Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Luthier's Corner
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Luthier's Corner Discussion on instrument building, repair, and materials.

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-03-2012, 02:33 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Luke19Boarder
Just skimmed through the whole thread -- awesome looking bass, especially for a first build!!
Avatar Club Member#162--Fender Jazz Bass Club#356 --Pick Bassist Club#20--Yorkville/Traynor Club#92
Old 12-03-2012, 02:37 PM

Ruining!? This looks amazing! I like the way it looks before you photoshopped it. The wings and neck look like they flow into each other, rather than having the sharp angle where the body dips down around the neck in the photoshopped picture. Im not saying the photoshopped pic looks bad, but if I had a choice between the two I'd pick the first option. Is the cut away uncomfortable in its current state?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke19Boarder View Post
Just skimmed through the whole thread -- awesome looking bass, especially for a first build!!
I'm glad you like it personally I suffer from OCD so I know all the mistakes I've made and they're driving me nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACNick View Post
Ruining!? This looks amazing! I like the way it looks before you photoshopped it. The wings and neck look like they flow into each other, rather than having the sharp angle where the body dips down around the neck in the photoshopped picture. Im not saying the photoshopped pic looks bad, but if I had a choice between the two I'd pick the first option. Is the cut away uncomfortable in its current state?
Really ? They do look like they flow into each other, but from that particular view, such a curvy carve, to me, isn't fitting with the rest of the bass that is somewhat edgy and chamfery. I understand what you mean by the sharp angle going into the neck, and maybe it won't look as good as I think in my head , so I'll have to think over it.. Maybe I'll make a virtual 3d mock up first. The cutaway was made to increase comfort and last fret access, it is pretty comfortable right now, and any additional carving won't change the ergonomics, only aesthetics..

Last edited by suraj : 12-11-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:13 PM

Chamfered curves are still chamfered.

For example...
Old 12-03-2012, 03:18 PM

I'm sorry, I didn't explain that well.. The varying chamfer depth in the cutaway areas, forms a curve that goes from shallow to deep to shallow over a very short length. This resultant curve from varying chamfer depths looks odd to me in that region. It could be just be me though, does it look odd to you ??

^^Thats a sweet looking body..!!

Last edited by suraj : 12-03-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:06 PM

I like the way it is now more than the photoshopped sketch. Your call, obviously.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:14 AM

The photoshopped sketch actually is badly photoshopped, but I guess your right. Till now whoever I have shown it to likes the way it is at present, except for me..
Old 12-04-2012, 08:22 AM

Supporting Member
I think you have gotten caught up in the obsession of getting the chamfers uniform. The problem with that is that they have to end somewhere. You basically have 3 options here:

1: Abrupt stop: like the photo shopped picture. I think that will ruin the curves of the bass slightly

2: Arched taper: like the one you have now.

3: Straight taper: Same as above, but the chamfered side straight. This method will give a consistent chamfer, but the transition between the taper and the chamfer will look like a "kink" in the chamfered edge.

As for the chamfer not matching the body shape, It DOES match. The insides of the horns are curved, so the chamfer should also be curved. The end of the horns will have a more angled looking chamfer because that's how the horns are shaped.

IMO the way you have done it until now is the only way that will look right.

This is my opinion, of course.

Try looking at the bass from a distance with a single light source from different angles to see how the chamfers work with the overall shape of the bass.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 PM

I guess I'll leave it the way it is right now, and take a good look at it with a single light source(great idea). As of now I still don't like the chamfers and feel its not suiting the body. I will make a 3D mockup..
Old 12-05-2012, 03:44 AM

So I made a 3D mock-up, this will help me decide which option I like. I made this in ten minutes, so its not a good model, but is good enough to get an idea and make a decision. Do share your views too..!!

