Alot has happened again since my last post. The body has been glued to the neck core and cut out. The fretboard has been prepped to accept the inlays.
I didn't take any pictures of routing the squares out of the fingerboard, my appologies.
The process I learned here and several other places is to cut the hole as close as possible to the inlay, both in depth and in area. I then tape off everything not inlay area to keep it clean.
While routing out the inlay area on the fingerboard, I stop every couple of minutes or less and collect my wood dust in a tiny cup. by the end of this session, the cup was 40% full.
here is a photo of dust in a cup, the remainder after the inlays were set.
Right now I use epoxy as my inlay bonding agent. it also works well to fill in any mistakes I may have made durring the inlay routing process. I mix two batches of epoxy at once. one is the same tiny cup filled no more than 1/3 full containing equal parts of epoxy and hardener. the other is no more than 1/3 full containing equal parts of epoxy and hardener plus a 2 or 3 parts dust to one part mixed epoxy. I take the pure epoxy and coat the bottoms of the inlay route with a thin layer. All inlays are arranged just to the side of their respective holes and arranged to shine the same direction. I quickly put all inlays in their slots and push them in tightly.
Lastly, I take the wood/epoxy mixture and sort of fingerpaint the entire area, focusing on pushing this mixture into anywhere it will settle into.
the result is this
here it is after cleaning up with a flat file and then sanding
stepping foward again, The bass has been fretted and cavities routed
As of today the neck has been carved and the body contours have been 85% sculpted. I should have more pics tonight or tomorrow.