Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Band Management [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Band Management [BG] Examining issues with band membership, interaction, politics, and management.

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 02:13 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVeryTired

I can't remember the definition of a strobe tuner other than it's very accurate. The multi string thing is nothing to do with strobes - the one pedal I know that does that is the Polytune.
That's correct! I have one and they are great. I don't know if it will work correctly with my next possible acquisition which is screaming at me right now after just leaving Guitar Center because it's a Conklin Sidewinder Custom 8 string that is both dirt cheap and absolutely gorgeous at the same time! It's Purple Heart or some kind of similar walnut flavored top with solid Zebra Wood Wings and 7 piece neck through with the RMC Piezo bridge saddles. 35" scale, Low F# to high Bb. It originally had the13 pin MIDI setup and jack with another 1/4 jack but now is sporting Bartolini NTMB Preamp and controls and a 3 way Mid Toggle and Lane Poor Pickups. Sounds and plays very nicely although the 35" scale gives the strings on it a pretty tight tension. Played a cheaper GT-7 a couple of days ago and that played a little easier with its 34" scale and only going down to a low B. I did a quick runs line at Conklin's Custom Shop pricing and came up with a $9700 build with original electronics and probably around an $8500 price tag as it is now. I'm looking at less than a 1/4 of that. I'd have to trade in 2 of my basses for that and put it on layaway for a month. It's either that or an American DeLuxe 5 string Jazz. They also play very very nicely!

Decisions, decisions!
Praise and Worship #976, Pedulla Club #127, EUB Club #19, Fender Jazz Bass Club #777, fretless Club #682, Florida Bassist #201 Source Audio Sourcerers Society #146 TC Electronics RH450 Club #92.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb777 View Post
That's correct! I have one and they are great. I don't know if it will work correctly with my next possible acquisition which is screaming at me right now after just leaving Guitar Center because it's a Conklin Sidewinder Custom 8 string that is both dirt cheap and absolutely gorgeous at the same time! It's Purple Heart or some kind of similar walnut flavored top with solid Zebra Wood Wings and 7 piece neck through with the RMC Piezo bridge saddles. 35" scale, Low F# to high Bb. It originally had the13 pin MIDI setup and jack with another 1/4 jack but now is sporting Bartolini NTMB Preamp and controls and a 3 way Mid Toggle and Lane Poor Pickups. Sounds and plays very nicely although the 35" scale gives the strings on it a pretty tight tension. Played a cheaper GT-7 a couple of days ago and that played a little easier with its 34" scale and only going down to a low B. I did a quick runs line at Conklin's Custom Shop pricing and came up with a $9700 build with original electronics and probably around an $8500 price tag as it is now. I'm looking at less than a 1/4 of that. I'd have to trade in 2 of my basses for that and put it on layaway for a month. It's either that or an American DeLuxe 5 string Jazz. They also play very very nicely!

Decisions, decisions!
Don't you just hate it when you have to wait and sacrifice for a new bass? (Mine may arrive this week!)

So which is the one you wish you had in your hands right now?
Praise & Worship Club #975, 5-String#553, ACG Club, Zoom Owner's Club#158

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassybill View Post
This is the most boring thing ever posted on the Internet. Shut up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2dHeart View Post
I can't brain today, I have the dumb.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:19 PM

Supporting Member
"Don't you just hate it when you have to wait and sacrifice for a new bass? (Mine may arrive this week!)

Praise & Worship #975
There's no money above the fifth fret. Or below it either. All I can see is rosewood. "

Fender Standard Jazz. sansamp bass driver DI. One thing at a time. URGH!
Worship Bassist Club member #1175
Fender Jazz Bass Club #1188
U.S. Peavey Club Member #340

Last edited by kbaxter26 : 12-17-2012 at 07:54 AM. Reason: forgot to quote question
Old 12-16-2012, 04:06 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVeryTired

Don't you just hate it when you have to wait and sacrifice for a new bass? (Mine may arrive this week!)

The quick and easy would be the Am. Dlx. Fender Jazz 5 in black with a Maple neck that come with some of my most favorite playing strings, but the Conklin would mean lots of uncharted territory with an extra 3 strings to fiddle with and the prospect of figuring out a massive butt load of chords. That, and an $95 set of strings!
Praise and Worship #976, Pedulla Club #127, EUB Club #19, Fender Jazz Bass Club #777, fretless Club #682, Florida Bassist #201 Source Audio Sourcerers Society #146 TC Electronics RH450 Club #92.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:16 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecRob
So what kind of gear does everyone use for praise and worship? Personally, I'm using a Rickenbacker 4003 strung with D'addario chromes with an Ampeg BA115 and vintage morley power wah boost and Big Muff (I don't use the muff very often haha)
I currently play a Pedulla PentaBuzz ( or Fender Jazz 4 Fretless, or Tacoma Thunderchief Fretless 5 or my NS CR-4T) into my Pedalboard starting with an ART A/B switch to TC PolyTune, to Zoom MultiPedal to Compressor/Sustainer, to Stereo Chorus to Passive DI to the board and/or Monitor or Hartke Rig.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:01 PM

Supporting Member
Posts like this make me think I need a fretless for church...
Old 12-16-2012, 05:02 PM
The Root Master

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
The L-rd did say to fret not.

