Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Double Bass Forums > Orchestral Technique [DB]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Orchestral Technique [DB] Exploring technique on the "classical" double bass, from Beethoven to Bottesini


Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Christmas Oratorio sight-reading

Oh, hi!

Apparently, I'm sightreading BWV 248(aka. The Christmas Oratorio) saturday(for funsies, no public performance). Seeing as it's still nice to be(kind of) prepared - is there anything in the bass part one ought to be aware of or check out beforehand?

For those wondering, the intention is to go through the whole thing - all six cantatas.
  #2  
Old 12-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
Oh, hi!



Apparently, I'm sightreading BWV 248(aka. The Christmas Oratorio) saturday(for funsies, no public performance). Seeing as it's still nice to be(kind of) prepared - is there anything in the bass part one ought to be aware of or check out beforehand?



For those wondering, the intention is to go through the whole thing - all six cantatas.

You can most likely get the continuo part from IMSLP and look over it there. You may not even have to print it out, but you'll know what you're in for. I've never met a Bach part I didn't prefer to spend _some_ time on...
__________________
The Next Level Bassist - a free online journal for double bass players - nextlevelbassist.com
  #3  
Old 12-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbass926 View Post
You can most likely get the continuo part from IMSLP and look over it there. You may not even have to print it out, but you'll know what you're in for. I've never met a Bach part I didn't prefer to spend _some_ time on...
I have the part - the question was more whether there's something specific I should figure out. Having skimmed the part, the answer so far seems to be "everything"
  #4  
Old 12-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: oslo Norway
just be aware that although there is a bass part for each number/section, the bass does not always play. For example ther is a flute solo mvt with cello pizz acc. some condutors want the bass some doŽnt.
Most of the time the bass is playing exactly as the cello but there are a few where you will sit out depending on the singers and the conductor.
Otherwise it is pretty straight forward.

I play this piece EVERY year in its entirety.

Have fun and good luck.
  #5  
Old 12-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sydney Australia
Have a very good sleep beforehand, take your vitamins, have a pocketful of energy food, clean your glasses well, sit to play, etc....

Seriously though, even the excerpt numbers that I played recently became a test of physical endurance because I often played constantly for two pages before going back (Da Capo al Fine). Are you the only bass player? Ask the conductor about not playing when one cello is sufficient to accompany the female (and male?) soloists in recitatives or in arias where they enter after the Tutti orchestra introductions. Depending on your edition you might see Vcl. above the stave then later +D.B. + Bsn (bassoon).

Good luck, enjoy and all the best for 2014!!

DP
  #6  
Old 12-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
I have the part - the question was more whether there's something specific I should figure out. Having skimmed the part, the answer so far seems to be "everything"
Seems to be the right answer.
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Visit TalkBass on Facebook   Download our iOS app   Download our Android app

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:06 PM.




© 2012 Talk Music Group Inc. All rights reserved.
Play guitar too? Visit TalkGuitar.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.