Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Band Management [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Band Management [BG] Examining issues with band membership, interaction, politics, and management.


Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-09-2014, 01:35 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Why do you play for free?

THis does not apply to original acts or benefits...

A group of people I play with that have a cover project together are a little butt hurt because a festival that had them play last year is not having them play this year..

Honestly, it's not that great of a festival, and unless you are from the immediate area you are likely to never of heard of it. ****** time slots, no pay unless you sell the tickets that they give you to sell (last year the guitar player gave them all away to his friends).

I had pretty much already said that I wasn't interested in playing given the fact there bands aside from the main headliners are not getting paid, and the fact that bands are given tickets to sell...To me, thats really just taking advantage of the acts in order to fill up the hours preceding the headline acts.

Bottom line for me is that given the amount of time, effort, and money musicians put into a band, playing for free is an insult.

So, what are your justifications for playing for free?
  #2  
Old 02-09-2014, 01:45 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke1 View Post
THis does not apply to original acts or benefits...

A group of people I play with that have a cover project together are a little butt hurt because a festival that had them play last year is not having them play this year..

Honestly, it's not that great of a festival, and unless you are from the immediate area you are likely to never of heard of it. ****** time slots, no pay unless you sell the tickets that they give you to sell (last year the guitar player gave them all away to his friends).

I had pretty much already said that I wasn't interested in playing given the fact there bands aside from the main headliners are not getting paid, and the fact that bands are given tickets to sell...To me, thats really just taking advantage of the acts in order to fill up the hours preceding the headline acts.

Bottom line for me is that given the amount of time, effort, and money musicians put into a band, playing for free is an insult.

So, what are your justifications for playing for free?
If I really like the music and the team involved in a startup project I may do a gig for free.
Hasn't happened in years however.
If a friend asks me I may also do it for free...has happened at times and does. Those are often Fun and a real nice get together. They are also a chance for me to repay favours
__________________
it's only music...but it sure is good for you.

Last edited by cnltb : 02-10-2014 at 10:35 AM.
  #3  
Old 02-09-2014, 01:56 AM
mjac28's Avatar
50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Great Midwest
GOLD Supporting Member
I can only think of exposure and experience for the band and if they give you tickets to sell and the only people who buy them are your friends and family or you have to give them away then maybe you aren't ready? now if people are begging to see you and you can potentially sell every ticket you can get your hands on then by all means you should be paid these small festivals operate on tight budgets and even the headliners aren't exactly getting rich doing them but it would be foolish to pay the acts that can't draw anyone.
__________________
Ohio Bassists Club # 230
Epiphone Bass Club #159
Honorary Wisconsin Bassist Member #10
Fuzzrocious Club #134
Variax Bass Club #2
Club Verellen #3
Ampeg Club #1024
Lone Wolf Club #5
  #4  
Old 02-09-2014, 02:17 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjac28 View Post
I can only think of exposure and experience for the band and if they give you tickets to sell and the only people who buy them are your friends and family or you have to give them away then maybe you aren't ready? now if people are begging to see you and you can potentially sell every ticket you can get your hands on then by all means you should be paid these small festivals operate on tight budgets and even the headliners aren't exactly getting rich doing them but it would be foolish to pay the acts that can't draw anyone.
But at the same time these acts are providing a service to the promoters by providing entertainment in the hours before the headliner appears..Sorry, but that logic does not hold up. The festival is sold out or almost sold out, people are there camping for the weekend and want to be entertained...the promoters are taking advantage of the bands "eagerness and enthusiasm" is how I see it.

Its like having someone new to the painting business come over and paint your house for free because they don't have a customer base.
  #5  
Old 02-09-2014, 02:48 AM
mjac28's Avatar
50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Great Midwest
GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke1 View Post
A group of people I play with that have a cover project together are a little butt hurt because a festival that had them play last year is not having them play this year..

Honestly, it's not that great of a festival, and unless you are from the immediate area you are likely to never of heard of it. ****** time slots,


I based my answer on what you said in your initial post if it's a bigger festival then I see your point if it's some little town festival not so much.
__________________
Ohio Bassists Club # 230
Epiphone Bass Club #159
Honorary Wisconsin Bassist Member #10
Fuzzrocious Club #134
Variax Bass Club #2
Club Verellen #3
Ampeg Club #1024
Lone Wolf Club #5
  #6  
Old 02-09-2014, 02:52 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Logan,W.V.(not up some holler)
I DON'T. Yes, I typed that in caps. The ONLY few times I've done it, was for fundraiser/charity work. Anything other than that? PAY ME, language edit - ~Mod. . I've been in this game way, way too long. Our band is too established, and we have lots of money is invested in the band.

Last edited by Pacman : 02-09-2014 at 09:29 AM.
  #7  
Old 02-09-2014, 02:57 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Colorado
Benefits, a very brief audition or maybe a party jam with friends aside I can't think of a single reason why any cover band would want to play for free. Originals bands often do it either to promote a CD or because they have to. If you're a cover band the only CDs you're selling are someone else's. So what does any cover band gain from freebies?

IMHO it's unprofessional to offer your services to others who are making money through your efforts. Tradesmen don't work for free and as musicians that's what your are, tradesmen with skills and your own set of tools and supplies to do the job correctly. If you don't see yourselves that way then give way to other bands who do and stop giving away your product so that others can make a living off of theirs.
__________________
CV Jazz Bass/Wilde J45s, Matt Freeman PBass/Wilde P46, GK MB112 combo, tc electronic BG250 Combo.
  #8  
Old 02-09-2014, 03:24 AM
Registered User

Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
3 reasons I'll play for free;

1. Occasionally there are those awesome friends who come out to countless gigs and spend their hard earned cash. Next, they ask you to play their party/BBQ etc. Usually I'm happy to bring out a small rig, play a few songs and eat my body weight in food.

