I've been working on finishing a headless fretless Beatle bass build.
I've had more problem with this build than I have with all my previous builds combined.
My problems started when I cut the body out, and the figures in the wood the seller said were "Bird-eyes" were actually knots. One big one can be seen in this pick along the side towards the bottom. There were actually a number of knots that turned real nasty when I reduced the overall thickness. I sucked it up and moved on.
(This is me effing up bad) While I was shaping the neck, I had a pencil mark indicating where the heal starts. Unfortunately, I had 2 pencil marks on the board. I went to the the wrong one, and cut the heal too short. So to make up, I cut the back of the body and rounded it of. It turned out GodAwfulUgly
I then thought, I have all the parts, The wood is very expensive. I'll just follow thru and finish it. So last weekend I put the final coats of wax on. I put the body on the edge of my workbench, as I always did. But the coefficient of friction was alot less, and the accidental gentle nudge I gave it made it slide off the table and onto the floor. The top had to be resurfaced, and a big dent was put into one of the wings. The pic is after the repair.
So I once again sucked it up and made the repairs. Got it looking good again.
But as I went to work on it today to put the final coats of wax down, I noticed that the grain started to crack.
Ya know, sometimes the bastard wins, and ya just gotta walk away