I almost forgot to post pictures in here...
So I found some money and took a weeks vacation to work on this thing.
I also found a plotter at work
Here I'm in the process of sorting the pieces of wood to find the ones with the nicest grain.
Indexing pins for the stacks of wood that are going to become the body wings:
The ides is to have these to align and hold the pieces somewhat in place when gluing. Without these pins the pieces will slide about making clamping impossible. Especially as I'm gluing 10 pieces in one go. This have to be done quickly!
As you can see there is some overhang on the bottom piece. The top piece is large enough to clamp the entire area of the bottom piece that is going to be used. (Both pieces are oversized)
The glass sheet is to prevent the glue sticking to the workbench.
Everything clamped up.
There is about a third of a bottle of Titebond in there...
Same process was used on the neck:
I didn't use indexing pins here. Instead I clamped the pieces to the workbench to keep it straight. Notice the larger piece of glass used as a glue collector. I also used some wax paper to prevent the clamping blocks to be glued to the neck. I almost got some paper into one of the glue joints...
This one was intended to be used to make the edges of the body wings completely straight. Unfortunately I didn't take the bit length into consideration when making it. Turns out that my longest router bit can't reach more than 8mm onto the piece...
It did work well to create a straight edge that I could run a template bit along.
Body wings straightened out:
The beginning of the neck shaping:
This was done by clamping down a straight edge which I ran the router along. I didn't bother to make a template for the entire neck because that would be less accurate. I didn't have a large enough piece of MDF anyway.
Body wings fit very tightly:
As you can see I haven't removed the glue squeeze out on this side of the neck. I only did that on one side that was used as a reference.
Indexing pin on the body wing:
This was done by shooting in a staple that I cut about 2mm from the face of the wood. I ten dry clamped the pieces together to make indentation in the neck. This is to prevent the pieces from sliding around when I glue them on.
Body wings clamped after gluing:
I don't have a planer, so I had to improvise. Two long clamps attached to the work table work as rails. and the router attached to a Ikea Drawer front. The melanin surface slide very nice on the rails.
I have also drilled a series of holes in the work surface that I feed small clamps through to prevent the workpiece to slide or lift.
Entire thing planed down. It isn't perfect, but nothing that some light sanding can't fix.
Body shape routed:
I had some minur tearouts, but that was on parts that are going to be rounded, so it doesn't matter.
Truss rod routing jig:
Those long clamps are very versatile.
Truss rod and CF rods in place:
The jig to route the CF rods were done with only one rail since the router bit matched the width perfectly. On the truss rod I had to add about a quarter of a millimeter to the width, so two rails were more practical.
Truss rod adjustment hole:
This will be covered up later.
Headstock angle jig:
The body is supported by a chair and a couple of tool suitcases.
It's much more secure than it sounds.
Neck taken (almost) down to it's final thickness:
This was done with the same Jig I used to plane down the body and neck. I have only removed the bulk of the wood. The rest will be done mostly by hand.
I'll post more as I go along. I just have to remember to take pictures...