2. If there's really great musicians or music involved. What bass player doesn't like playing with a top notch drummer?

3. It's to schmooze for a future paying gig. If a new club/bar opens up, I'll hit an Open Mic etc. with hopes to book a weekend gig there.
__________________
My Guitar World Gear Review Blog: guitarworld.com/user/166160
  #9  
Old 02-09-2014, 03:28 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Two scenarios in which I'll play for free: a) for a charity, church, or fundraiser, and b) when I've been taken for a ride ("Yeah man, it'll be a door deal. We'll get, like, 200 or 300 through the doors tonight, easy.")
__________________
Yamaha Club #247 | Eden WTDI Club #27 | Epiphone Club #153

New Rose Hotel | ambient / electronic / downtempo
  #10  
Old 02-09-2014, 08:03 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by millsbass5 View Post
I DON'T. Yes, I typed that in caps. The ONLY few times I've done it, was for fundraiser/charity work. Anything other than that? PAY ME,. I've been in this game way, way too long. Our band is too established, and we have lots of money is invested in the band.
^
THIS.

We put a LOT of time & effort into making damned sure we didn't suck before anyone ever heard us. We've earned (and are worth) our fee.
__________________
Rogue VB100 Club #1 / "Switch-Hitter's" Club #12 / New Jersey Bassists Club #200

Last edited by Pacman : 02-09-2014 at 09:30 AM.
  #11  
Old 02-09-2014, 08:13 AM
Registered User

Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South Shore, Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke1 View Post
So, what are your justifications for playing for free?

The only time I play for free is to benefit a good cause. I have done many shows to raise money for people who lost loved ones during the 9/11 terrorist attacks, fund raisers for mentally challenged children and for organizations raising money for cancer research. My band was just asked to perform at a cancer benefit in June. We said yes. I actually have more fun doing these shows than I do at many paying gigs.
__________________
"If you don't want the truth don't ask. Make up your own like everyone else does". (Michael Pare as Eddie Wilson/Joe West in Eddie and The Cruisers II).
  #12  
Old 02-09-2014, 08:14 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: COLORADO
I do it just to piss off all of you "pros".
  #13  
Old 02-09-2014, 08:16 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
There can't be many times where, if you agree to play for "free", you're not actually playing for "minus".

Unless you happen to have all your kit in your car, and you're passing the place on your way somewhere else then at the very least your're out gas money!

That makes "free" gigs "pay to play" ...

*ahem* )
  #14  
Old 02-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Because no one can afford me.
  #15  
Old 02-09-2014, 08:26 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I agree with everyone else. A charity event is one thing. I am willing to do my part to help out a family in need or a good local organization. If you're having an event for profit or want me to play at your club then SHOW ME THE MONEY! I've been doing this for too long to be expected to play for free. All of the money I have invested in gear, time in rehearsal, gas to the gig and you want me to hump my gear to your venue and play for free. I don't think so. Tell the bar owner you'll play for free if he donates the night's profits and his paycheck to charity.
  #16  
Old 02-09-2014, 08:28 AM
rubendlr's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Send a message via AIM to rubendlr Send a message via Yahoo to rubendlr Send a message via Skype™ to rubendlr
Supporting Member
For the love of playing and being heard and appreciated.
When I was younger and more religious, I did it for the glory of God.
Not that I'm older and not so religious, I will play for free beer.
Last but not least, as long as I'm having a good time, I don't mind not getting paid.

I might play with a friend doing a showcase at SXSW. But I probably won't see a dime. If I do great, if not, as long as I enjoy the music, it's cool.
__________________
Ruben Delarosa, Bassist for Six7teen (Pop Punk). Squier Short Scale Jaguar Bass, '83 Fender P-Bass tuned BEAD, Acoustic and Ampeg amplification.
  #17  
Old 02-09-2014, 08:28 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: montana
Bands that play for free for gigs that should pay are either business failures or else they realize that what they have to offer musically isn't worth anything.
__________________
Modulus quantum 5, Modulus vj, Lakland 55-02, Spector Euro4LX. Genz Benz shuttlemax 12.0, Genz Benz Uber 212, Uber 410, Shuttle 6.0 -12T combo.
  #18  
Old 02-09-2014, 08:30 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: COLORADO
not all bands are businesses.
  #19  
Old 02-09-2014, 08:30 AM
_____________
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonrider View Post
I do it just to piss off all of you "pros".
Chin up Norty, just keep practicing and maybe someday you'll get good enough to get a paying gig.
__________________
The process of coming to a conclusion is vastly more important than the conclusion itself.
  #20  
Old 02-09-2014, 08:32 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonrider View Post
not all bands are businesses.
not all bands are worth anything either. If you don't have the cajones to ask for pay from a bar gig then stay home.
__________________
Modulus quantum 5, Modulus vj, Lakland 55-02, Spector Euro4LX. Genz Benz shuttlemax 12.0, Genz Benz Uber 212, Uber 410, Shuttle 6.0 -12T combo.
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Visit TalkBass on Facebook   Download our iOS app   Download our Android app

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:56 PM.




2012 Talk Music Group Inc. All rights reserved.
Play guitar too? Visit TalkGuitar.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.