This is the current shape of the carve -

And this is the shape I initially wanted, and maybe still like better -

A few other views -

I am inclining towards the orange body, the blue being the current bass.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:01 AM

If possible, go for your initial plan! Everytime I come across such a problem, I feel much more satisfied fixing it to my original intend.. but I like your bass as it is right now too
Old 12-05-2012, 06:07 AM

To me the yellow bass and the photoshop version look the cleanest. I know it can be hard to commit to one thing but I tend to agree with Rob that if you can follow the original plan you will feel more satisfied. But there is always the flexability/go with the flow, approach that can work. That approach is not for everyone though.

Either version will look good though. IMHO
Old 12-05-2012, 06:47 AM

I like the orange/yellow one better too. Or maybe somewhere halfway between the two?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthabraken View Post
If possible, go for your initial plan! Everytime I come across such a problem, I feel much more satisfied fixing it to my original intend.. but I like your bass as it is right now too
My thoughts exactly..!! except I don't like the bass at present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad98 View Post
To me the yellow bass and the photoshop version look the cleanest. But there is always the flexability/go with the flow, approach that can work. That approach is not for everyone though.

Either version will look good though. IMHO
Clean is the exact word i was looking for, for the yellow/orange one.

The go with the flow approach doesn't work for me. I like to have a plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbridenstine View Post
I like the orange/yellow one better too. Or maybe somewhere halfway between the two?
I guess once I get to carving it will end up a little different and maybe between the two.

So my next step is to convert the bass from blue to orange
Old 12-09-2012, 01:26 PM

I got little time today, so I converted my bass from blue to orange. The most difficult part was to avoid hitting the neck surface with the files, and to carve out the ash from the wenge surface it was glued onto. I guess I put so much clamping pressure that the ash had gotten into the wenge pores when I glued the body wings to the neck..that was removed with a needle file.

Onto the evidence of my story -

First using a small chisel (a sharpened flat screwdriver)

And then with a round file, and a very thin round needle file

A zoomed out view -

A back view -

I'm glad I carved it like this and stuck to my original plan. I feel it looks much better now.. doesn't it ?

Last edited by suraj : 12-09-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:13 PM

Looks great!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:29 PM

Looks good! Great to see you took the plunge
Old 12-10-2012, 06:08 AM

Thanks guys..!!

I need some help in making another decision. I can't seem to make up my mind at all. Let me give you guys the situation -

The scene is that I want to string up the bass and test a pickup prototype I made in different positions, to decide where i want to place the pickups that I'll be winding later.

Now I guess I have three options -

Option #1 -

Pore fill and finish the entire bass, clean fret slots and fret it, test the prototype pickup and determine pickup positions, Route the pickup cavities (on a finished bass seems like a very bad idea) and put a little finish in the pickup cavities then. Done.

Option #2 -

Fret the bass, Test the prototype pickup and determine pickup positions, Route the pickup cavities, and then finish the bass (with frets on, pore filling and wet sanding could be hard. Also the Varnish will need to be cleaned of every fret.)

Option #3 -

Test the prototype pickup and determine pickup positions in a fretless way, route the pickup cavities while the wood is still bare, finish the entire bass, clean fret slots and install frets. (The only disadvantage to this method is that the fretless testing won't give as clear an idea as a fretted testing. Also testing will have to be very gentle as roundwounds on bare wood will screw things up.)

Option #3 seems the most sensible. I need your thoughts.

Last edited by suraj : 12-10-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:42 PM

Hey Suraj!

I've been following this thread for a while now, finally jumping in. I'm no luthier, however I have to ask, do you have another bass you can use as a testing platform for the pickups? I know it won't give you quite a precise idea as to how they sound on this bass, but it might save some headaches. Otherwise, my common sense vote is that you go with option #3. I'm sure there are others with more experience who can direct you better though, as I'm sure there are options or caveats I haven't thought of. Excellent work so far though, I can't wait to see the end result!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:53 PM

As your a first timer you definitely want to fret it before finishing the neck. Its easy to put some marks on the edges of the neck with a slip of the file or paper. As for the finish coat on the fingerboard I would use a very thin layer and rub it right in (repeat as necessary) you wont want too much build up or it will be fragile and wear will be obvious.

You dont want to finish it before routing for pups either!
British Bassist #94