It's been a while since I've updated this thread, but I have been making lots of saw dust. Even though I didn't want to, I've gone ahead and started on a few other basses. I figured since I have the wood on hand and the tools out/set up, I might as well go ahead and build a few extras. I'll probably take them up to the point where I have to fit the neck and then just concentrate on one.
Anyway, everything has been planed. I'd still like to find someone with a good drum sander, but I can probably use most pieces as they are if I have to.
Neck blanks and fingerboards patiently waiting for truss rods and fret slots ... I was able to pick up three Ziricote fingerboards and one ebony fingerboard so that I can finish the six neck blanks I have started. I have another blank that I can split into two, but I'm leaving that one sit for now.
Tops and backs waiting to be glued. I should be finished joining them by Wednesday if all goes well.
Tops that I have already joined.
Ash (will get a Walnut back)
Cherry (I think it's getting a Walnut back too)
Here's a shot of a Walnut top being glued. I use the same arrangement of clamps for gluing my body blanks as well.
Closer so you can see the top.
Another Ash body that has just been rough cut.
Maple Body (rough cut)
And with permission from one of TB's up and coming new talents, a pair of mini bodies (maple). When I saw Adams first Habanero build I thought this shape looked really cool. When I saw his second (his entry in the fretless 5-string competition) it really grew on me. I've had a few pieces of Chechen around for years that I didn't know what to do with because they are just too narrow to make a top on a regular sized bass. However, it turns out that they are just wide enough to fit a Habanero. Adam has graciously given me permission to use his body design for a set of twins (one fretted, one fretless).