Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Pickups & Electronics [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #321  
Old 12-30-2012, 07:13 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
12-6-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusij View Post
I'm on a launch pad too suppose to be shipping this week.
12-9-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusij View Post
my launch rescheduled for next week. shooting for monday or tuesday
Well I didn't see or hear anything the week before last when my shipping was rescheduled to. And I sent e-mails last week trying to touch base to find out any new information, but haven't been able to get a reply yet. David if you check this forum, can you please get back with me? Customer name Ryan N. Thanks.
  #322  
Old 12-30-2012, 11:15 AM
SGD Lutherie's Avatar
Registered User

Owner, SGD Music Products
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Send a message via AIM to SGD Lutherie Send a message via Yahoo to SGD Lutherie
Supporting Member
Hi Ryan,

I just sent you an email.

I've been sick, so I'm running behind on this batch.
__________________
SGD Lutherie Hand crafted pickups and electronics.

SGD Lutherie on: MySpace YouTube Facebook

Ibanez Club #389 | Hartke Club #302 | Team Trace Elliot #185 | New Jersey Bassist Club #154
  #323  
Old 12-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Thanks for the reply back looking forward to them shipping this week.
  #324  
Old 12-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Mini bass humbucker

David,
Sorry to hear u have the flu. But i have to ask what happened to my order as well, I sent u couple of emails that went unanswered. It was supposed to ship last week. Is it going out this week?

Regards,

Ed
__________________
The trouble with reality is that there is no background music. Reverend Club Member #62
  #325  
Old 12-30-2012, 03:14 PM
SGD Lutherie's Avatar
Registered User

Owner, SGD Music Products
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Send a message via AIM to SGD Lutherie Send a message via Yahoo to SGD Lutherie
Supporting Member
I have a bunch of orders I'm finishing up.

Ed, I forgot you changed your order, so I had the wrong pickup made up. I realize it as I was getting ready to ship it. But that's been corrected, and it's in this batch.
__________________
SGD Lutherie Hand crafted pickups and electronics.

SGD Lutherie on: MySpace YouTube Facebook

Ibanez Club #389 | Hartke Club #302 | Team Trace Elliot #185 | New Jersey Bassist Club #154
  #326  
Old 01-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Jared Lash's Avatar
Casting out the nines
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northern California
Supporting Member
Just to update this thread, my pickups arrived at Chris Stambaugh's shop for use in the custom semi-hollow bass he's building.

A pair of wide aperature ND3's (neck and bridge set) in chrome Thunderbird covers. Very high expectations for these.
  #327  
Old 01-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
12-6-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusij View Post
I'm on a launch pad too suppose to be shipping this week.
12-9-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusij View Post
my launch rescheduled for next week. shooting for monday or tuesday
12-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusij View Post
Well I didn't see or hear anything the week before last when my shipping was rescheduled to. And I sent e-mails last week trying to touch base to find out any new information, but haven't been able to get a reply yet. David if you check this forum, can you please get back with me? Customer name Ryan N. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGD Lutherie View Post
Hi Ryan,

I just sent you an email.

I've been sick, so I'm running behind on this batch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusij View Post
Thanks for the reply back looking forward to them shipping this week.

Shipping for mine is rescheduled again for this Tuesday.
  #328  
Old 01-06-2013, 12:20 PM
tylerwylie's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Champaign, IL
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusij View Post
Shipping for mine is rescheduled again for this Tuesday.
Hope you get them soon, I had mine installed into my Clement.

My only beef with the product is they are not as noise free as Bartolini's or EMG's, I do pick up some radio stations and other noise when my bass is very close to my computer where EMG's and Bartolini's don't.

The tone is amazing though. I have a ND3-45 wide bridge and narrow neck and it sounds awesome through the Aguilar OBP-3 preamp.

Tech wired the blend pot backwards too, bah!
__________________
Clement Bass Member #100
Clement #255; Clement #274; Clement #318
  #329  
Old 01-06-2013, 12:26 PM
SGD Lutherie's Avatar
Registered User

Owner, SGD Music Products
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Send a message via AIM to SGD Lutherie Send a message via Yahoo to SGD Lutherie
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerwylie View Post
My only beef with the product is they are not as noise free as Bartolini's or EMG's, I do pick up some radio stations and other noise when my bass is very close to my computer where EMG's and Bartolini's don't.

The tone is amazing though. I have a ND3-45 wide bridge and narrow neck and it sounds awesome through the Aguilar OBP-3 preamp.

Tech wired the blend pot backwards too, bah!
That shouldn't be. They are totally shielded. Check to make sure the tech grounded the bare drain wire from the pickup cable. Otherwise your shields will be ungrounded!

I actually used to test the pickup's shielding by placing them in front of my old CRT monitor. I hate noise!
__________________
SGD Lutherie Hand crafted pickups and electronics.

