Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Band Management [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Band Management [BG] Examining issues with band membership, interaction, politics, and management.

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 02-06-2013, 07:34 AM

No loss ... that "band" was going nowhere ... slowly. There's a woman around here who is a very frequent poster to Craigslist (every week in more than one list), always looking for a new band member. She fancies herself a rock star (or something) and just doesn't give up. I gave her stuff a listen, and it became clear why there's such a high turnover. Makes one wonder who in their right mind would even consider her band!

Oh, what the hell ... here's a link to her most recent ad ... http://nwct.craigslist.org/muc/3584430305.html ... And to her music ... http://www.myspace.com/amortar

There are some "bands" that aren't worth the time and effort. Really.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacojas View Post
so,.. did you and her have something going on the side or not?!!
Absolutely not...Happy with my wife since we were HS sweethearts..going on 38 years.

Never ...ever has the cheat thought entered my mind, let alone been carried out!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig.p View Post
One thing I've found common among borderline neurotics is they'll often accuse you of possessing the personality traits they know they possess themselves, but wont admit it. ("If it's you, then it can't be me, so I'll make you the problem, which will work great for me because then I won't have to confront any internal root causes." That type of deal.)

The other thing is, how does a BL slap the Boat Anchor label on someone who's loyal -- unless he's a crap player or has crap equipment or won't learn a style that's needed for the project to fly or refuses to do certain music or gigs?
Thats a good question. Both of us have answered to her and done everything she wanted. She picked the songs..she even insisted on me playing certain bass' and would actually go over to the guitar player(60 years old, we are all mature adults) and put his fingers in places on his guitar!

Peace!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already In Use View Post
Thats a good question. Both of us have answered to her and done everything she wanted. She picked the songs..she even insisted on me playing certain bass' and would actually go over to the guitar player(60 years old, we are all mature adults) and put his fingers in places on his guitar!

Peace!
How did you manage to tolerate this for 3.5 years?
Club Clement #27
There Will Never be a Venue that Charges ME to Play Club #42 (The Larch)
Old 02-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Supporting Member
Ahhh nothing more fun than arguing theory with a musician that has no clue about it.

I had a guitar player quit the next day because I told him to solo in D minor as this wasn't a major key. He then went on to argue about how it was and it works, I then pointed out how one of the key notes in the line is an F... you do the math.

Yeah 3.5 years and your still there? They must have be really fun to hang out with.

! Rocking against all gods !
Old 02-06-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWB View Post
How did you manage to tolerate this for 3.5 years?
This "project" was always just about to bust out. I like the music. Time went by. It wasnt always tolerating the situation. The girl came from a high end, up scale band and told everybody she would take us there. I was the only original member to stick it out..until yesterday.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post

Oh, what the hell ... here's a link to her most recent ad ... http://nwct.craigslist.org/muc/3584430305.html ... And to her music ... http://www.myspace.com/amortar

We must be living in the twighlight zone because if you click and play the songs on that myspace I hear the worst non talent hack of a singer/ band I think ive ever heard. Was that really the band? It sounds like a bad acid trip.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Gonzalez View Post
We must be living in the twighlight zone because if you click and play the songs on that myspace I hear the worst non talent hack of a singer/ band I think ive ever heard. Was that really the band? It sounds like a bad acid trip.
Yep! Can't imagine why she can't keep a band together. Don't know if you saw it or not, but according to her schedule they get gigs. Unbelievable!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:08 AM

Does it get any better than this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0db9Oyh50pw

Stick to to jazz/blues, there's an audience for jazz and blues.
Team Trace Elliot #1, IWNBARMPB Prezident, Mediocre Bassist #399, Old Basstard #86, PBBBC #2
Old 02-09-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already In Use View Post

Today, after knowing this for a month my band leader is sort of giving me a farewell speech on the phone as she is arranging our practice this afternoon. She referred to both me and our guitar player/lead vocalists as boat anchors.

3.5 years ?

Given this I wonder why you even went to practice,except to get any of your stuff from where you practice.

Don't look back.
There Will Never be a Venue that Charges ME to Play Club Member #20
Old 02-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Supporting Member

Supporting Member
Boat anchor? Somebody start calling me names would very quickly be talking to themselves.

That band is history, as if it happened 200 years ago. Move on and have fun.

No worries, mate!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:05 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbo View Post
Boat anchor? Somebody start calling me names would very quickly be talking to themselves.
Very true.

Just remember, for every good bass player in a given town, there are 84 diva singers, 112 guitar players (34 of whom don't suck), and 19 drummers (6 of whom aren't addicts). You should be able to quickly move on to a better situation and have your pick of them at that.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
No loss ... that "band" was going nowhere ... slowly.
Ha! Wouldn't that be better than getting there quickly?
Old 02-12-2013, 07:04 PM

Supporting Member
Simple. If you don't enjoy the people in the band and playing with them, get out. Life is too short to spend time around people you don't like.

Personally, I don't play to gig - I play to enjoy the music and the band. But the important things are that you're in it for the same reasons (whatever they are) and you enjoy the people. Even if gigging were my goal, I wouldn't put up with the kind of stuff the OP cites. It's not worth it.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:04 AM

A keyboardist who doesn't know triads?!? I would have left immediately upon finding that out.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Your Obedient Bassist®

GOLD Supporting Member
Drop her like a used rubber.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:31 AM

Endorsing Artist: VF Cables

Supporting Member
If I were called a boat anchor on the phone before rehearsal the only reason I would have shown up was to collect my gear.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:55 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:

Wow! In my almost-54 years on this planet, I think I've finally heard someone who has a worse singing voice than I do!

And her songwriting 'skills' are pretty pathetic, too.
Sadowsky Club #412
EBMM reflex & 25th Anniversary Club #11
Old 02-17-2013, 08:20 AM

She is awful....
Old 02-17-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Simple. If you don't enjoy the people in the band and playing with them, get out. Life is too short to spend time around people you don't like.

Personally, I don't play to gig - I play to enjoy the music and the band. But the important things are that you're in it for the same reasons (whatever they are) and you enjoy the people. Even if gigging were my goal, I wouldn't put up with the kind of stuff the OP cites. It's not worth it.
I hear ya! I did like the people. I am talking with the guitar player who claims I need to call the band leader. My thought? ***?

My personal journey in music is the passion for making the final product move people, make em laugh, cuddle, dance , cry or what ever...no shooting though! I figure chasing my passion may lead to making a few bucks here and there. That's happening now with another group that moves like greased lightning. We have practice material on disk. Specific sections for each of us to learn. Structured practice with 3 month schedules. We have video to use to improve everything from our looks to our sound. All since about Dec 20th or so. We played a decent show to a sol out crowd of 300...20 bucks per head. The band donated our end to a woman's and kid shelter. felt really good.

This band has another show due to demand from the venue which will pay. Per night cuts will be around 225.00 dollars per night...sometimes more ..others a bit less. I see and know the difference big time!

I face an unwillingness by older, seasoned band mates to accept technology, I Pads, I Real Book, digital recording, soundcloud, etc..They like CD's and the past way of doing things from their hayday.

Being the bassist in a base 6 piece band that goes up to 9 pieces with available horns is a dream come true!

Thanks everybody. The members here are wonderful. I feel blessed to have found this place.

Peace!

Here's a pic of our last show's room. I cannot post band pics w/o permission...so no players...sorry...

Last edited by Already In Use : 02-17-2013 at 11:06 AM.