Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Luthier's Corner
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Luthier's Corner Discussion on instrument building, repair, and materials.

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 02-08-2008, 10:56 PM

Gloss to Satin, on an SX neck

Hey guys, i picked up an SX bass awhile ago just as a junker to keep around the dorm room and so far its been great for the $. The neck has always bugged me though. The gloss finish on the back of the neck just feels too sticky--its like too glossy, and my hand doesnt slide well on it. I want to change this, and with it being an SX im not worried about messin it up so i figure its worth a try. Whats the best way to do it?

Could i just work on it with some kind of sandpaper to take the gloss off? If this will work, what type of sandpaper will be best? Will I have to refinish it with like a satin finish to seal it??
Does anyone have any input? thanks!
Old 02-09-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooski View Post
Hey guys, i picked up an SX bass awhile ago just as a junker to keep around the dorm room and so far its been great for the $. The neck has always bugged me though. The gloss finish on the back of the neck just feels too sticky--its like too glossy, and my hand doesnt slide well on it. I want to change this, and with it being an SX im not worried about messin it up so i figure its worth a try. Whats the best way to do it?

Could i just work on it with some kind of sandpaper to take the gloss off? If this will work, what type of sandpaper will be best? Will I have to refinish it with like a satin finish to seal it??
Does anyone have any input? thanks!
Well, seeing as you're not worried about screwing it up, I'd give it a try. Probably go quite a bit finer than you think you need to on the sand paper, or use very fine steel wool. Maybe even one of those 3m abrasive scrubbies (don't know what colour you would want though. most are probably too coarse)

I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I'd just grab a sheet of 1500grit sandpaper and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I guess you'll have to sand it the rest of the way, and refinish.

My bet is that it'll be fine, as long as you sand lightly with very fine paper. The finish will probably be quite thin though, so just do the minimum to take the gloss off..
Old 02-09-2008, 11:40 AM

well me thinks its worth a try. thanks arx for the input, ill see what i can do--if it turns out nice ill post somthing.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Wizardry!

Supporting Member
Steel wool, very fine steel wool, just take the shine off, if you go lightly you will only texturise it, which is what you want, you dont want to strip the protective finish.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:45 PM

Physicist

Supporting Member
I used sandpaper on my first guitar (a cheap strat) neck. Worked fine. I don't remember what grit I used though.

Asad

Buy my Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0!
Old 02-10-2008, 02:42 AM

I use the 3m scrubby thing on tru-oiled necks to give a marvellous silky smooth finish. Think its a green or a grey one - they look a bit like a pan scourer. Careful with sandpaper, its easy to put loads of tiny score marks in it.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:51 AM

Supporting Member
i've been using the steel wool trick on the back of my warwick neck to make it play faster. just rub some 00# steel wool along the grain and it takes off just the perfect amount of wood so it plays like you would never imagine!

that trick worked on my warwick which had a satin finish i do believe. now i just got rid of it and switched to a 6 string that has a maple neck with a gloss finish. the steel wool trick doesnt work AT all on my gloss finish neck. doesnt take a single thing off of it. period! i just leaves some scratch marks on the finish.

what do you have to say for that?
Old 02-10-2008, 10:20 AM

I'd suggest the equivalent of 0000 steel wool in one of the 3M pads-- they won't leave little bits of steel sticking to your pickups.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Banned

I bought an SX strat just to dink around on. They have very heavy poly on the neck. I know the bass necks also have very heavy poly finish. I wouldn't recommend doing this, but when I removed the poly on the guitar I used a dremel and alot of 120 grit paper, followed by finishing it with 800 and 1200 grit paper. Its was smooth like buttah. But took about 2 weeks.

They have way to much poly on the necks. Far too much.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flakeh View Post
I bought an SX strat just to dink around on. They have very heavy poly on the neck. I know the bass necks also have very heavy poly finish. I wouldn't recommend doing this, but when I removed the poly on the guitar I used a dremel and alot of 120 grit paper, followed by finishing it with 800 and 1200 grit paper. Its was smooth like buttah. But took about 2 weeks.

They have way to much poly on the necks. Far too much.
I don't think he's looking to strip the neck though... Just wants to matte out the finish so it's not so draggy on the fingers.

I'd have to agree with byoung that one of the 3m pads is probably the best if you can get one in a really fine grit. I don't think it much matters as long as you go wit something with a very fine, very sharp abrasive. Poly is pretty hard to sand normally anyhow.. you just want the scratches you put into it small enough that they don't look like scratches anymore.

Yeah... be wary of the whole magnet+steelwool thing if you end up using steelwool.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:08 AM

I use steel wool, 000 or 0000 if I can remove the neck. It's a pain to have to mask off the pickups. But the green or maroon abrasive pads sold as a substitute for steel wool in paint stores work too and don't shed pieces of metal. Poly is very hard and takes a bit of work to dull the finish. The pads wear out quickly.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:54 PM

sounds like steel wool might do the trick. thanks again guys for the help!
Old 02-12-2008, 12:12 AM

Make sure to let us know how it goes. And take before/after pics if you can.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:28 AM

This is all you need really. Theres not much risk at all.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeMartin View Post

This is all you need really. Theres not much risk at all.
+1

I use nylon scour pads (the cheapie generic ones) ALL the time on my Yamaha necks (my RBX170 bass and Pacifica 112 guitar)...it works GREAT!...

I won't apply it to my nice poly mahogany Carvin neck...but I never had an issue with that puppy, anyway.

by the way, a worn nylon pad also works great on the fretboard for giving the frets a shiny touch up before conditioning prior to a new string set.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:08 AM

Send a message via MSN to eleonn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooski View Post
sounds like steel wool might do the trick. thanks again guys for the help!
If you go the steel wool way dont forget to mask the pickups!
Nothing like standing in a pile of fresh wood shavings you just made.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:54 AM

BTW, the blue nylon pads are non-cutting, so won't work.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:50 AM
I'll hump your leg

Supporting Member
Zombie threading this one...

I'm about to order an SX jazz and I am planning on removing the gloss finish from the back of the neck. I'm looking to get it to feel as much as a MusicMan neck feel as possible. Satiny/oily I suppose.

So far in my research, I've basically read that the best way to do this is #0000 steel wool, and Casey/Birchwood Tru Oil. Any opinions on that? Will I get a Musicman feel?

Anyway, if it is a good way to do what I am looking for - I have a few questions:

For the first application of steel wool to remove the poly finish, should I do it all the way down to the wood where the entire poly finish is gone?

How many coats of Tru Oil should I use?

After applying a coat and letting it dry, should I steel wool it again to what level? Take the last coat visibly all the way off? Or just a little rub?

What should I do after applying the last coat? Buff? If so, what should I use and how should I do it?

Thanks in advance..
It was on this day that I learned that a thing known as anal bleaching exists.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:27 AM

I'd suggest gray or white scotchbrite over steel wool.

As for the rest of it, "to taste", meaning there's no right answer other than what you want. If it feels right, it is right.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:35 AM

I used 800 grit sandpaper on my bass's neck if i remember correctly, got exactly what i wanted.
I first tried steel wool (reccomendation from a local luthier) but it didnt take enough.