Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Effects [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 08:48 AM

Positive Grid Beta tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Topaz
Ok, so I hooked up the Irig to the PA this morning, and it performed as hoped.

Using just the B15 into a Carvin 2153 setup with powered sub, I was able to get an acceptable amount of volume without noise using a P-bass with flats.

I A/B'd it against my normal DI, and the DI had a bit more girth to the tone, but the Irig setup worked just fine too. I'd be ok with either one.

The interesting thing is that I've finally got a DI setup that doesn't require my amp behind me for me to be happy with my tone. I'm sure if I added the amp for more volume it would be fine, but I'm trying to keep the stage/monitor volume low.

I've also got a separate mixer going for an IEM mix. I use an old Yamaha MX12/4 for my monitor mix, just for me. The wedges are run through the Carvin head. I have the option of hearing myself through the wedges and mains, or wired IEM.

The Ampeg sounds great (and the SAME, very important) through both.
Well, now it is the time to add the Møller OD to your chain to add some more grit to the tone.
Anyway, nice to see you are finally happy with Amplitube.
Geddy Lee sig.#149,Ric.#383,Norwegianbassplayers#74,Official Virtual AMPEG Portaflex Club#...1010101-02 https://soundcloud.com/rude-duke/fragments-of-life
Old 09-30-2012, 08:52 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:

iPhone 4S.
I have a 1st generation iPhone 4... I guess I'm just out of luck...
Squier CV #90 :: Squier Affinity #12 :: SX Club :: Fender Jazz Bass #1215 :: Acoustic Amps #307 :: Ampeg Portaflex #306 :: Virtual AMPEG Portaflex #1010101-03 :: SX Club Member in Good Standing
Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrietoBass

I think the main difference between the 4 and the 4S is the dual core CPU. Nothing to do with noise.
Geddy Lee sig.#149,Ric.#383,Norwegianbassplayers#74,Official Virtual AMPEG Portaflex Club#...1010101-02 https://soundcloud.com/rude-duke/fragments-of-life
Old 09-30-2012, 10:40 AM

Beta tester for Positive Grid

Send a message via AIM to Rip Topaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke21

I think the main difference between the 4 and the 4S is the dual core CPU. Nothing to do with noise.
Very true. Though there are ZERO clicks and pops with the 4S. I was previously running AT on a 3GS, and that wasn't as successful to say the least.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:

Very true. Though there are ZERO clicks and pops with the 4S. I was previously running AT on a 3GS, and that wasn't as successful to say the least.
Yes, but the 3GS (which I have but not use for music) is quite old. But even so it is even better then my iPod 2gen which I used before I got my iPad 1

Last edited by Duke21 : 09-30-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:57 AM

Ouch.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. T.N.T.
I have been using amplitube for a looooong time now even though I have been favouring the SVTCL model more. However I have used the B15 model whenever I use my P-bass with flats going after more vintage-y tones. Most of the time I just use the existing presets(man, those are useful), especially the 60's b15-2 but I also have a more rock orientated custom preset that is essentially based on the SVTCL-Rock2 preset. Here are some sound samples.

http://soundcloud.com/ejdatsun/not-so-happy-birthday

and something a little more rocking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTXEGXilpvc
Welcome # ....10101010-4

You're using and talking about AT Mac/PC version....right? The presets on there are great. Obviously not the presets on iOS because all you get is "clean bass". Ain't that something?
The Official Fender Bassman Club #13 - The Praise and Worship Band Bassists Club # 1103 - Official Virtual Ampeg Portaflex Club #1010101-01
Old 09-30-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Ok I'm in. After hearing the "not so happy birthday" clip, I'm buying the B15. I've been an AT user for a long time, never really got on with it for live use, but this will work!!

I'll post something soon.
About time......
Member #10101010-05
The Official Fender Bassman Club #13 - The Praise and Worship Band Bassists Club # 1103 - Official Virtual Ampeg Portaflex Club #1010101-01
Old 09-30-2012, 11:31 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke21 View Post
I truly don't know what it is... but I know that the noise IS there...

Must be something on my end.
Squier CV #90 :: Squier Affinity #12 :: SX Club :: Fender Jazz Bass #1215 :: Acoustic Amps #307 :: Ampeg Portaflex #306 :: Virtual AMPEG Portaflex #1010101-03 :: SX Club Member in Good Standing
Old 09-30-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:

I truly don't know what it is... but I know that the noise IS there...

