Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Pickups & Electronics [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-08-2013, 10:59 AM
So FOS my eyes are brown

Supporting Member
Bart NTBTG-918 Install Questions

Hey folks...

I'm installing a Bartolini NTBTG-918 in a Fender Deluxe Jazz and I only have 3 knobs but need to fill 4 holes in the control plate. Since Bart has diagrams on their site for these options, I can do either an active/passive switch, or a 3 position mid switch and it's all laid out for me.

My big question is, if I add the active/passive option, will I also need another pot for passive tone? Since the toggle is of the mini variety, it would be easy enough to put a passive pot in the jack hole and drill another hole for the A/P toggle. While the Bart site has a diagram for the A/P toggle, it makes no mention of a passive tone pot, but most other pre's I've looked at with an A/P option include a passive tone pot.

Second, the 3 position mid switch calls for a DPTT on on on toggle switch. I can get one, but I have to order it and they are anywhere from $13 to $25. I can get a DPDT on off on switch locally for around $8. Would the DPDT switch work? It looks the same on the outside as the DPTT, but I'm clueless about the difference(s) inside.

Last of all, could I just put in a simple on/off toggle in the jack position? A simple (switched) break in the hot wire from the battery to the pre so I didn't have to unplug to kill power to the preamp?

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions, experiences, etc., on this. They are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:34 AM

Supporting Member
The active/passive switch is normally a push/pull on the volume knob.

What are the controls on the preamp? You should have at least 4 already...vol, blend, bass, treble.

And no, you cannot substitute an on/off/on switch for an on/on/on and have it work the same way.
Fuzzrocious Club #194
Brubaker Brute Squad #18
Spector Club #224 (USA NS-5MM, NS-2J)
Old 12-08-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhm555 View Post
the 3 position mid switch calls for a DPTT on on on toggle switch. I can get one, but I have to order it and they are anywhere from $13 to $25. I can get a DPDT on off on switch locally for around $8. Would the DPDT switch work? It looks the same on the outside as the DPTT, but I'm clueless about the difference(s) inside.

http://www.allparts.com/EP-4180-010-...ch_p_1386.html
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pro...le-Chrome.html
http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/e...niswitches.htm
http://www.guitarnucleus.com/gnstore...#mini-switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhm555 View Post
...could I just put in a simple on/off toggle in the jack position? A simple (switched) break in the hot wire from the battery to the pre so I didn't have to unplug to kill power to the preamp?
John East 2-Band MMSR preamp for my NRTB5
Old 12-08-2013, 06:19 PM
So FOS my eyes are brown

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbongo View Post
The active/passive switch is normally a push/pull on the volume knob.

What are the controls on the preamp? You should have at least 4 already...vol, blend, bass, treble.

And no, you cannot substitute an on/off/on switch for an on/on/on and have it work the same way.
The kit came with a vol, blend, and a stacked bass/treble pot. The deluxe J has 4 knobs and a jack in the edge of the body instead of in the control plate so I either have an empty hole in the control plate, get an old 2 knob plate, or put the jack in the control plate and have a non functioning jack in the edge, or an ugly hole with nothing in it.

If I wind up ordering I could get a couple of tone pots to use instead of the stack that came with the kit, but I'd really rather have a passive/active option if it was not any more involved than adding the switch.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:15 PM
So FOS my eyes are brown

Supporting Member
hey folks...sorry to revive this, but I've been busy occupied by things other than piddling with basses for a while. We are in the process of being iced in so since I know I'm gonna be stuck in the morning I figured it would be a good time to get the pre soldered up. A while back I asked about the type of toggle I needed for the A/P diagram from Bartolini and someone (line6man I believe) put up an alternate diagram for the same toggle. I decided to use the alternate and while sorting out the wires tonight I realized it does not include any connection for the blend pot in my control set. Without the a/p switch the yellow wire from the pre (input) would connect to the blend pot and with the bart a/p switch diagram it shows the pre input and blend control on the switch, but on the alternate there is no blend connection shown.

Here's a very simple paint rendition of the two diagrams to better show what I'm talking about.

How do I use the alternate switch wiring and get my blend pot back in the control chain?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bart sw compare (2).png
Views:	12
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	393428  

Last edited by fhm555 : 02-12-2014 at 08:36 PM.