Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Pickups & Electronics [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 01-17-2013, 05:40 AM

Well my question is answered in part or all I'm sure.
It's just going to take a lot of experimentation with different valued capacitors wired in series at the end of the hot leading to the output of the bass - I think...

Thanks folks, and sorry I'm only technically proficient enough to be dangerous with the questions...

Last edited by Jeremy5000 : 01-17-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:31 PM
Supportive Fender

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy5000 View Post
So when recording, (and in rare instances where I get behind a live console), I usually like to exclude some low frequency from the bass guitar to "tighten up" the kick drum.

So I just want to try simplify the all around control of bass frequencies by having a bass that cuts the lows.
ehh, i don't see it.

passive bass rolloff on the instrument usually just neuters the thing. also, there's phase-shift weirdness involved that might not translate so well onto the recording.

still, next time you're in a music store, try out a G&L bass; set it to passive, and check out the last knob (IIRC). it's a passive bass-cut, using i believe a .0047μF cap on a 1MΩ pot to block lows when turned down.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Send a message via Skype™ to two fingers
GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassamatic View Post
Capacitors do not "cut low frequencies" what they do is to block DC and pass frequencies above a certain point. The result depends on how theyu are used.

If they are in series with the audio - the lowest frequencies cannot get though, cutting the lows.

If they are in parallel with the audio (like a bass tone control) the send the high frequencies to ground, cutting the highs.

The cutoff or rolloff frequency depends on the size (value) of the cap. The bigger the value, the lower the frequency it will pass.

This frequency also depends on the resistance and impedance of the circuit that it is used in. SO - in a guitar tone control with a pickup of impedance of perhaps 10K Ohms, it will have one result. If the impedance is different, the frequency will also be different, so it is not as simple as looking it up in a chart, although it is easily calculated by any competent tech or engineer. (That's why we go to school!)

(edit) Good advice Line6man - just try different caps and see what happens!
Well stated without getting too far into the weeds. OP, caps are cheap. Values on everything in a bass tone circuit are all pretty low. It would be pretty hard to fry something without using a welder (exaggeration but you get the point). So, as stated before, try some things.