I love my fretless basses. I will never go back to fretted.

Music is a language. What are you saying?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yRMbH36HRE

Being present in the mix, not cutting through
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcCjFTvUFls
Old 12-16-2012, 05:21 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeman View Post
I love my fretless basses. I will never go back to fretted.
You are not alone in that thinking. There seem to be a number of people who like a fretless for P&W playing.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Praise Harp

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecRob View Post
So what kind of gear does everyone use for praise and worship?
I currently play a Reggie Hamilton Standard Jazz with Precision Flats. I've also played my Deluxe Active Jazz with Precision Flats which lately has been uptuned for chords and just because. Both have Planet Waves or Snark headstock tuners. Everything else I use is the church's. My bass plugs into their Radial J48 and the wire from that disappears into a hole in the floor and I have no idea what happens to it after that! I have a couple more Jazz basses that are works in progress as far as my ever playing them in public is concerned: a Standard Fretless with Precision Flats and a Standard V with Pressure Wound Flats.

Ken
Old 12-16-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC
I used a fretless exclusively for years, but switched back about 10 years ago as the music seemed to take more of a rock edge. The fretless still comes out from time to time for the right song.
Dingwall Z1, Fender Jazz #799, Rickenbacker #418, SWR MoBass#45, P&W #1079, Fretless #726, California #64.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecRob View Post
Depending on the songlist?

2009 Fender Deluxe American Jazz V-Series Transparent Red for the softer/regular stuff.

2010 EBMM Stingray-5 Classic Powder Blue for a more up-beat/aggresive sound when needed.

Because I have the A-Designs REDDI tube direct box, I only need my onstage amp for monitoring purposes. I usually bring my Traynor DB-300T because it has the ability to slant like a wedge.

I just started IEMs using the ROLLS personal monitor (PM55) and Shure SE215's.

No effects. Ever. Never use'em. Polytune tuner. That's it.
Traynor#229 Fender Jazz Bass#902 Praise And Worship#1120 REDDI Club#1 Läkland#448
Old 12-17-2012, 04:04 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb777 View Post
I currently play a Pedulla PentaBuzz ( or Fender Jazz 4 Fretless, or Tacoma Thunderchief Fretless 5 or my NS CR-4T) into my Pedalboard starting with an ART A/B switch to TC PolyTune, to Zoom MultiPedal to Compressor/Sustainer, to Stereo Chorus to Passive DI to the board and/or Monitor or Hartke Rig.
Fancy active 5-string, with TI Jazz flats. Doesn't sound like you probably imagine- no onboard tone controls, and both pickups are P-Bass voicing (EMG 40P5's). Sounds very much like a P-bass with dull nickel rounds, but with just a bit more clarity and a few extra notes on the bottom.

Used to use a Turbo tuner into an Empress ParaEQ/ boost pedal, and an Ernie Ball volume pedal. Lately, I've been ditching everything but the tuner.

I do gigs with and without PA support, and with and without IEM's. Regardless, my G-K MB800 and a compact cab go everywhere with me, just in case. In the last six months alone, it's been a life-saver when:
- A couple of churches turned out to have fewer working channels on the snake than they thought, and I had to carry the house.
- Problems with stage mixes left me without any other monitoring, mid-gig.
- We found a defective powered monitor, 20 minutes before Sunday service.

I'm always prepared to go amp-less, but I have never been asked to do so. Some of the possible reasons:
- The novelty factor of a grandfatherly figure who knows how and when to rock out.
- I make a point of getting the cab up near my ear, and running the lowest monitor level on stage.
- I do a lot of road gigs with a guitarist who runs a vintage Marshall combo. No-one's got time to worry about the bass player...
- As a sound guy, I always geek out a bit with the crew, and make a point of asking if I'm too loud when I know that I'm not.
- I always help out with setup and teardown.
- My rig is a little Audio Kinesis single 12 that's smaller than an Aguilar GS, and a tiny G-K micro head. Before that, it was an even smaller Flite cab. People are disarmed by the "cute little amp", even though it packs a killer punch.
- My cab sounds like a studio monitor, I run my amp close to flat and don't use effects, so my stage sound tends to blend pretty seamlessly with FOH.
- A surprising number of the places I play have problems with "room boom", triggered by overly aggressive EQ or bad subwoofer setup. When I demonstrate that I'm willing to take instruction, plus my stage sound disperses well and reduces clutter in the low mids, they're often happy to let my amp do more of the heavy lifting.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:00 AM

A Pedulla Pentabuzz, haven't I looked at those for a number of years just can't pony up the funds.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:04 AM
Canuck Amateur

Supporting Member
Props to the PitchBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Knowlton View Post
The most important piece of gear I'm using is a Korg Pitchblack! Other than that, I usually use the Church's amp and DI (GK 400RB 2x10, some kind of DI), and a 5-string bass. I'm thinking of adding an Aguilar Tone Hammer (again) instead of the other DI.

