Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Luthier's Corner
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Luthier's Corner Discussion on instrument building, repair, and materials.

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-20-2012, 10:19 AM

musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splods View Post
I was talking to you about it on the headless Ric build.
oh - right... well, post pics when it's done

http://gildaxe.com
Old 12-20-2012, 10:50 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
Supersonics in the mail... pics soon!

Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 AM

GOLD Supporting Member

Old 12-23-2012, 07:07 PM

GOLD Supporting Member

Old 12-23-2012, 08:40 PM

Oh just get on with it!

I miss the old "flipoff" smilies that are used on other forums, if there was ever a time to break out a creative flipoff smiley, it would be when we are getting a new supersonic dangled in front of us piece by piece, at ten hour intervals! I swear I'll find a way to bring in a flipoff smiley and face the 90 day ban - I'd be happy to take one for the team here, lol...

Old 12-23-2012, 08:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to pilotjones
Supporting Member
Maybe there's a "censored" pixillated flipoff smiley somewhere...
Old 12-23-2012, 08:57 PM

GOLD Supporting Member

Old 12-23-2012, 09:45 PM

I will force that neck down your throat unless you show it right now! (/sarcasm)
Old 12-23-2012, 10:31 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
I will force that neck down your throat unless you show it right now! (/sarcasm)

I love when you talk rough baby...now whisper to me how much you love me...

Last edited by JIO : 12-23-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:21 PM

Jio confirmed for loving rough talk with teenagers under the legal age.

It looks good though, set it up, and play some notes on it for TB to hear and love.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:51 AM

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Jio confirmed for loving rough talk with teenagers under the legal age.

It looks good though, set it up, and play some notes on it for TB to hear and love.
an·thro·po·mor·phism (nthr-p-môrfzm)
n.
Attribution of human motivation, characteristics, or behavior to inanimate objects, animals, or natural phenomena. As in; a bass guitar body asking someone to whisper...

DISCLAIMER: Hopefully any and all intellectually sophisticated teenagers who read this comprehended my well-intentioned playful attempt at non-targeted humor in the same way I realized their playful non-targeted violence-referenced remark was also meant in jest. <usually indicates tongue firmly in cheek.
Regardless, I apologize for any unintended misinterpretation related to said attempts at humor and will redouble all efforts in the future to post in a responsible manor respectful of all tbr's regardless of age, sex, or if they are of a Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker, Ibanez or (your bass here) denomination.

Setting-up will happen once back from the holiday break - but until that time comes here's a few more pics. Enjoy and have a peaceful and restful Christmas w/your family and loved ones!

Last edited by JIO : 12-24-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:57 PM

Supporting Member
Jio, looks like Santa arrived early for you. What a beautiful finish -- can't wait to see it set up!
Old 12-24-2012, 01:43 PM

Superb! I love it!
Old 12-24-2012, 05:21 PM

Oh wow, she will be a killer.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:40 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
I don't have my pick-guard remnants here to play with, as this will be my last and most definitive aesthetics decision before final assembly. Keep in mind the pu's are white, the fingerboard is ebony and the bridge, tuners, strap-pegs and knobs are silver. At first I thought it would be white, but the black shielding paint looks so awesome next to the gold I'm definitely considering a blk/wht/blk lam scratch-plate.

My choices are; wht, wht/blk/wht, mint/blk/mint, brown tort/wht/blk, blk, and finally the now favored blk/wht/blk. One reason white may be ruled out right out of the gate is that the white of the guard and the white of the pu's do not match.(varying shades of white) Mint (aged/vintage white) could work because it's like a different colour, so not ruled out yet. I've ruled out pearls not because I don't like them - I do and have used them on other basses, but not this one. I don't want that kind of visual competition for the beautiful subtlety of the gold metal-flake. That's why black seems ideal, because it is a counterpoint - rich, dense - visually the opposite of the gold. A Firemist Gold Metallic finished 1970 Pontiac GTO would have black leather interior would it not?

Just for the record, I didn't paint the pu cavities w/shielding paint yet is because I want to make certain the pu's exactly rest where they need to before coating - they are a snug fit.

Here's one more pic for now. It was shot w/a flash (the others were not) and it really looks different than the others (the others are more true to the way it looks) This is what I love about metallic finishes.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:39 AM

Wow! I just came across this thread and I'm definitely sub'd. Very nice work! I love following the progress of craftsmen such as yourself.

It's a totally wacky coincidence too because I just posted a thread a couple of days ago about a control scheme question I had and to illustrate the diagram I dug up an old mock-up of an idea I had a year or two ago...

It's so nice to get an idea of what the body shape and color (roughly) would've been like in real life.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:05 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoReverb View Post
It's a totally wacky coincidence too because I just posted a thread a couple of days ago about a control scheme question I had and to illustrate the diagram I dug up an old mock-up of an idea I had a year or two ago...

It's so nice to get an idea of what the body shape and color (roughly) would've been like in real life.
Wow, very cool. Talking about coincidences, have you seen my Steinbacker fretless?Coming soon; Steinbacker fretless bass
Your illustration looks like the intersection of my two recent builds! As they say, great minds think alike! I considered the Lace pu's for this build.., do you like the way they sound?

Old 12-26-2012, 07:55 AM

Ooh, that Steinbacker is a very nice build too! I really like your solution for allowing tuner access while maintaining the original body lines. Very elegant! That finish is beautiful!

Unfortunately, aside from some audio and Youtube samples I haven't had much experience with the Alumitones. I made that mock-up very shortly after learning about their existence and, at the time, I was really intrigued by their full-range sound and the technology behind them but that's really as far as my interest in them went.

To continue the "fun coincidences" thread here (although this next one is a bit of a stretch, especially considering that the idea for it wasn't even mine) feel free to check out this mock-up I did for a fellow TBer's fretless Steinbacker idea a few years ago.

Last edited by CosmoReverb : 12-26-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Added more exact link
Old 12-26-2012, 12:06 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoReverb View Post
To continue the "fun coincidences" thread here (although this next one is a bit of a stretch, especially considering that the idea for it wasn't even mine) feel free to check out this mock-up I did for a fellow TBer's fretless Steinbacker idea a few years ago.
ideas spin round and round until someone grounds them

Old 12-27-2012, 03:55 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
So here's some options visualized: brown tort, black, parchment pearl, white pearl, white. The white looks clean, but like I said, white is probably out. Besides, it would be a lot (too much) of white. I'll only use this damaged one as a perimeter template. I had a black J pg for this test which looks good, both w/the gold and the white pu's - it's the most solid/graphic mix of all the colours. The parchment pearl is ok but I just don't think the pearls would be best, especially w/white pu's. The tort isn't half bad and would work w/wht pu's, and on top of that the light chunks/flecks are a similar tone as the gold. I have a large enough piece to cut one, and think I'll do that as a secondary choice. Could be a cool warmer mix. In the meantime I'll have to order a blk/wht/blk blank as I don't have one. So no quick fix for now.