Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Pickups & Electronics [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 02-09-2011, 03:11 PM

Lace guitar pickups on bass guitars

So I just became aware of these guys, Birdsong Guitars:

They apparently make boutique bass guitars, and look at the pickups on that thing. That looks like a Lace Drop and Gain humbucker and a Lace Gold Sensor! On a $1,850 bass!

This just confirms what my ears have told me for a few years, that Lace Sensor guitar pickups make wonderful bass pickups. I have had a red one on my Bronco Bass for a while now, and I love, love, love the tone. They have no pole-pieces, so the string spacing is not an issue, and they have a natural compression going on which perfectly sweetens the bass guitar tone without need for a compressor pedal or anything like that. It's especially a treat for picked tone.

If anybody has a spare $210 to spend, I highly suggest buying a Lace Sensor and a Bronco Bass to install it in. You won't be disappointed.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:07 PM

Here's another Lace guitar pickup applied to a bass. I installed it when the Alumitones first came out:

Old 02-09-2011, 05:00 PM

How's that sound? Got any samples?

I really like that idea. Are the Tele-bass/original P-bass single coil routes the same as guitar routes?
Old 04-22-2012, 07:45 PM

Hey honeyiscool, how're you doing?
I'm looking foward to buying a Bronco and modding it.

Have you by any chance tried (or heard) other versions of Lace Sensors?

I've been checking Lace's website and got surprised by the fact that all the Laces have a lower peak frequency than any of their bass pickups.

I heard two samples from you (found them somewhere, in some forum, don't remember...you're a very good player and the band is cool also!), and liked the tone of your Bronco a lot. I know it's a Red Lace, and it's great, but I can't help but keep thinking about what would the "Duallies" sound like...or even this "Drop N Gain".

Can't find any of these parts - or even the Bronco - here in Brazil.
Gonna have to wait until my trip to USA next year to get the bass and all the parts, put everything together and bring the hotrodded thing like it were a stock Bronco...a cheap bass that won't raise customs' attention so I do not need to pay lots of taxes.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:07 PM

Lace questions

Directed to honeyiscool, but would appreciate an answer from anyone who knows. I purchased a used bronco bass, and just happened to have a red lace sensor that I was going to sell.(glad I didn't). My question is, do I need to, or is it preferable to change pot or cap values. Any input appreciated. Thanks in advance.