Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Luthier's Corner
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Luthier's Corner Discussion on instrument building, repair, and materials.

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 02-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Cort bassist by obligation

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmullins View Post
The DiMarzio Will Power Neck is very similar to the Model One, but has Fenderish spacing. It's not chrome, though, which is a turn-off for me.

You might consider one of Curtis Novak's replacements - the EB-AA is a bright humbucker, and the EB-BS is a BiSonic style single-coil. Curtis recommended the BS to me for heavy rock use.

All of the above is assuming you want something in a mudbucker form factor, of course!
I saw that, but not sure that I want to drop that kind of dough. Nor would I know if I'd enjoy that pickup.

I talked to DiMarzio, they will not make me one w/o the black finish.

I think I will wait on any further pickup changes until I see how my foam 3D model looks.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:04 PM

If you're using a MIM bridge, maybe consider a threaded saddle one instead. Pretty much the same bridge w/ adjustable string spacing.
Just a thought...

wraub
Old 02-06-2013, 06:43 PM

Supporting Member
Gonna throw this out there while I'm thinking about it, ....but an Ibanez Srx pup kills on rock tone..pole pieces are huge, so you wouldn't have to worry about them lining up. It is black, but you know how to paint

While I'm wasting your time talking about Ibanez...old style ATK pups...I always thought an ATK looked like something Gene would play..They have a blade instead of pole pieces so no issues lining up, and all kinds of wiring options...again....SPRAY. PAINT.

I imagine a Stingray pup would work too....

Just popping in to frustrate you with more possibilities, lol.
ATK Club Member #123. Ibanez Club Member #521. SRX Club Member #6
Old 02-06-2013, 06:45 PM

Supporting Member
Frustrating me is your specialty!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:02 PM

Supporting Member
Just doing my job, just doing my job,lol.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:33 PM

Supporting Member
Once I cut out and paint a full sized foam copy, I will decide how to address the pickup issue
Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 PM

Supporting Member
Lets say I go mudbucker. I have 5 choices:
Artek?
Stock Epi or Gibson
Gotoh
DiMarzio Model One
Curtis Novak
Am I missing any?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Registered 8er

Supporting Member
I have heard it said (but do not have first-hand knowledge) that the stock Epi mudbucker is the same as the Artec. This will sound like a traditional mudbucker.

I have heard it said (but do not have first-hand knowledge) that the current stock Gibson is not a mudbucker at all, but a "TB Plus" under a large chrome cover. This is a high-output, aggressive, ceramic humbucker that is fitted to the current Thunderbird. This will sound not at all like a traditional mudbucker, but is an excellent hard rock pickup.

Remember, it's only a true mudbucker if it's a sidewinder that measures about 30kohms.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:31 PM

Hi.

My vote would go for the Model One.

Quote:
I have heard it said (but do not have first-hand knowledge) that the stock Epi mudbucker is the same as the Artec. This will sound like a traditional mudbucker.
???

Really?

The Epi MB is IIRC ~1.2K and the Gotoh is.

I have not heard a real mudbucker in person, but if the Model One is as good representation of the original as they say it is, those two (three if the Artec is the same) sound nothing like the mudbucker.

Quote:
Remember, it's only a true mudbucker if it's a sidewinder that measures about 30kohms.
Yes.

But short of scoring a vintage one, there's very little chance of bumping into one.

Regards
Sam
Old 02-07-2013, 05:49 AM
Registered 8er

Supporting Member
The DiMarzio is nothing like a real mudbucker, save for the size. The DiMarzio is a traditional side-by-side humbucker (not a sidewinder) that measures 11.31k (according to their website), far lower than the 30k of a true mudbucker.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:59 AM

Supporting Member
I think I'm going to do the chrome mudbucker. It really lends itself to the look of the bass. I saw this: thoughts?
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=60763074293
Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 AM

