery, and jacks.
I decided to go with the redesigned schematic layout from the DIY Stompbox forum (DIYstompboxes.com
). Below is the redesigned schematic...
Using a schematic layout program, I copied the schematic as shown above. I decided early on that I would get the 3pdt PCB-mount style switch as my true-bypass. This meant modifying the PCB design to include the schematic for a true-bypass switch (http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/...8044a841b3e85a
My first run at etching my board for the normal 2.54mm spacing was good, but the choice of drill bits I chose caused another issue. I live in a small town, and the smallest bit I could obtain was a 1/16 inch bit. This meant that the PCB holes were bigger than normal, so it required more solder to make the connections. This caused some spillover to other connections on the board because of the smaller design. So, I redesigned the layout to make the spacing larger - making my board bigger. While it still fit in the 1590BB enclosure, it made things tight for the jacks and other stuff.
But before I put the circuit into the enclosure, I tested the project out and found that I didn't get sound coming out. The culprit was a diode that was shorted to another component (excessive solder again). Much time was saved though by utilizing the method described here
. I was able to trace the signal throughout the circuit using their improvised audio probe (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED).
I have yet to adjust the voltages via the trimmer pots, as recommended on the RunOffGroove site. When I get that done, I will try to record some sound samples and post some pics of the final project. My amp is currently at my drummer's house, and my only test so far is through my headphones via a mixer board.