Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Band Management [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Band Management [BG] Examining issues with band membership, interaction, politics, and management.

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

View Poll Results: Main reason for playing Bass
Play Bass for a living 27 14.67%
Play Bass just for hobby 157 85.33%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2013, 05:18 AM

Supporting Member
Play bass for a living, or just a hobby...

This may have been brought up before, but just wondering how many of us are playing bass as a main source of income, and who is playing for a side hobby and a few x-tra buck$. Of course, we all love playing bass or we would not be here reading this.
For myself, I have a semi-proffessional day job as a Chemical Lab Research Tech, and also work the same place as a relief Stationary Engineer boiler operator. I somehow find some time for my bass, and playing in my own personal band project as well, but am thinking about an "early retirement" and picking up the "bass pace". I have several band friends that are always asking me to play for them as well. What are thoughts and your situation?

www.Cravetheband.net
Old 12-31-2013, 05:24 AM

You should have done a poll
Hobbyist.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:31 AM

Just as a hobby for now (since I'm only 15), but I'm hoping I can get a career in it.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:09 AM
Musical Anarchist

Supporting Member
You need to do the math. How much do the gigs pay? How often do they really gig? Can you live on that amount?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:19 AM

Supporting Member
Good advice, Phangton.

www.Cravetheband.net
Old 12-31-2013, 06:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to Adam Wright
Supporting Member
I am a fulltime professional musician. I do ok at best but I do make as much and usually more playing every week as I did working for my family as an inside salesman at an electrical supply warehouse...no ac(fun in Texas summers) and lots of heavy lifting. I had a decent musical education but always tried to do the original band thing after I got out of school and didn't really take the plunge into being a full time musician until 28, which I feel puts me at a big disadvantage considering one of the local colleges(UNT, which I did not attend) has one of the best music programs on earth and a lot of these guys stick around.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:27 AM

Weekend warrior/ hobbyist.
There are very few here who make a living playing bass.
Most of my buddies teach full time to make a living in music.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:32 AM

Making a living as a musician is not too easy, so I'll keep it as a hobby.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:34 AM
Supporting Member

Supporting Member
I took up bass, my first instrument, in my early 40s, just for fun. I already had a successful career, so never wanted anything more than fun out of playing bass.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:36 AM

Supporting Member
Play bass for a living, or just a hobby...

I would say I'm a serious hobbyist. I literally make no money at all from playing bass, in fact it actually ends up costing me a lot more than I make. I'm in an original band though so it's pretty much impossible to make any decent money in a local, original band. I don't do it for money though, I do it because I love it. I look at it this way, some guys race cars, some guys work on motor cycles, I play music. For some reason, a lot of people can't wrap their head around that analogy, every time I tell someone I'm in a band, they ask me if I'm trying to be famous or if I'm making any money. When I tell them the answer is no to both question, they look at me like I'm an idiot and ask me why am I in a band then.
NJ Bassists Club #192
Ampeg SVT 7 Pro Club #34
Darkglass Club #28
Old 12-31-2013, 06:40 AM

Just a sitting room hobbyist.
Bassists Who Drive Manual #119 - Mediocre Bassist Club#678
Old 12-31-2013, 06:46 AM

Supporting Member
I wish I could do it for a living but at this point I would have to say I do it as a hobby with hopes to make a decent living off of it. I have no delusions like my guitarist, Im more realistic. I have all the confidence in the world in my band regardless, but Im real about it. So as much as I would love to say I do it for a living, I have to be honest and say I am at the hobby point with hopes of it becoming a moderate to successful living.
http://killinggodsofficial.bandcamp.com/album/2013-epATK club #214 l GK club #959 l Darkglass club #1 l Ampeg club #960 l Pedal Breeders Big Board Club#1 l Official Black & Maple Club #523
Old 12-31-2013, 06:57 AM

Supporting Member
Honestly, I like being a weekend warrior. I have a day job which affords me the gear I want (mostly,) but I am concerned that if I were to try to squeak out a living playing I might not like the playing as much. That, or I would have to take crappy gigs to make ends meet.

If I were in a major city it might be a different story, though.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:01 AM

Supporting Member
Hobby only. I have a very good paying job in Marketing, and I'm "only" 40 years old. Retirement is still away, and can't imagine making anywhere close to what I make as a musician. Although the local market pays hobby-bands pretty well (around $1000/night, no matter how many musicians are in the band), the local circuit is too small, and touring would be out of the question. So...hobby it is, at least for the next 20 years or so.
Ibanez Blazer/Roadstar Club #01, Crappy Bassist with Expensive Gear #221, Ibanez Club #1138, The Soundgear Club #202, Musicman Stingray Club #490, John Paul Jones Fan Cub #78
Old 12-31-2013, 07:03 AM
I am he as you are he..and we are all together

GOLD Supporting Member
Your poll is too limited (I could swear it was created by bluewine). "playing bass seriously while hoping to transition to pro gigs." "Playing at a pro level but not expecting pay because it's all originals". The contention that playing is either hobby or make-a-buck work is insulting to the approximately 60% of TBers that have no interest in cover band work but do not consider their efforts "hobby".

Last edited by edpal : 12-31-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:09 AM

Hobby player. I got over wanting to "make it" when my first band went sour 20 years ago and I realized I don't really like the music scene. I even quit playing bass for 8 years at one point, but came back to it, and now I'm in a garage band with no ambition to become more than that. I have full time stable work and am going to school part time in addition to having two other hobbies :woodworking and keeping a reef aquarium. Playing bass for me is a creative outlet and a way to blow off steam. I love it, but I would never try to make a living off it.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:10 AM
Supporting Member

Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?

Supporting Member
i play for the army. I consider it semi-pro. Pro's have techs, roadies, and groupies!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:11 AM
Proud Papa-to-be

Supporting Member
100% hobbyist, I'm not even playing in a band at this point.
Fretless Club #864
Old 12-31-2013, 07:12 AM
Supporting Member

Supporting Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SURma5PlfGs
Old 12-31-2013, 07:16 AM

Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings

I have done both over the past 35 years. I do a lot of gigs and recording work. I have also done some music for a couple of television shows and some foreign films.