Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Band Management [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Band Management [BG] Examining issues with band membership, interaction, politics, and management.

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 02-21-2013, 07:20 AM
Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateBass View Post
Tell me what they are, we probably do them too. I'll let you know how I choke through them....

PM me if you want to.....
Here is one

http://youtu.be/XxWjtWONuGc
Old 02-21-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbully View Post

PM coming.....
Old 02-21-2013, 09:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bassin'
I typically don't have an issue playing any song as long as the crowd gets into it but lately I've been having a problem with "Play That Funky Music". We actually do that song better than most bands-- we put the time into learning it correctly and we have the horn section to go with it that sets our version apart from 99% of the bar bands that do it in town. The problem I have is that our drummer considers it our "go to" song. It doesn't matter if were playing a blues club, high end country club, wedding, public event, whatever... he always thinks it's a song we HAVE to play. Like I said, I have no problem playing any songs, including that one, as long as the crowd gets into it, but I refuse to acknowledge "Play That Funky Music" as our "go to" song. We have so many other songs that are better that gets the crowds moving. I'm the one who makes our set lists and because of that I cringe whenever I come to that song. I know it's a song that works well in a lot situations but I just don't want to play it anymore.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 AM

"Play That Funky Music"... I've never been in a band that doesn't just hack that song to death. Too fast, too busy and too "white".

I probably wouldn't mind playing it if I was ever in a band that did it well.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Owner of the GK Angry Bird amp

Supporting Member
As someone who dances to cover bands, and a bass player, i never could see why if the floor clears, they keep at the song until it ends. People may still like the BeeGees, but if the floor clears, end it early and get the people back up dancing. If i go sit down or go outside with the smokers it takes a few songs, or a really good one to get me back up because i'm usually there alone. And because i'm alone, i watch the crowd a lot. One friends band added something new and then when no one danced asked me what i thought they did wrong. I looked up the original and they didn't do anything differently, it just didn't have a strong beat and wasn't fast enough to dance to.

Mediocre Bassist Club #703 - WA Bassist #74 - LGBT bass player #38 - Gallien-Krueger Club #904
Old 02-22-2013, 03:25 PM

HAHA! I've seen so many bands do "Play that Funky Music." Thankfully I've never had to play it other than in jest. It tops the cheese scale on many cover band setlists. Sometimes I feel sorry for the the poor bass player because the bands always seem to think this is the time to trot him out for some lame solo slapping nightmare.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:30 PM

Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings

Honestly, none. If it's a terrible song I won't play it.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaamE View Post
As someone who dances to cover bands, and a bass player, i never could see why if the floor clears, they keep at the song until it ends.
Our drummer won't allow it. He'll give us the cue and wrap it up after the first chorus if no one is dancing.

And we still do "Play That Funky Music." I play it straight, we do a really faithful rendition. It packs the floor each and every time in the circuit of clubs we play. There is no way we're taking that one off the playlist.

WANTED: Vintage Hagstrom Concord in RED
Old 02-25-2013, 09:42 AM

I played in a band that did really boring midwestern covers. Like the Bodeen's John who's your Mellencamp and Springsteen. Man the crowds love that stuff but it was so boring to play.

I tried to get a Female led cover band off the ground that only did 80 stuff. Pretenders Pat benetar stuff. That was a blessing in disguise when it didn't get off the ground.

I just feel lethargic even explaining that timeframe.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electracoyote View Post
And we still do "Play That Funky Music." I play it straight, we do a really faithful rendition.
Really? "I play it straight, we do a really faithful rendition"? Let me fix that for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by electracoyote View Post
And we still do "Play That Funky Music." I play that funky music right.
youtube.com/krowochron - Krappy Klub #2, redneck bassist #7, I back a hot singerbabe #22, doubleneck #4, cool strap #16, country #64
Old 02-25-2013, 06:27 PM

Here are a few songs I will never play, and no one can ever make me:

• My Best Friend's Girl - The Cars
  • All Right Now - Free
  • Some Kind of Wonderful/Can I Get a Waitress - Grand Funk
  • Gimme Three Steps - Skynyrd
  • Sweet Home Alabama/Werewolves/All Summer Long - You Know Who those are by
  • Walking on Sunshine - Katrina & the Waves
  • Any KISS Song, other than maybe "She"
  • Any Judas Priest song
  • Jack & Diane - Mellencamp
  • Start me Up - Stones
  • BORN IN THE USA
Fender Jazz Bass Club #762
Black N Maple Club #438
I am an Ass Club #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BawanaRik View Post
A false rape charge is millions of times worse that any "rape" that may or may not have happened.
What song is it you wanna hear?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:31 PM

Endorsing Artist: Unicornbass.se

Supporting Member
I wouldn't mind if I never had to play "Superstition" again. They always want me to slap it, and i'm all like, "He doesn't actually slap it on the recording ITS A CLAV",...no-one ever listens, so I'm just going to keep judging.