This one is taking shape a little differently, in that since I'm taking a different route in getting the wood, I am doing more planning in advance. The layers and the construction technique have to be strategized, right on up through the headstock. This is actually good, it should make it move along more quickly. It's probably more in line with how most of you guys go about things.
As timeline goes, my hope this time is to be able to halve the construction time to one year. So, by the end of 2013. The only problem with that may be in doing finishing during the cold weather. We'll see.
So, onward. General ideas and specs
- Slightly altered Storm King shape
- Same general idea of horizontal, symmetrical neck laminations
- Fanned fret 5er. Will either keep the same 33.5-36" scale, or alter it slightly.
- Fingerboard through body, with sculptural aspect
- Another new bridge design
- Will have to figure out an accompanying new design for string anchorage
- Not sure about doing another double-dovetail cavity cover. That was a pain. Maybe Pedulla style this time. Almost certainly with magnets, and grain-matched.
- Will be chambered if the wood weight warrants it
- If it works out, another new method of doing fret position markers
- An interesting pickup configuration
- Some ambitious pickup covers
- Pickups custom by Kent Armsrong
- ? preamp. Will likely add a passive treble rolloff
- Will stick with the Gotoh 350 ultralite tuners
I'm sure there will still be room for some improvisation along the way. I think the most rewarding parts of the last build were running into a problem or design challenge, and finding something cool to solve it and make it better than it would have been had the issue not popped up.
Here's a general rendering. Note that
- the fingerboard sculpting is only roughly approximated. And the tail end will not be abrupt like that.
- the heel will look nothing like that. It would take me longer to model it in CAD than to carve it.
- this shows the wood scheme, but not the actual woods - the colors are vague references only
- yes, it will have a headstock
Here are the layers, broken up.