Claro Walnut 5 String
HI All! I wanted to share a new build I've been working on. I've been working on it here and there for a few weeks but now its the only thing I'm working on so I hope to share some of the progress.
The Claro Walnut drop top
5 string 35" scale double cutaway
21 frets (Gold Evo medium fret wire)
Claro Walnut top
Swamp Ash Body
Orange and White veneer
Ash/Wenge/Ash laminated neck
Wenge Fretboard with compound radius
Carbon Fiber rods
Double action truss rod
Black Hipshot Ultralight tuners
Black Hipshot Brass A Style bridge
Bartolini XXM55C pickups(quad coil, deep tone)
Audere Pro Z 4 band preamp
Dunlop flush mount strap locks
Finish is yet to be determined
The scarf joint glue up (Mr. Drake's toothpick trick making an appearance)
More toothpicks. They may not be entirely necessary but I wanted to ensure that it wouldn't slip under pressure.
Body in the clamps.
My new(ish) logo will be affixed some way to the headstock. I may continue to use waterslide decals because I liked the result on the last build.
Thanks for watching!
BEAUTIFUL top, man. Good luck!
Thanks JYBass. It should look nice with the veneers and swamp ash. I considered a maple fboard but thought wenge would better suit this build.
Here's the neck out of the clamps along with the veneer. The ash veneer I planed down to about an 1/8th. The orange veneers with go between the ash and the neck and another layer under the walnut.
The truss rod access on this neck is at the heel end. There will also be a cover made of the walnut top. I routed the ash and orange veneers off the end of the neck to accommodate the cover.
A bit more progress today. After cutting the headstock shape and bass side of the neck on the bandsaw I used a straight piece of MDF to route the neck profile. I left the treble side uncut so I could use the square side of it for stability when drilling the side markers.
Then installed the MOP side dots with CA.
With the treble side still not trimmed I drew on the headstock profile and cut it on the bandsaw.
The bottom side was then cut and routed in the same manner as the top of the neck.
Now to clean up the headstock shape with a spindle sander and drill the holes for tuners. Then radius the FB,fret, and carve the neck profile.
Very nice! Looking good an love that top. Going to look amazing when you put some finish on it. :bassist:
Here's the body after rough cutting it with the bandsaw.
After routing the profile with a template and pattern bit.
Wetted with some denatured alcohol to see how the grain may look with finish.
Very cool, Subd
Hi SaintMez, great looking build, I guess we missed the veneer going under the fretboard, but some questions regarding this?
I assume the FB is about 1/4" and if the ash and veneer is just over 1/8" does this meen you have to carve the neck base that much thinner, if so I thought the truss rod actioned against the FB as in this case it is thicker does this cause issues with neck adjustments, and how thick is the remainder of the neck profile in comparison to the Truss rod depth.
Dont get me wrong I love this look and may want to replicate on my builds just wondering about the mechanics of the neck and truss rod?
Scrub that I can see that you have channeled the FB and veneers to accomodate the truss rod, nice work.
Some progress from the last couple of days.
The neck pocket has been routed and the pickup cavities. I used a drill press and Forstner bit to hog out most of the pickup area before routing.
Next I drilled pilot holes for the neck screws and 5/8 inch holes for the screw bushings. The front holes are deeper to accommodate contouring the heel. Then placed the neck and drilled the holes for the neck screws.
Also made a battery box cover template with scrap MDF.
I did the round over on the edges near the input jack. I'm using an electro socket on this build and wanted to get that done before drilling the hole for the jack. This was to avoid the bearing on the round over bit falling into the hole as I passed by.
Thanks for watching!
The figuring in that top looks somewhat reminiscent of a certain anatomical feature.
Maybe it's just me...
Regardless, looking pretty sweet so far. Liking the veneers especially.
Subbed. You had me at "claro walnut". :)
Thank you guys.
Wraub - haha, I hadn't noticed that, but I think you may be right. I don't think ill be able to un-see that now...time to route the walnut top off and start over.
I don't know man...when I play a bass that has that kind of figure in the wood, I make a conscious effort to play fingerstyle right over the sweet spot.
Strictly talking about tone here, folks.
Personally, I think removing that top would be just plain wrong.
Roundover and cavity covers are done as of today. Have to do the contours front and back and decide how to configure the preamp. I wanted to do that before I routed the cavity but couldn't make up my mind.
|All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:23 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.