Dan K.
I agree, I've had mine for a couple of years. Super easy to use before or during a set. Working with it is just quick and easy. It's supposed to be true bypass and it doesn't appear to change my tone. Our WL tried the whiz-bang TCElectronic "tune all strings at once" model, then he tried a BOSS for his acoustic guitar. Now he's settled on the PitchBlack too.

P&W Bassist Club # 236 / Sadowsky Club # 200
Genz Benz Club # 34 / LOG # 263
Reverend Club # 54 / Godin Club # 43

Last edited by Hawkeye : 12-17-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:16 AM
Canuck Amateur

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_rolfeca View Post
- My rig is a little Audio Kinesis single 12 that's smaller than an Aguilar GS, and a tiny G-K micro head. Before that, it was an even smaller Flite cab. People are disarmed by the "cute little amp", even though it packs a killer punch.
- My cab sounds like a studio monitor, I run my amp close to flat and don't use effects, so my stage sound tends to blend pretty seamlessly with FOH.
Good points in your response. I often will take the opportuity to engage the soundguy and ask him/her if they're getting what they need etc. If you want consideration, give some first. I will also point out if I am using an effect or changing pick-ups or tones for certain songs so that they know it's me, not a technical problem, and that I'll be dialing the effect or tone back for the next song.

I get the same reaction with my Promethean 5110 combo. It's such a cute little box, you wouldn't know that it can "bring it" when you dial up a few of its 250 watts.

Large cabs and heads are fear-inducing to some and scream "Monster Rig". I prefer the small and stealthy look these days. The smaller amp gives visual confirmation to the theory that you are considering only what's needed for the band, and do not have the capacity (nor the inclination) to "bring the house down".

P&W Bassist Club # 236 / Sadowsky Club # 200
Genz Benz Club # 34 / LOG # 263
Reverend Club # 54 / Godin Club # 43
Old 12-17-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
So what kind of gear does everyone use for praise and worship? Personally, I'm using a Rickenbacker 4003 strung with D'addario chromes with an Ampeg BA115 and vintage morley power wah boost and Big Muff (I don't use the muff very often haha)
G&L ASAT-> tuner -> Bassman 150 combo. The amp is tilted back toward me and the drummer. Use the direct out to the PA.

When travelling, use Ashown ABM evo II 15" combo and separate 15" cabinet.

For fretless, G&L L2000.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:07 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
My current chain is:

Spector NS95 (5-String)> Korg PitchBlack+ > Boss ODB 3 (with Monte Allums tri gain mod) > Fishman Fission (that I don't use often) > Boss Super Phaser > Heartke Bass Attack VXL > direct to the board, no amp, but have a monitor mix pretty much dedicated to the bass guitar running through a 12" wedge.
Praise and Worship Club #960 / SPECTOR ® Club Member #261 / Tricked Out Squire Club #198
Old 12-17-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Everyone else here sounds soooo exotic. I'm simply plugging my Lightwave Saber SL-5 into something called a "bass cube 60xl" that is loaded with all sorts of knobs that the sound guys (mis-)adjust; I'm not allowed anywhere near it. From there I have no idea what happens, except it just ain't audible.

M. <><
Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to scottz0369
I'm using an '83 G&L L1000 that I picked up over Thanksgiving for a great price through a Sonic Research ST200 > HBE Hematoma > Tech 21 SansAmp BDI > Carvin R600 w/18" ext which runs through the PA. I keep the stage volume pretty low though.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:37 AM

BlueLine1, sorry for missing you a few pages back. Welcome to the thread. Your number is 1176!

Last 10 #'s:

1167 Beersurgeon
1168 tigerfire
1169 GAPendragon
1170 marcomatic
1171 slappa_dat_bass
1172 skamaniac
1173 mizedog
1174 theLimeyBrit
1175 kbaxter26
1176 BlueLine1
P-bass Club member #377 - Traben Club #57 - Ampeg Club #575 - Fretless #728
Worship Bassist Club member #201 - Michigan Bassists #16 - 50+ Club #36 - Old Basstards #156
Closed Thread