Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Band Management [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Band Management [BG] Examining issues with band membership, interaction, politics, and management.

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 11-25-2012, 09:57 PM

HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007

Supporting Member
Something worth thinking about is the explosive growth of televised sports, which have captured many aspects of popular music:

* Continual introduction of new and exciting material
* Limitless sideshow of personalities and drama
* Close relationship with alcohol sales
* Sophisticated music and graphics
Old 11-25-2012, 10:01 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
Senseful points.

"Bad tapping is probably typical after a sex change." nutdog
Old 11-25-2012, 10:06 PM

the article is gone i guess? anyone made a copy?
Old 11-25-2012, 10:51 PM

HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by varunkapahi View Post
the article is gone i guess? anyone made a copy?
It still shows up on my browser.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:11 PM

And if you dang kids would just keep the hell off my lawn, the music industry would be saved!

I read that article in grandpa Simpsons voice. Good points though about reaching the old dudes (I do see plenty of grey hair out in the wee hours at the classier bands around, usually jazz focused or some offshoot of that)
Old 11-25-2012, 11:17 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kKA1V-YcnU
Old 11-25-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddin tame View Post
And if you dang kids would just keep the hell off my lawn, the music industry would be saved!

I read that article in grandpa Simpsons voice. Good points though about reaching the old dudes (I do see plenty of grey hair out in the wee hours at the classier bands around, usually jazz focused or some offshoot of that)
In many markets, it has good points about reaching 30 and 40 somethings, who are far from being "old dudes". I'm in that demographic, and the last time I listened to jazz, it was buy mistake.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:31 PM

To me, the hard part about "reaching" an older audience isn't the live gig, but the recorded music. Not many people of any age routinely go to see bands they've never heard of; well, where are they going to hear of them?

Young people have a sort of cultural grapevine, which seems to fall apart with age as people get involved with day jobs and marriages and mortgages and parenthood and all that grown-up stuff. I can't remember the last time somebody at work introduced me to an interesting new band. Radio doesn't help---maybe San Diego is more of a radio desert than a lot of places, or maybe everything of interest has moved to satellite radio. The large-scale music industry has never been a very good curator of music, and what competence it had at the job I think was pretty well used up by about 1970.

You catch my ear with a song, I may well buy a CD, and if it's good you've probably got my ticket money when you come through town. I'll probably drag a friend or two along, I've been known to hit the merch table, and I once gave Joanna Newsom directions to a decent taco joint that would be open late. I'm an accessible, rewarding audience. But that snowball doesn't get rolling until I have a chance to hear that first song. That's the tough nut to crack, IMHO.

-NT
Old 11-25-2012, 11:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to hdracer
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevcda View Post
That's funny
But true

I am so sick of having to deal with drunk 20 something year old kids in a club.
I took a date to see Motorhead last winter, she ended up punching out some drunk kid acting like a ass.
I'm not sure what was a better show, Lemmy or her

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Old 11-26-2012, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
But that snowball doesn't get rolling until I have a chance to hear that first song. That's the tough nut to crack, IMHO.
It is tough. Here's an older article about how it really gets harder to get into new music: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...a_and_the_b52s

Sure, there are people who are 50 and just got into trap EDM last week, but there aren't too many of them. If aiming at older audiences, sticking to what they already know and are nostalgic about seems easier.
youtube.com/krowochron - Krappy Klub #2, redneck bassist #7, I back a hot singerbabe #22, doubleneck #4, cool strap #16, country #64
Old 11-26-2012, 05:18 AM

Article has some good points but some dubious ones also. Comparing the profitability of comedy clubs to live music venues? Let's see, single performers, one mic, PA for voice only, a couple lights...yeah, that production cost is sure equivelent to a show with a couple 4-5 person bands....
Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by plankspanker13 View Post
To most of the under-25 generation, music has been free, or almost free, for their entire lives. This is not so, with folks over 30, who also have more discretionary income. Marketers know this, but, alas, the music industry seems to ignore it. Maybe the band name from the late 80's/early 90's was indeed a genuine prophecy: Pop Will Eat Itself.
Agree^ I'm 50 and the days of waiting for records to be released and all are long gone. Music is to easy to get today and is free to many thru downloads, sharing and video. Why does anyone need to pay high tic, drink and parking prices only to face a possible DUI when leaving the club? I'm talking about the younger crowd so how the hell are the older folks going to get involved?

We played a cool club near a college campus and a week or so ago it was packed when we headlined it. The crowd was older 40+ and they all hung out until middle of our set then it was mass exit for the door when it got near midnight. People don't need to follow music like they used to it comes to them much to easy today.

Last edited by bassbully : 11-26-2012 at 09:04 AM.