Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Band Management [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Band Management [BG] Examining issues with band membership, interaction, politics, and management.

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:17 AM

We have just started learning "Here With Me" by Mercy Me. What a great song. I am transcribing the string parts so my wife can play the lines on her flute. We had to drop the key down to G (from B) so our lead vocalist doesn't kill his vocal cords......
Fender Jazz Bass #979
Gallien-Krueger #1048
Old 11-08-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcomatic View Post
I want in.. I play for my church [Morning Star] as well as sub around town for others churches.
Welcome to the thread marcomatic! Your number is 1170!

Last ten #'s added to the list:

1161 aparker82
1162 5minutes
1163 rotis
1164 FellowBass
1165 Shep_Ramsey
1166 trbostic
1167 Beersurgeon
1168 tigerfire
1169 GAPendragon
1170 marcomatic
P-bass Club member #377 - Traben Club #57 - Ampeg Club #575 - Fretless #728
Worship Bassist Club member #201 - Michigan Bassists #16 - 50+ Club #36 - Old Basstards #156
Old 11-08-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beersurgeon View Post
Hi mkanolf,
I am a brewer. It's a great hobby with amazing results! Thanks for the number!
It is a fun hobby indeed! I got hooked on my first batch.
P-bass Club member #377 - Traben Club #57 - Ampeg Club #575 - Fretless #728
Worship Bassist Club member #201 - Michigan Bassists #16 - 50+ Club #36 - Old Basstards #156
Old 11-08-2012, 12:30 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis
Feel free to bump me if this is posted in the wrong thread but...

We need new XLR cables in our practice area. We aren't going to build them. Does anyone have suggestions on what to get? There are packages of GLS Audio cables on Amazon that look like a good deal but I have learned that the most expensive cables are the cheap ones.
Buy used Monster cables on eBay. If they go bad, you go get a new one. Anywhere, anytime. I have 15 cables I've bought and had to replace 2 or 3 so far. No questions asked.
Praise and Worship #976, Pedulla Club #127, EUB Club #19, Fender Jazz Bass Club #777, fretless Club #682, Florida Bassist #201 Source Audio Sourcerers Society #146 TC Electronics RH450 Club #92.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:19 PM

Just found out that at our worship band Christmas Concert on Dec.12, we'll have a special guest performer -- Brandon Heath. And we get to be his backup band for the one original song he's doing. That will be a pretty cool experience!!
Old 11-08-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FellowBass
Just found out that at our worship band Christmas Concert on Dec.12, we'll have a special guest performer -- Brandon Heath. And we get to be his backup band for the one original song he's doing. That will be a pretty cool experience!!
That's pretty cool, man. Pick his brain, lol.
Praise & Worship #803;Florida Bassists Club #168;
Ibanez Club #693;Bassists Who Drive Manual #67
Old 11-08-2012, 03:45 PM

Well, I managed to play "blind" (no foldback; played by feel and vibration from the bass' body - didn't Beethoven not work like that?).

Now, I'm not a fan of pedals at all, but I am wondering if a bit of overdrive wouldn't help raise the "punch" a little and maybe give me a bit of monitor from the inefficient house mains.

And has anyone got absolute negatives over the Behringer BDI21?

M. <><
Old 11-08-2012, 04:49 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingHighs View Post
Well, I managed to play "blind" (no foldback; played by feel and vibration from the bass' body - didn't Beethoven not work like that?).

Now, I'm not a fan of pedals at all, but I am wondering if a bit of overdrive wouldn't help raise the "punch" a little and maybe give me a bit of monitor from the inefficient house mains.

I bought the acoustic version of the BDI21 for $10, because the power jack was busted. And the PC board. Flimsy plastic crap, and not one of Behringer's prouder moments.

I would recommend that you look for a Danelectro Transparent OD, if you want a cheap overdrive. Fiddly knobs, but an excellent little pedal.

Neither will do anything for your monitoring problems. The sound guy is still in charge, so all an overdrive will do is give you a too-quiet bass sound that's fuzzy and indistinct. Not really an improvement...
Old 11-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Supporting Member

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingHighs

M. <><
I like mine. Tone is a hair warmer than a Sansamp. Can dial in just the right amount of grind and edginess for songs that really need it like Furious by Bethel Church. Sounds awesome with a jazz rolled slightly to the neck pickup. I just wouldn't stomp on it forcefully.

For what it does and how little they cost, I have no complaints.
Praise & Worship #813
Old 11-09-2012, 04:25 AM

Golly, Steve, I don't think I've ever 'heard' you use colourful language; does not say much about the BDI21. However, there is one thing that does pip it to the post over the Danelectro being the XLR output (just means another DI does not need to be put in the chain).

Not too fussed if it doesn't go the "whole nine yards" with regards durability; I'm only needing to get over what I believe will be a short-term hurdle as I have, in faith, entrusted this issue to them-there-Him-above-know-what-I-mean-nudge-nudge. What He wants, He gets! So if He does not want me heard, then so be it. But if He does, hoo boy,.... (I'm just glad it ain't my butt He's gonna kick!).

And, while typing this, I realized there is a little bit of monitor I can hear, the drummer's; it's a bass inefficient SRM150 so 'sharpening up the edges' (that's 'adding distortion' to the less technical) will give me something albeit lacking completely in tone.

Marc. <><
Old 11-09-2012, 07:47 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingHighs View Post
...while typing this, I realized there is a little bit of monitor I can hear, the drummer's; it's a bass inefficient SRM150...
An SRM150 for a drum monitor?

Where's the Smiley for hangs head; gnashes teeth; weeps?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_rolfeca View Post
An SRM150 for a drum monitor?

