Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Pickups & Electronics [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-20-2012, 08:03 AM

SR "500 Series"

Now I noticed this over the years. I have one its a Custom Sr535. Basically reminds me of a blue and white stripped Dodge Viper from when I was a kid.

Now heres that Q. Mine is Korean. Not sure where that stands to compare to most. But we got the 5 knobs.

Now I see a lot of them now adays with only 4 knobs. Reminds me of the Warwick Rockbass controls basically.

So whats differnt? Mines got Bart Mk1's. Are the models just based on preference? or is it cost effective? The ones with the 4 knobs honestly reminds me of the 300-400 series..

So I wonder from the players stand point; those of you have different SR's. Whats the Dif? lol Aside from being able to have more sounds at your exposure.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:04 AM

and I disliked my 300 when I had it. Long Prior before they started putting "cap" pick ups in them. I beleive they were Ibanez when I had that 300.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyjon View Post
Now I noticed this over the years. I have one its a Custom Sr535. Basically reminds me of a blue and white stripped Dodge Viper from when I was a kid.

Now heres that Q. Mine is Korean. Not sure where that stands to compare to most. But we got the 5 knobs.

Now I see a lot of them now adays with only 4 knobs. Reminds me of the Warwick Rockbass controls basically.

So whats differnt? Mines got Bart Mk1's. Are the models just based on preference? or is it cost effective? The ones with the 4 knobs honestly reminds me of the 300-400 series..

So I wonder from the players stand point; those of you have different SR's. Whats the Dif? lol Aside from being able to have more sounds at your exposure.
I've got a SR206 and a SR506. Both have 4 knobs (though i noticed that these days SR506s seem to all come with 5 knobs.

You answered your own question. The difference is the 5 knob jobbies have a mid EQ control. And from a player's viewpoint the main effect is to change your tone. The usual bass/treble knobs obviously do change your tone, but from my experience with my Fender Jazz deluxe V those mostly let you dial in the room and the overall sound you want. But when you are playing and you want to tilt your tone this way and that it is the mid control that does the job. Basically it's the mid control that gets the work. Must be true, I already wore one out on my Fender and had to replace it.

I WISH my SR's had a mid control, but alas, they don't. So if I want to deal with that sort of thing it has to be done on the amp.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:57 AM

Right on! Thanks for the input!