I have been building a bass, with as a starting point a cheap second hand stagg jazz bass. Step by step I've replaced parts untill the point where only the bridge, the control plate and the string tree are original.
With each step I made a recording under comparable circumstances. I've edited several of those recordings after one antoher, just to see wich step has the biggest impact on tone. The recordings were done with both pickups on, through a Fedeck hpf as buffering amp into my Zoom h2. Not the prettiest way to record, but it allowed me to control the circumstances. Afterwards I normalised all recordings in audacity. .
This experiment in no way offers empirical proof for any tone debate. It is anacdotal evidence at best, but anecdotal evidence is also evidence, you just have to know how to treat it. I think it does offer some interesting insights.
Here's the file, for anyone who wants to listen through 6 cycles of a sloppy dumbed down version of the chicken: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ontw%20mp3.mp3
I'll share my conclusions in my next post.