Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Band Management [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Band Management [BG] Examining issues with band membership, interaction, politics, and management.

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-27-2012, 01:25 PM

How much equipment to bring to a gig?

Hey, I'm scouting around for my first gig. I know every venue is different, but generally, what equipment will be provided, and what will I have to bring myself? Obviously all the instruments, but what about mics, PAs, mixers, amps, etc? Will a guitar amp for each guitar, 2 mics, one small mixer, and a small PA work?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:47 PM

Supporting Member
Your asking an open question where the answer may be different for any given venue. Check with venus to determine if they have a house PA. Some do and some don't. Most of the time you need to bring your own amps and drum kit unless it is a multi band gig where you may be sharing a back line with other bands.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:48 PM

all right, I guess that was too open a question. I gues what I meant is, will there ever be a venue that provides absolutely nothing?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Just a BassGuy!

Endorsing Joiner & Ben Lindsey Basses - Maker: XB Custom Cables

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushbuttonfour View Post
all right, I guess that was too open a question. I gues what I meant is, will there ever be a venue that provides absolutely nothing?
Yeah - Be a Boy Scout and be prepared. I bring everything but the kitchen sink.

2 basses, with straps and stands - tons of cables (power, mic, speaker, instrument), my Eden rig... backup head (Shuttle 6.0) tuner is rack mounted, mic stand for me and a couple of others JIC, a half dozen mics, several monitors, DIs. Others in the group bring the PA, Lights, etc. Only rarely do we get the 'walk in and play' treatment.

My gig bag includes a soldering iron, every possible connector, wire stripper, duct tape, electrical tape, screw drivers, other tools, Band Aids, strings, etc.
Warrior #14 / Eden #156 / Fender pre-CBS Club #7 / P&W Bassists #77 / 3 Leaf Audio #130
Moody Straps

Last edited by ExaltBass : 12-27-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger.

Supporting Member
Quote:
For a cover band gig? Yes, about 99% of them will provide nothing. (If you're lucky they'll have lights)

For an original band gig? IME about 99% of them will provide PA, Lights, and a soundguy.

YMMV
Quote:
Originally Posted by hover View Post
He's got the Moo OO OO OO OO OO OO OObs like Jagger....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jive1 View Post
All you chubby white dudes look alike to me.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:52 PM
No need to ask, he's a smooth...

Supporting Member
Yes, very frequently the venue will have nothing - but it does depend on the sort of gigs you're playing, of course.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:53 PM
LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Send a message via Skype™ to MatticusMania
Supporting Member
Quote:
I'd say there are a lot of variables to consider, but I can tell you the usual for my original band...

Generally, a PA and mics/stands/cables will be provided.
The band is responsible for bringing instruments & amps.
Thats the situation for about 98% of our gigs.

Bassist Club: Veg#33 Buddhist#11 LGBT#5
Old 12-27-2012, 01:54 PM

For you as a bass player you need at least two bass guitars
a di bass driver (in case you amp craps out during the show)
your amp if you use one
a number of cables
and a gig bag with a number of things that come in handy
looking up in the forum search "what's in your gig bag"
you will be surprised all of the non playing related things we carry with us to save the day! hope this steers you in the right direction RTS
#69 New Jersey Bassist Club#49 Gibson /Ripper/G-3 club,#45 Dean Club,#161 Blues bassist Club,#99 Bassists who are lefties who play righty club,Fender Rumble Club, Peavey Amp Club
Old 12-27-2012, 01:57 PM

usually even the smallest of venues that host some kind of live music have a PA and mixer. most such places also have sm58 mic's. if you want to mic your cab you should bring your own mic though.
those venues include cafes bars restaurants.
now if it is an established live music venue you dont have to worry at all.

what you need to bring is what you need personally. eg. your bass, an amp, a DI box and cables to connect these things.
xlr cables are usually not needed.
Ampeg Portaflex Club #314
Old 12-27-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtslinger View Post
For you as a bass player you need at least two bass guitars
why does he need two bass guitars on a gig?
i only own one bass and im doing fine

Quote:
yes the situation can occur. but IME this is very rare venues like that either only do live music exceptionally or are not worth playing at. especially considering you would have to bring all the PA stuff. but i cant speak for the rock and roll cover bands that play in bars and biker clubs.
Ampeg Portaflex Club #314
Old 12-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Supporting Member

Supporting Member
Quote:
Yes. Always make sure you know what equipment will or will not be there before you show up.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:12 PM

One bass? Wow! That's brave. I over prepare though. I carry three bases, but usually one play one and I have two di's (not counting the one on my amp) and a backup amp. Also, tons of extra cables and batteries and stuff. You never know some drunk ass knocks your **** off the stand or your drummer drops his hard ware case on your bass. You break a string., blow a fuse. A battery dies. A million things can happen and I try to prepare. I would hate for a small accident to ruin my night. But, that's just me.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:13 PM

Supporting Member
Always bring extra extension cords and power strips. No one else ever seems to think of it, and as usual, the bass player has to bail everyone else out.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreider204
Always bring extra extension cords and power strips. No one else ever seems to think of it, and as usual, the bass player has to bail everyone else out.
I live by this rule. My emergency gig preparedness bag is full of extra cables galore.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:18 PM

Everything mentioned and etc. We always take a full PA with a small extra mixer in case of emergency. Two full bass rigs, which gives us one for whatever guitar, keyboard, or bass amp emergency may occur. Extra straps, stands, strings, mikes, a small tool set, and tape and batteries and etc. Asprin and Tums are also nice to have with you. Maybe we're a bit paranoid, but it's paid off many times.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:25 PM

I have also played twenty gigs now with ONE BASS! Feels great- in fact I only own one bass- the best IMHO American P-Bass.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backup View Post
why does he need two bass guitars on a gig?
i only own one bass and im doing fine
Yep, I've never had a bass die on me either.

I've always liked this quote that Jeff Berlin posted here before he was banned:

"Regarding my instrument, I own 1 (count 'em) ONE bass guitar because I only play one bass. I know that this is silly if anything happens to my instrument. But as a professional player, I can't remember any bass of mine suddenly becoming unable to function in the middle of a performance or a recording session. So I just play the one."
Old 12-27-2012, 02:27 PM

Every gig venue is different. Good idea is to check it out before u play there.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:27 PM

SVT, 810, bass, backup bass, pedalboard, power strip, and my backpack full of picks, cables, strings, allen wrenches, wristbands, etc.

I also brought two basses for two tunings in my last band to minimize tuning between songs.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:28 PM
There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmay View Post
One bass? Wow! That's brave. I over prepare though. I carry three bases, but usually one play one and I have two di's (not counting the one on my amp) and a backup amp. Also, tons of extra cables and batteries and stuff. You never know some drunk ass knocks your **** off the stand or your drummer drops his hard ware case on your bass. You break a string., blow a fuse. A battery dies. A million things can happen and I try to prepare. I would hate for a small accident to ruin my night. But, that's just me.
+1

I would never go to a gig with any less than two basses.