Well, I did it. I'll show what I found for anyone that wants to attempt this.
This is what I saw when I flipped it over. Notice all of the hot glue.
Here's a close up.
Remove this foam thing. It's got a couple springs imbedded in it. It has a sticky substance and came off like a piece of tape.
Remove the middle screws from each coil assembly, or whatever they're called. These screws mount these assemblies to the cover.
I used a hair dryer to soften the hot glue and cut it out of there. Caution: be careful during the removal of the glue. There are small wires connecting both assemblies that are embedded in the glue. This process took a good hour and required a steady hand.
Here's a pic of the original cover. Notice the screw mounts for the coil assemblies.
Here's a pic of the old style cover. I bought a two pack off of ebay for $10 shipped.
I will probably hot glue the assemblies to the cover in the future. They seem to require a solid mounting to the cover due to the foam/ spring assembly, unlike the old style spring system. I need to find a new pickguard due to the gap next to the pickup. I've looked at some on the internet and I'm not sure if an ernie ball stingray pickguard will work. Some state that they won't fit the ray 34. Maybe the screw holes don't line up or something. I'll roll the dice and find a cheap one and see what happens. I may have to rout out my own somehow. I'll keep ya posted after I try it.