yeah, well, it sounds GREAT, of course. Elsewise I wouldn't have layed out the dough, ray, mee. *hehe* Acoustically it sounds beautiful.
The issue I'm dealing with is not tone. It's control.
The circuit doesn't DO what it's supposed to do.
The way this thing was wired, you had to turn the volume pots anti-clockwise to increase the volume and turn them clockwise to decrease the volume. Exactly the opposite of normal....and same for the tone pot too.
What's more, whoever did this handy work failed to notice that the pickups have 3 wires to connect and only connected two, leaving the black wire on the neck taped up, unconnected to anything.
The result was an unbalanced circuit with a very lop-sided relationship between the pups. To get a proper sound, you had to turn one pot down about one quarter. With both vol. pots wide open, the signal faded and the tone went in the crapper.
Did I mention that not one pot matched. No consecutive date codes. (I still don't REALLY know what year this instrument was made... guessing 1993). One pot was the wrong value at 500K and the neck pup vol pot was a WD branded cheapo that wouldn't even give a proper reading.
I have both pickups and all the circuitry removed now. I had to do surgery on the neck pickup because the previous owner clipped the leads off too short to reach the pot. That's what all that cheap hookup wire is about. No stranded wire. No shielding. No dress. Just gobs and gobs of solid copper hookup wire... topped off with a cheap Asian jack (which I tossed immediatly)
Please note the wonderful BURN marks around the edge of the cavity. I'm thinkin' this genius probably was using an old wood-burning kit for a soldering iron and I can't even find adjectives for the sub-quality of the stuff posing as solder.
See the orange shrink tube ? I did that just to make the bass playable... those connections were just twisted together. (don't wanna use up too much of that grade Z solder).
IN OTHER NEWS: I finally found out about the 250K-S tone pot. Evidently Peavey was fond of a circuit called 'Rotary Splitter' for the tone pot.
I incorrectly assumed that this was a special pot with an unusual taper or something to that effect.... but NO... it's just a normal garden variety 250K audio taper pot with an unusual way of wiring it up.
Sooooooooo..... I'm ordering 3 brand new CTS 250K-A pots and a handful of tone caps, first thing Monday morning.
I'm more confident now, about this project.
Here's a picture of the bass before I yanked the pups. It's no thing of beauty.... Yet.