Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Pickups & Electronics [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 02-18-2013, 10:33 AM

Supporting Member
2012 RIC 4003 Tone Pot question

I have done a search for this weird problem but no luck. When I turn the treble tone knob all the way down, I get distortion from my speakers(Farting). If I raise the treble tone up just a tiny bit it goes away. Do you think this normal or something wrong with the tone pot itself?
Thanks for any input.
2012 RIC 4003 M-G, Steve Harris Precision Bass, Roadworn P-Bass, Hartke LH1000, Carvin BX500, Avatar B210 & B115, Rickenbacker Club # 496, Jaguar club #103
Old 02-18-2013, 01:44 PM

Supporting Member
Any thoughts on this?
2012 RIC 4003 M-G, Steve Harris Precision Bass, Roadworn P-Bass, Hartke LH1000, Carvin BX500, Avatar B210 & B115, Rickenbacker Club # 496, Jaguar club #103
Old 02-18-2013, 01:47 PM

Owner, SGD Music Products

Send a message via AIM to SGD Lutherie Send a message via Yahoo to SGD Lutherie
Supporting Member
When you turn down a passive tone control it gives a slight resonant boost. So that must be causing your amp to distort.

You can try lowering that pickup a little.

I don't know what kind of amp it is, or what the EQ is like, but you can either try reducing the frequency band where the distortion is happening.

SGD Lutherie on: MySpace YouTube Facebook

Ibanez Club #389 | Hartke Club #302 | Team Trace Elliot #185 | New Jersey Bassist Club #154
Old 02-18-2013, 04:58 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGD Lutherie View Post
When you turn down a passive tone control it gives a slight resonant boost. So that must be causing your amp to distort.

You can try lowering that pickup a little.

I don't know what kind of amp it is, or what the EQ is like, but you can either try reducing the frequency band where the distortion is happening.
Thanks for the reply. It definitely seems related just to the Tone Pot. I can turn the knob a tiny Smidge and the Distortion is gone. It's no big deal at all and I certainly don't need the tone rolled completely off. I'm mainly concerned that there may be some other things wrong with the pot that may get progressively worse.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 PM

When I looked inside my 2012 4003 to chase down excessive hum I found my ground wire from my bridge pickup was not attached. You might want to look inside to make sure they didn't miss something like they did on mine.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:43 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x39 View Post
When I looked inside my 2012 4003 to chase down excessive hum I found my ground wire from my bridge pickup was not attached. You might want to look inside to make sure they didn't miss something like they did on mine.
Thanks Man, I was thinking that very thing. It can't hurt to have a good look around in there. I'm a little worried because it's the push/pull pot.

Last edited by NYCbassist : 02-19-2013 at 08:57 PM.