Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Basses [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 08-05-2006, 06:50 PM

A Bass with a Rickenbacker sound

I'm a big fan of paul mccartney, and i really like his rickenbacker bass sound. Unfortunatly rickenbackers aren't imported to my country, so can you recommend some other basses with a sound similiar to that of rickenbacker bass?
thanks
Old 08-05-2006, 06:59 PM

I had a 4003 when they first came out in the late 70's. I'm afraid there is no other bass that sounds like a Ric. JMHO.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to hartke20g
^^^ i agree. even though i've yet to play a ric, if there was a bass out there that sounds like a ric for a cheaper price it would've been mine. even though a fender '51 P (once modded with a neck pickup) should give a pretty close sound.
Off-Roading Club Member #4, Festivus Club Member #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakiSupaStar View Post
She still married me though, and has scars on her shins to remind her.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:09 PM

i didn't think that there's a bass that sounds EXACTLY like a rick, but that's the type of sound i'm looking for, what are the basses with most similiar sound (that don't cost a fortune)?

Last edited by No_Germs : 08-05-2006 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:18 PM

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass $699 (less with hasseling the salesperson)

I love mine its extremely growly, vintage looks (everyone complements me on how good of condition my "70's" jazz bass), and its a fender, so its great.

It is about as close to a Rickenbacker you can get except for maybe a Warwick, but it doesnt have the same vintage credibility.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:25 PM

really? IMO jazz bass is far away from a rickenbacker... it has a much more trebelish sounds... or am i completley wrong?
Old 08-05-2006, 07:28 PM

A Gibson Ripper will get you close...

Don't believe me?

Get Faith No More's "We Care A Lot", and "Introduce Yourslef" albums....

It's a grindy, Squire-like tone on those albums...but add flatwounds, and a cleaner amp...

Both basses are made from Hard Maple(neck and body), and have passive pups...I really feel the hard maple adds to the initial "thump" because of it's attack characteristics...

Besides that, I'd say get a 51 P bass(or reissue ) with the single coil P-pup and slab body...
Old 08-05-2006, 07:28 PM

Depends, I've found that some Jazzes have heavier tones than others, maybe its the body material or neck but my Geddy sounds deeper than any bass I've played.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Germs
really? IMO jazz bass is far away from a rickenbacker... it has a much more trebelish sounds... or am i completley wrong?
The clank of a Ric gets more aggressive as you turn them up through amps.... J basses seem to have this "clicky" treble to me, that is louder at low volumes, but gives way to warmth once you turn them up..Rics just get more touch-sensitive the louder they are...
Old 08-05-2006, 07:39 PM

hey, by the way you put it, maybe i'm wrong from the beginning- i'm looking for the bass sound similiar to that of "with a little help from my friends" or "Getting Better", i know it's played on a rick, and that's the typical rick sound for me, but maybe i'm wrong as mccartney plays mostely on the higher registers on those songs...

Last edited by No_Germs : 08-05-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:24 PM

I own a 1978 Rickenbacker 4003. I also own 8 Warwick Basses. The only reason I have the rickenbacker is to be able to play the old Rush stuff, my Warwicks are BY FAR the best sounding instruments I have found for my taste, but the Rick is for different purposes, is an instrument with a Nasty sound, but that is what Im looking for.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19870929
I own a 1978 Rickenbacker 4003. I also own 8 Warwick Basses. The only reason I have the rickenbacker is to be able to play the old Rush stuff, my Warwicks are BY FAR the best sounding instruments I have found for my taste, but the Rick is for different purposes, is an instrument with a Nasty sound, but that is what Im looking for.

They didn't make a 4003 in '78...not that I know of!?!?
Old 08-05-2006, 09:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tbirdbassist Send a message via MSN to Tbirdbassist Send a message via Yahoo to Tbirdbassist
The 4003 didn't appear until the 80's. I beleive the 4001 was discontinued as the "standard"in 1982 or 83. But it feeps reappearing in special editions and what not so I guess it technically hasn't been completly pulled from the line.

I've been questioning 19870929's creds lately. Every post I've seen of his has been praising towards Warwick. Just seems a little fishy to me...
Old 08-05-2006, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithNoMan
They didn't make a 4003 in '78...not that I know of!?!?
i stand corrected
Old 08-05-2006, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbirdbassist
The 4003 didn't appear until the 80's. I beleive the 4001 was discontinued as the "standard"in 1982 or 83. But it feeps reappearing in special editions and what not so I guess it technically hasn't been completly pulled from the line.

I've been questioning 19870929's creds lately. Every post I've seen of his has been praising towards Warwick. Just seems a little fishy to me...
i must admit im a huge fan. Really like the rick sound too, but for different purposes. :P. Im a big fan of MM too.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:41 PM

"lately"!! hes only made 10 posts
Old 08-06-2006, 12:20 AM

Ric:
http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/huntforslow.mp3

Peavey T-40 (in single coil mode on both pups)
http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/huntforslow2.mp3
Old 08-06-2006, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lug
The 2nd one sounds good, but is more of a J bass tone...it's missing the upper end "chime" of the Ric..

You can't hear the difference? Or is that just an approximation of a Ric sound?

It still sounds good, and makes me gas for a T-40 ....they are a nice dark contrast to my Ric...now that I have heard one...thanks!
Old 08-08-2006, 10:53 AM

ok, so let me rephrase my question:
what bass sound similiar to a rick?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithNoMan
The 2nd one sounds good, but is more of a J bass tone...it's missing the upper end "chime" of the Ric..

You can't hear the difference? Or is that just an approximation of a Ric sound?

It still sounds good, and makes me gas for a T-40 ....they are a nice dark contrast to my Ric...now that I have heard one...thanks!
Just so you know, in order to hold onto my Lakland and my Ric, I'm going to be putting my T-40 (with both fretted and fretless necks) up for sale, as soon as I get some better pics. It's in excellent condition and has got gobs of old-school mojo.

My avatar is Shenandoah

Saturday Night Orphans