Must be something on my end.
I had much more noise when I used iPod, but with the iPad much of it is gone. But as said, with the iRig you will get more noise when you use more gain in you setup, thus amp OD or any OD/ distortion pedal. I about to order Apogee one or an other 30 pin interface which contain an inn/ out DAC. Digital sound out of the iOS device is the future.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:38 AM

I think the noise you're getting is from the levels in the setup section. They can be quite touchy. It took me forever to dial in my bass, but when I finally did, I was amazed how good it sounds.

The hiss is easily controlled by lowering highs, but the Ultra High button on the B15 adds it back instantly. Terrible noise, and that stinks because its such a great tone. The Ultra Low tone is almost identical to my BDI21 pedal. As I said before, the pedal seems to have a bit hotter of a signal. Both are usable.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I think the noise you're getting is from the levels in the setup section. They can be quite touchy. It took me forever to dial in my bass, but when I finally did, I was amazed how good it sounds.

The hiss is easily controlled by lowering highs, but the Ultra High button on the B15 adds it back instantly. Terrible noise, and that stinks because its such a great tone. The Ultra Low tone is almost identical to my BDI21 pedal. As I said before, the pedal seems to have a bit hotter of a signal. Both are usable.
Do you use iRig or a 30 pin digital out interface?
Old 09-30-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke21

Do you use iRig or a 30 pin digital out interface?
Irig for now.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Here's my effects chain and B-15R settings (pretty much copied from Adam's and Duke's until I can figure out what works for me; note that there are some differences because that was the way I was able to manage noise). I found out that the iRig doesn't have enough juice to drive a set of Sennheiser HD-280 headphones (my experience so far; I may be doing something wrong).... so what I'm doing right now is:

bass -> Art Tube MP -> iRig (AT on iPhone) -> Focusrite Saphire 6 USB -> headphones

That way I can hear it better w/o a lot of distortion (if I don't push things...).

On the recording side I still don't know what I'm doing, but I have Reaper and opened a SoundCloud account so I hope to be sharing there as soon as I go through my "a-ha" moment.
Art tube mp...... awesome. I have the art tube v3 and was thinking of using it on the output from the interface before the DI. How do you like it on the input?
Old 09-30-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:

I started using the iPhone 4 first and it was great I just made sure before the gig to have all apps closed ( not minimized) and in airplane mode so nothing incoming and no extra processing being used up by trying to keep wifi going or anything else. All processor power to the one app.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:15 PM

With the irig I was able to get out around I say about 90% of the hiss but it does take a lot of tweaking the signal...back and forth with input and output.of the incoming signal and the app's input and output settings .......you'll get it.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:19 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambomb View Post
Art tube mp...... awesome. I have the art tube v3 and was thinking of using it on the output from the interface before the DI. How do you like it on the input?
I'm sure it would sound nice if it was not for the problems I'm experiencing with the iRig. I use it with an old Fender Rumble 15 practice amp and it works nice... makes the lil' amp sound fuller without having to push it too hard.

I also use it as a gain stage into a Xenyx mixer to practice quietly with headphones. The gain on the mixer's 2 mic channels is too noisy IMO, and the other channels have no gain adjustment. Works decent there too.

I've read that some people like it at the end of their chain, but I haven't tried that.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:20 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambomb View Post
I started using the iPhone 4 first and it was great I just made sure before the gig to have all apps closed ( not minimized) and in airplane mode so nothing incoming and no extra processing being used up by trying to keep wifi going or anything else. All processor power to the one app.
Hmmm... I'll try that.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:

Hmmm... I'll try that.
Yes, on an iPhone you better use flight mode and as said close all applications (also on iPad etc.)
Old 09-30-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:

This hiss from ultra high mode is also topical for analog devices such as OD pedals and real amps where the gain is pushed along with much highs in the setup. Specially if there is some ground noise without ground lift. Actually my iPad with Amplitube can sometimes be more quite then my sansamps!
I am going to buy a digital interface such as Apogee one. There are 3 units out there which I consider.
The line6 unit:
http://line6.com/mobilein/features#studioquality
The Guitarjack 2
http://www.sonomawireworks.com/guitarjack/
And the Apogee one.
The guitar jack 2 have DAC inn AND out which is nice for good headphone tone. The Apogee will also work for PC or Mac.....

Last edited by Duke21 : 10-01-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Closed Thread