SGD Lutherie on: MySpace YouTube Facebook

Ibanez Club #389 | Hartke Club #302 | Team Trace Elliot #185 | New Jersey Bassist Club #154
  #330  
Old 01-06-2013, 12:28 PM
tylerwylie's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Champaign, IL
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGD Lutherie View Post
That shouldn't be. They are totally shielded. Check to make sure the tech grounded the bare drain wire on the pickup cable.

I actually used to test the pickups shielding by placing them in front of my old CRT monitor.
What should that wire be connected to? The cavity's covered with copper shielding tape as well.

I'll check when I get home. I will check on my fretless too since it was kinda noisy as well, however on that bass I usually kept the treble turned down a bit anyways and couldn't tell.
__________________
Clement Bass Member #100
Clement #255; Clement #274; Clement #318
  #331  
Old 01-06-2013, 12:36 PM
SGD Lutherie's Avatar
Registered User

Owner, SGD Music Products
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Send a message via AIM to SGD Lutherie Send a message via Yahoo to SGD Lutherie
Supporting Member
It should be connected to ground. Usually it's connected along with the green wire on the pickup to the volume pot's back that the pickup is wired to.

Also be aware that some types of noise, like sitting very close to digital gear (like my digital mixer) almost always induces some noise into the pickups or other wiring in the bass. Light dimmers too. That stuff is just really hard to block.

But the pickups should be very quiet.

You don't live near a radio antenna do you?
__________________
SGD Lutherie Hand crafted pickups and electronics.

SGD Lutherie on: MySpace YouTube Facebook

Ibanez Club #389 | Hartke Club #302 | Team Trace Elliot #185 | New Jersey Bassist Club #154
  #332  
Old 01-06-2013, 12:39 PM
tylerwylie's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Champaign, IL
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGD Lutherie View Post
It should be connected to ground. Usually it's connected along with the green wire on the pickup to the volume pot's back that the pickup is wired to.

Also be aware that some types of noise, like sitting very close to digital gear (like my digital mixer) almost always induces some noise into the pickups or other wiring in the bass. Light dimmers too. That stuff is just really hard to block.

But the pickups should be very quiet.

You don't live near a radio antenna do you?
I do not, however with say, the EMG's or Bartolini's if I crank the treble way up I can hear some of the noise as well, just a bit more prevalent with these pickups, when facing my computer.

I will check the wiring, so the bare wire should be soldered to the back of the volume pot? They're both wired via a 500k blend pot, so I'd assume they both should be wired to that then correct?
__________________
Clement Bass Member #100
Clement #255; Clement #274; Clement #318
  #333  
Old 01-06-2013, 12:50 PM
MysticMichael's Avatar
Hip No Ties
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New York, NY
Send a message via ICQ to MysticMichael Send a message via AIM to MysticMichael
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Lash View Post
A pair of wide aperature ND3's (neck and bridge set) in chrome Thunderbird covers. Very high expectations for these.
You won't be disappointed...

That's exactly what I've got in my pair of Carvin Icon fives (minus the chrome Thunderbird covers), and I love 'em! For a set of modern soapbars, they are PHAT! Warm, smooth and very deep, yet crystal clear, with highs that are just the right amount of "crisp".

MM
__________________
"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is: Infinite.

- William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell
  #334  
Old 01-06-2013, 08:26 PM
tylerwylie's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Champaign, IL
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGD Lutherie View Post
It should be connected to ground. Usually it's connected along with the green wire on the pickup to the volume pot's back that the pickup is wired to.

Also be aware that some types of noise, like sitting very close to digital gear (like my digital mixer) almost always induces some noise into the pickups or other wiring in the bass. Light dimmers too. That stuff is just really hard to block.

But the pickups should be very quiet.

You don't live near a radio antenna do you?
Looks like it might be grounded, so many wires hard to tell.





__________________
Clement Bass Member #100
Clement #255; Clement #274; Clement #318
  #335  
Old 01-06-2013, 08:54 PM
SGD Lutherie's Avatar
Registered User

Owner, SGD Music Products
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Send a message via AIM to SGD Lutherie Send a message via Yahoo to SGD Lutherie
Supporting Member
It's hard to tell, since he seemed to have spliced those green wires on the end of the pickup cables. I can't actually see the bare wire at all.

Ironically he's using star grounding, and yet, you are picking up radio. (big debate about that in another thread where someone swore that would solve all noise problems ).

Two questions, does it happen everywhere, or just in one location, and how bad is it?

I'm not sure what to tell you, since I can't examine the ends of the pickup cables. It's very possible they were not wired up correctly. I can't see any of the 5 wires from the pickups to even see how they were wired. Did he do them in series?

I always get nervous when techs start splicing pickup wires. There was more than enough cable on the pickups where that wasn't needed. If it was done for the sake of star grounding, it clearly didn't work well.

And sometimes they have crazy ideas, like this set of EMGs someone installed. He decided they would work better with no power! Then the owner had to pay me to fix it.