Supporting Member
Honestly, since you will be performing with this...I would stick with the EMG humbucker. If something goes wrong on stage and you need to swap to the Punisher, it will be smooth sailing...in other words...no on-stage EQ panic...Plus you know Gene approves EMGs, lol.
From my point of view, you aren't trying to build a museum piece replica of the Lobue, but a Lobue tribute that will improve the KISS experience for your audience members, no? This is destined to swing above the dragon boots and be bled on...I don't think a humming, booming hard to EQ with the rest of your gear pup will help anyone...stick with the EMG, and try not to create too many hard-to-clean spots...oh yeah, blood cleans off the EMGs much easier than it does in an EB-O (with those little screws and such)
Old 02-07-2013, 07:41 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by THand View Post
Honestly, since you will be performing with this...I would stick with the EMG humbucker. If something goes wrong on stage and you need to swap to the Punisher, it will be smooth sailing...in other words...no on-stage EQ panic...Plus you know Gene approves EMGs, lol.
From my point of view, you aren't trying to build a museum piece replica of the Lobue, but a Lobue tribute that will improve the KISS experience for your audience members, no? This is destined to swing above the dragon boots and be bled on...I don't think a humming, booming hard to EQ with the rest of your gear pup will help anyone...stick with the EMG, and try not to create too many hard-to-clean spots...oh yeah, blood cleans off the EMGs much easier than it does in an EB-O (with those little screws and such)
I will think about it. The beauty of this bass is that it has a pick guard that goes right over the pickup area.

I don't like a pickup? Swapping is easily resolved by some pickguard material and 2 hours of labor.

Cleaning blood off a bass is the easy part. Cleaning blood off of a Love Gun suit... (puts gun in mouth)
Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 AM

Supporting Member
I just want to say that I appreciate all the feedback, and help I've been offered for this build. I have to say that I think TB is one of last bastions of human decency.

You guys are class acts!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 AM

Head of design and sales, MT Case Co.

I would hunt down a NEW Gibson mudbucker. The ones they use on the SG reissue and Midtown basses are actually a version of their TB+ pickup under a big chrome mudbucker cover. TB+ are an all time favorite of mine. They come up on ebay occasionally.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 AM

Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O

Send a message via Yahoo to Musiclogic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassgod76 View Post
I just want to say that I appreciate all the feedback, and help I've been offered for this build. I have to say that I think TB is one of last bastions of human decency.

You guys are class acts!
The last bastions of human decency? Have you stopped by the OT, Misc, or TB Lounge? Not to mention any thread asking for opinions of others? LMAO

Just kidding man. Have fun with it, and as usual, another unusual repro project. Very cool.

Sounding off from my time at Gibson, I would say stay looking at Ebay and TB Accessories, Mudbuckers show up frequently, and you could always shell an EMG MM style under a Mudbucker cover with some screws epoxied to the cover ....just an idea.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:01 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Cleaning blood off a bass is the easy part. Cleaning blood off of a Love Gun suit... (puts gun in mouth)
I'm tempted to sig that, lol!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:04 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclogic View Post
The last bastions of human decency? Have you stopped by the OT, Misc, or TB Lounge? Not to mention any thread asking for opinions of others? LMAO

Just kidding man. Have fun with it, and as usual, another unusual repro project. Very cool.

Sounding off from my time at Gibson, I would say stay looking at Ebay and TB Accessories, Mudbuckers show up frequently, and you could always shell an EMG MM style under a Mudbucker cover with some screws epoxied to the cover ....just an idea.
That is a slick-ass idea.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:09 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclogic View Post
Funny you mention that. I have made a bunch of friends doing these crazy builds/mods. Just real nice folks on here.

There are two TB'ers who literally make it their mission in life to troll and "share" their opinion. Luckily they haven't visited this thread yet. I hope it stays that way.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:14 AM

Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O

Send a message via Yahoo to Musiclogic
Quote:
Funny you mention that. I have made a bunch of friends doing these crazy builds/mods. Just real nice folks on here.

There are two TB'ers who literally make it their mission in life to troll and "share" their opinion. Luckily they haven't visited this thread yet. I hope it stays that way.
A lot more than 2, but there are some more prevalent than others....