Where's the Smiley for hangs head; gnashes teeth; weeps?
Wow... yeah that's pretty ridiculous. And here's me complaining cuz we don't have in-ears yet, and I'm stuck with a Peavey 150W wedge powered by a CS1200 amp.

Aren't those little Mackies designed as personal mic-stand monitors for Vocalists in small venues? I'd be surprised if the drummer can even hear it when he's playing (unless he uses brushes all day).???

I would be absolutely FUMING if I had to put up with the monitor situation in that church.
Traynor#229 Fender Jazz Bass#902 Praise And Worship#1120 REDDI Club#1 Läkland#448

Last edited by english4bw : 11-09-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:38 PM

Supporting Member
Got a text from the MD last night that our new drum kit is in!

Goodbye 16-year-old decrepit TKO, Hello Roland TD-11KV!

We'll be setting it up and dialing it in Saturday morning. I don't play drums, but am still excited!
“...and those who have not swords can still die upon them." - J.R.R. Tolkein | Praise & Worship Bassist Club Member #386 | Team Trace Elliot #92 | GK Club #940
Old 11-10-2012, 01:13 AM

Supporting Member
This weekend is our ELEVEN Conference at Harbour with our regular Worship teams and Jonathan David and Melissa Helsing as special guests for the weekend! They are great worship leaders and do great original stuff. I got their CD last year when they came down from NC.

No set list from Sojourn Church for Sunday yet.
Praise and Worship #976, Pedulla Club #127, EUB Club #19, Fender Jazz Bass Club #777, fretless Club #682, Florida Bassist #201 Source Audio Sourcerers Society #146 TC Electronics RH450 Club #92.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:33 AM

Supporting Member
Monthly all-city worship last night, first time with iPads and OnSong.

We weren't able to get synchronization going (never try to launch a new technology minutes before an event!), but it was still a revelation.

Downloading 173 charts from Dropbox the day before, only took a few minutes. Corrections to a couple of bad charts were so easy, I did a couple on the fly between songs.

Best of all, was the event took a couple of unexpected turns, and we did a number of substitutions on the fly. That would have been a nightmare with regular binders.

Anyway, here's our set list, before substitutions:

Glorious by Bryan Torwalt and Katie Torwalt in E
Rain Down by Martin Smith and Stuart Garrard in E
You Are Good by Brian Johnson and Jeremy Riddle in E
Great Big God by Robert Critchley in Em
King Of Glory (Your Face Outshines The Brightest Sun) by David Gate and Matt Redman in Dm
Your Kingdom Come by Kathryn Marquis in G
Hosanna (I See the King of Glory) by Brooke Fraser in C
Arise, Shine by Kathryn Marquis in Bm
Purest Love by Bob Sprenger in Gm
In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins in Gm
Open by Kathryn Marquis in Dm
Better Is One Day by Matt Redman in C
Break and Release by Kathryn Marquis in C
Pour Down by Kathryn Marquis in C
Let It Rain by Michael W. Smith in C
Holy by Matt Gillman in Dm
Holy And Anointed One by Vineyard in F
No Matter What by Kathryn Marquis in Bb
God I Look To You by Jenn Johnson/Ian MacIntosh in Bb
Sing Praise by FCDC Worship Team in Bb
Oh Lord You're Beautiful by Keith Green in C
10,000 REASONS by Jonas Myrin & Matt Redman in C
Old 11-10-2012, 05:36 AM
The Root Master

Supporting Member
Drum set last night. Gettin' ready to go play bass this morning. Bring on the P&W!

Music is a language. What are you saying?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yRMbH36HRE

Being present in the mix, not cutting through
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcCjFTvUFls
Old 11-10-2012, 06:02 AM
There is more

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb777 View Post
This weekend is our ELEVEN Conference at Harbour with our regular Worship teams and Jonathan David and Melissa Helsing as special guests for the weekend! They are great worship leaders and do great original stuff. I got their CD last year when they came down from NC.

No set list from Sojourn Church for Sunday yet.
You are at The Harbour? I am in Boca Raton at Revival Life Church. Hope your conference goes well.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:37 AM

Was at a music conference today, and it wasn't helpful at all because it is going to raise my frustration levels; the guy leading, Philip Percival, explained how the most important instrument to be heard, apart from the vocals, is the bass, then the drums, then the others. The reason is the bass is the most helpful for people to pitch against (i.e. to help them sing in pitch).

The bassist (professional and has played in orchestras) said he once had a famous conductor he was under the baton of (he did say the name, but it escapes me) stopped the whole bang shoot one time and asked all on stage who was the most important instrument. No-one dared answer him (for fear of getting it wrong). He pressed them for an answer and once most had got it wrong he yelled "the bass, you're not listening to the bass!"

Oh, how I wish our MD was there!

M. <><
Old 11-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Supporting Member
Home from an exhausting (in a good way) couple of days. 8 people, 1 bunkhouse, 2 acoustic guitars, countless songs, some tears, a whole load of laughter, teaching, growing, correction, friendship, food, drink, fresh air, hills and a massive God.

Now for dinner, sleep and up early tomorrow to go put it all into practice. Can't wait for next year.
Praise & Worship Club #975, 5-String#553, ACG Club, Zoom Owner's Club#158

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassybill View Post
This is the most boring thing ever posted on the Internet. Shut up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2dHeart View Post
I can't brain today, I have the dumb.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:39 PM

Hi,
Has anyone played Don't Have Love by Holly Starr? I have to play it tomorrow morning and I think I have figured out the song and I charted it but it's far from perfect. Any tips or suggestion would be awesome!!
Acoustic Club #243, Colorado Club #43, Ibanez Club #664, Hartke Club #209, Praise and Worship Club #1167, G&L Club Member #489, Ampeg Club Member #1012
Closed Thread