__________________
SGD Lutherie Hand crafted pickups and electronics.

SGD Lutherie on: MySpace YouTube Facebook

Ibanez Club #389 | Hartke Club #302 | Team Trace Elliot #185 | New Jersey Bassist Club #154
  #336  
Old 01-06-2013, 08:57 PM
tylerwylie's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Champaign, IL
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGD Lutherie View Post
It's hard to tell, since he seemed to have spliced those green wires on the end of the pickup cables. I can't actually see the bare wire at all.

Ironically he's using star grounding, and yet, you are picking up radio. (big debate about that in another thread where someone swore that would solve all noise problems ).

Two questions, does it happen everywhere, or just in one location, and how bad is it?

I'm not sure what to tell you, since I can't examine the ends of the pickup cables. It's very possible they were not wired up correctly. I can't see any of the 5 wires from the pickups to even see how they were wired. Did he do them in series?

I always get nervous when techs start splicing pickup wires. There was more than enough cable on the pickups where that wasn't needed. If it was done for the sake of star grounding, it clearly didn't work well.

And sometimes they have crazy ideas, like this set of EMGs someone installed. He decided they would work better with no power!

Well it only happens at my PC, however it's still just a bit noisier than my EMG's and Barts, but not noisy anywhere else. In fact, I can turn my chair 35 degrees to the left and the noise goes away, it's just noisy when I'm here where others aren't.
__________________
Clement Bass Member #100
Clement #255; Clement #274; Clement #318
  #337  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:09 PM
tylerwylie's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Champaign, IL
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGD Lutherie View Post
It's hard to tell, since he seemed to have spliced those green wires on the end of the pickup cables. I can't actually see the bare wire at all.

Ironically he's using star grounding, and yet, you are picking up radio. (big debate about that in another thread where someone swore that would solve all noise problems ).

Two questions, does it happen everywhere, or just in one location, and how bad is it?

I'm not sure what to tell you, since I can't examine the ends of the pickup cables. It's very possible they were not wired up correctly. I can't see any of the 5 wires from the pickups to even see how they were wired. Did he do them in series?

I always get nervous when techs start splicing pickup wires. There was more than enough cable on the pickups where that wasn't needed. If it was done for the sake of star grounding, it clearly didn't work well.

And sometimes they have crazy ideas, like this set of EMGs someone installed. He decided they would work better with no power!

Well it only happens at my PC, however it's still just a bit noisier than my EMG's and Barts, but not noisy anywhere else. In fact, I can turn my chair 35 degrees to the left and the noise goes away, it's just noisy when I'm here where others aren't.
__________________
Clement Bass Member #100
Clement #255; Clement #274; Clement #318
  #338  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:16 PM
SGD Lutherie's Avatar
Registered User

Owner, SGD Music Products
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Send a message via AIM to SGD Lutherie Send a message via Yahoo to SGD Lutherie
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerwylie View Post
Well it only happens at my PC, however it's still just a bit noisier than my EMG's and Barts, but not noisy anywhere else. In fact, I can turn my chair 35 degrees to the left and the noise goes away, it's just noisy when I'm here where others aren't.
Right, but the others are not in that bass with that wiring.
__________________
SGD Lutherie Hand crafted pickups and electronics.

SGD Lutherie on: MySpace YouTube Facebook

Ibanez Club #389 | Hartke Club #302 | Team Trace Elliot #185 | New Jersey Bassist Club #154
  #339  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 PM
tylerwylie's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Champaign, IL
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGD Lutherie View Post
It's hard to tell, since he seemed to have spliced those green wires on the end of the pickup cables. I can't actually see the bare wire at all.

Ironically he's using star grounding, and yet, you are picking up radio. (big debate about that in another thread where someone swore that would solve all noise problems ).

Two questions, does it happen everywhere, or just in one location, and how bad is it?

I'm not sure what to tell you, since I can't examine the ends of the pickup cables. It's very possible they were not wired up correctly. I can't see any of the 5 wires from the pickups to even see how they were wired. Did he do them in series?

I always get nervous when techs start splicing pickup wires. There was more than enough cable on the pickups where that wasn't needed. If it was done for the sake of star grounding, it clearly didn't work well.

And sometimes they have crazy ideas, like this set of EMGs someone installed. He decided they would work better with no power! Then the owner had to pay me to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGD Lutherie View Post
Right, but the others are not in that bass with that wiring.
Correct. Hard to tell, is there anything else I can do to help with the noise? I don't see the bare wire at all coming into the cavity
__________________
Clement Bass Member #100
Clement #255; Clement #274; Clement #318
  #340  
Old 01-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southwestern Michigan
I'd expect a neater job of wiring if I was paying a professional for it.Just as a commercial/industrial electrician (not an instrument tech) that looks very sloppy to me.
__________________
Because......I ams a tones chaser!! Skwisgaar Skwigelf
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Visit TalkBass on Facebook   Download our iOS app   Download our Android app

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:56 PM.




2012 Talk Music Group Inc. All rights reserved.
Play guitar too? Visit TalkGuitar.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.